Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very simple Access database help

Options
  • 10-03-2014 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I used to be pretty nifty with an Access database back in the day but I am a bit rusty so a little help/advice here would be appreciated. (I hope this is the right thread?).

In work I am creating a simple database that contains:
    • A list of current students.
    • A list of employers currently being used for work experience
    • A list showing progression (students who have left and gone to another course or got a job.

The database should be able to provide the following info:
    • What students are doing what modules.
    • What students are currently on work experience with an employer from the database.
    • Which students are not.

I think a lot of the info can be drawn using simple queries etc. I think once the tables are set up and linked via a relationship that process will follow easily enough.

So I am thinking a table with a list of all students with the primary field being their PPS number.

A table of employers that are being used for work experience.

But I am not certain as to how to link these tables via a relationship? As in what should be the linked fields?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭kidneyfan

I would suggest a Students table studentID, PPS, FNAME ,LNAME
    An employers table employerID, BUSNAME
    A work experience table ID, employerID, studentID,StartDate, EndDate

You join studentID to studentID with an inner join and employerID to employerID with an inner join

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

kidneyfan wrote: »
    I would suggest a Students table studentID, PPS, FNAME ,LNAME
    An employers table employerID, BUSNAME
    A work experience table ID, employerID, studentID,StartDate, EndDate

You join studentID to studentID with an inner join and employerID to employerID with an inner join

Thanks a million, I will tinker with that and see how I get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Try something like this:

298527.png

I've left out the bulk of the data fields you'll be using and concentrated more on the relationships between the different entities. Of note:
    • tbl_students.student_id could be their PPS number.
    • Student modules are covered using a many-to-many relationship.
    • Work experience employer is covered by a 1-to-many relationship as you've not specified that they can have more than one work experience employer in the course of their course. If they can, then you'll need to introduce a many-to-many relationship between tbl_students and tbl_employers, as well as 'from' and 'to' datestamps in the look-up table.
    • In the case of no employer or "gone to another course or got a job", you could use a combination of flags in tbl_students, not inforce a value for tbl_students.employer_id, or even create special employer entries for such cases.
    Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Thanks for your help. I have a quiet day in work tomorrow so I will put it into practice. :D

Advertisement