Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the best game legend/rumour you ever heard?

Options
  • 10-03-2014 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭

To give a classic example - the minus world in Super Mario World, which was actually real and could be gotten to through the Star Road but still existed as a rumour because not everyone had seen it and you couldn't necessarily look it up on the web or in a magazine. There were, of course, also those things that happened to you in a game which you swear happened (usually during the course of an all-nighter) but could never replicate for demonstration, thus starting your own rumour. It's not something which happens so much now but what was your best gaming rumour?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

I can't quite remember what it was you had to do in the game to "unlock" this - but I remember everyone in school talking about how they had seen a Lara Croft nude scene in the shower at the end of the first Tomb Raider, and frantically trying to replicate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Rumour - Duke Nukem Forever will be good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Resurrecting Aeries and catching Mew without a hack / special event - I'd wager the man hours spent attempting to achieve these goals could have made a serious dent in solving such problems as world hunger, climate change or mortality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

That shinobi could be beaten....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

In B4 HL3...

oh wait... :p

I remember the many investigations that were put into trying to unlock the final 4 bosses in Street Fighter 2 (Balrog, Vega, Sagat and M. Bison) on the SNES (I think it was) way back in the day. As I understand it, you couldn't but a subsequent edition of the game came out that did allow it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

You'd love this series OP

This covers them all essentially. One thing I hate about the internet. Ruins secrets like these :P The world was smaller in my day.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,829 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Half Life 3

Bigfoot in San Andreas

Never heard of the revive Aeris one haha

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Mew under a truck rumour from Pokémon Red/Blue, or a story that if you left a Pikachu at the day-care long enough the day-care owner would eventually say he'd lost your Pikachu and would give you a Marill in return (Gen 2 'mon in a Gen 1 game).

Pretty much any of those ridiculous rumours needed to unlock characters in fighting games, especially the ones that turned out to be true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Mew under a truck thing. And the cloning pokemon trick from second gen, which supposedly duplicated its item as well.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

cloud493 wrote: »
    Mew under a truck thing. And the cloning pokemon trick from second gen, which supposedly duplicated its item as well.
    Yeah, that worked all right once the cloned pokemon was holding the item.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

briany wrote: »
    To give a classic example - the minus world in Super Mario World, which was actually real and could be gotten to through the Star Road but still existed as a rumour because not everyone had seen it and you couldn't necessarily look it up on the web or in a magazine.

That's super mario bros, not world and its gotten to by glitch isn't trough the wall before one of the warp pipes.

Heard some ridiculous Mortal Kombat ones like hidden fatalities. Apparently Jax in MK2 could pull your genitals off and fling them at the screen. Should have known better than to believe that.

All the letters to magazines of the time asking for cheats to play as Goro was kind of funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

maximoose wrote: »
    I can't quite remember what it was you had to do in the game to "unlock" this - but I remember everyone in school talking about how they had seen a Lara Croft nude scene in the shower at the end of the first Tomb Raider, and frantically trying to replicate it.

There was a shower scene during the last level of tomb raider 2 wasn't there, I think her polygons were strategically covered though.

I remember reading a "cheat" in a magazine which went something along the lines of 'move Lara backwards and sideways to the tune of Never Ever by All Saints to see her take all of her clothes off'

Remember thinking it was pretty funny at the time, I bet someone out there tried it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

Resurrecting Aeries and catching Mew without a hack / special event - I'd wager the man hours spent attempting to achieve these goals could have made a serious dent in solving such problems as world hunger, climate change or mortality.

An actual glitch was found to unlock Mew 10 years after the fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭briany

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    That's super mario bros, not world and its gotten to by glitch isn't trough the wall before one of the warp pipes.

Heard some ridiculous Mortal Kombat ones like hidden fatalities. Apparently Jax in MK2 could pull your genitals off and fling them at the screen. Should have known better than to believe that.

All the letters to magazines of the time asking for cheats to play as Goro was kind of funny.

I'm aware of the minus world in Bros., but minus world was what I called Special World (or was it what came after completion of Special World?). Bad habit, I suppose. I'll try to stick to the preferred nomenclature.

Did anyone ever land the Hylian loach in Ocarina of Time? That's one of those things that I saw once ('til Youtube) but could never get again. I'd say that thing would have gotten you.....100 rupees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Unlock Sheng Long in SF2 by getting perfects in every round on 7 star difficulty.

My mate did it once after trying for weeks, no legendary master appeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

There was some cheat to make Lara naked but if you did it she blew up, eidos trolling the horny teens.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

snausages wrote: »
    An actual glitch was found to unlock Mew 10 years after the fact.

10 years after ?

I had Mew back in 97 or whenever it was released along with the other 150.

I remember all the talk about the chars in Mortal Kombat....Reptile, Ermac....yer man popping up all the time shouting "Toastie !!"

Oh, and there was a Metal Gear one..where you go back to Meryl in her cell over and over, and she ends up being in her panties. Turned out to be true

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

SeantheMan wrote: »
    10 years after ?

I had Mew back in 97 or whenever it was released along with the other 150.

I remember all the talk about the chars in Mortal Kombat....Reptile, Ermac....yer man popping up all the time shouting "Toastie !!"

Oh, and there was a Metal Gear one..where you go back to Meryl in her cell over and over, and she ends up being in her panties. Turned out to be true

the Toastie one did have a cheat though that's how you unlocked the fight against Jade, in Goro's level from MK1, think you had to win the first round using only low or high kicks or something then if the toastie guy appeared you input a quick command to jump into another fight, details are fuzzy.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

briany wrote: »
    Did anyone ever land the Hylian loach in Ocarina of Time? That's one of those things that I saw once ('til Youtube) but could never get again. I'd say that thing would have gotten you.....100 rupees.

I did, once. Once!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 saxon1

Obtaining sephiroth in final fantasy 7 without a cheat cartridge it can't be done though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Probably the Sheng Long stuff in SF2...it didn't help seeing Ryu say "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance..." in the game either...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

In the original fifa on the mega drive I managed to bicycle kick my mates player in the face. However, both of us remain convinced that there was a splash of claret that came from his player's head on contact

We couldn't both have been seeing things, but I really doubt ea put blood in a football game, but we could never replicate the legendary "bicycle kick to the head" incident sadly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Pikachu is in Mario Kart Super Curcuit for he GBA. Heard that a few times. Never saw it once.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

krudler wrote: »
    the Toastie one did have a cheat though that's how you unlocked the fight against Jade, in Goro's level from MK1, think you had to win the first round using only low or high kicks or something then if the toastie guy appeared you input a quick command to jump into another fight, details are fuzzy.

Jade was beating the last fight before Shang Tsung in MKII with just low kicks (and low kick related moves). Toasty was for fighting Smoke. I believe it was up and start when the Toasty dude showed up on the Portal background.

Ermac was kinda true too, though it was just a glitch. They made him into a real character then in UMK3.

One of my favourites was MKII's Kano Transformation. One of the secret lads appeared every so often and said "I've never seen a Kano Transformation". Kano wasn't playable in the game, but Shang Tsung could morph. Put two and two together and a long time was spent trying to turn Tsung into Kano. There was even a Kano Transformation counter in the options menu on the arcade can... Never actually existed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Burky126

The South Park episode in Tiger Woods PGA '99.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

The secret room in The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, always heard rumours about it and it freaked me out a bit at that young age, never found it and and never saw it, turns out though it was real and some kid had won some contest to get it his name and a message in the game, would of freaked me out more if I had seen the name, Chris Houlihan.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The whole 'Ben drowned' thing from Majora's Mask. I remember watching a video about it when it first came to light and I didn't sleep for a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Fawk Nin

A friend of mine lied saying Magikarp in smash bros melee would KO an opponent 1 in 100 times, I would always get excited when I got him in a pokeball.

Another one came from IGN. I literally can't believe my stupidity on this one.
    They put up an article on April 1st saying that if you completed Resi 4 on Cube only using like 5 saves or something you could play through it as Mario. In my defense I read the article months later so didn't make the April 1st connection, but still how stupid can a person be? So younger me played through the same about 6 times trying different things before the penny dropped. Great game though so don't have too many regrets.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Megaton

The huge Nintendo reveal that never was.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Yoshi being on the roof of the castle in Super Mario 64, turned out to be true as I found out years later with an emulator

Being able to get into the football stadium in GTA 3, one of my friends told me you could get in to watch matches so I spent ages trying to do it with the flying cars cheat and firing a tank in reverse, never managed to get in but looking back I'd assume it wasn't real anyway.

All sorts of rumours with pokemon, Mew, Missingno, breeding combinations, the unown things etc

Advertisement