Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the best game legend/rumour you ever heard?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Everquest had so many rumours based on beta or unannounced changes in patches. Of course questing in EQ makes Dark Souls look WoW style by comparison. Oh hand in 7 random items from 7 different mobs in 7 different zones to a NPC to get a key to a hidden zone (and all NPCs will accept any item you give them) or to find a quest you have to utter a correct key phrase while having suitable standings (over 3k quests were never found in the original game!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Apparently if you did x,y & z (can't remember) you could unlock Zack in FF7 in the crater at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

You could turn on the gore in the snes version of mortal kombat. A magazine played an April's fool joke which required sellotaping a coin to the cart, to fool the snes into thinking it was a Japanese cart or something with the added weight. Was ridiculously laborious with all sorts of pad combinations much like SF2 turbo.

I didn't fall for it but friends spent a whole weekend trying it. Pre Internet, the rumour spread like wild fire and it was never really discounted. Fairly sure some people in my school claimed to have got it to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Hesho

The PC version of the original GTA included an image of a helicopter in the manual.

The amount of off the wall theories that appeared on IGN at the time was crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

You could play the Snake and Ocelot sections in MGS2.

Forget if it was a cheat code or you had to do something.

I was left very disappointed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Harps wrote: »
    All sorts of rumours with pokemon, Mew, Missingno, breeding combinations, the unown things etc

Missingno was a real glitch that gave you a glitched Mew. If gotten him in my copy of Blue all those years ago. Took ages though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

The Pokemon ones go far beyond just Mew. In R/B/Y era, we used to line up in a internet cafe, and I recall Geocities pages were rife with schmozz about chiseling your cart's board to unlock the all powerful Pokegods: Pikablu, Mewthree and Togeking. I think it was at this point we dropped off the Poke-secrets wagon.

Mind, there's nothing quite like the bricking sensation when you'd inadvertently set off the Missingno glitch, get your screen going black for yonks and then boom, out pops your game's board to eat you for your ignorance. Well, that or a level 152 Mewtwo that slaughters your merry-band of pixels.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Half remember some rumour about being able to get a Pokegod in one of the caves in G/S, you had to use something like 100 repels and then wander around for an hour and it would show up, stupidly enough tried it twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Another Pokemon red/ blue one I heard when I was young was a rumour of a secret garden that could be accessed from the power plant. Apparently in this secret garden you could catch mew, squirtle, bulbasaur and charmander. Spent hours trying to find the entrance

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Shiminay wrote: »
    I remember the many investigations that were put into trying to unlock the final 4 bosses in Street Fighter 2 (Balrog, Vega, Sagat and M. Bison) on the SNES (I think it was) way back in the day. As I understand it, you couldn't but a subsequent edition of the game came out that did allow it.

The source of this rumour was the fact that Champion edition was released at about the same time in the arcade that World Warrior (the very first SF2) was released for SNES. I believe some people got the bosses working somewhat with Game Genie at the time, but they weren't properly playable on SNES til SF2: Hyper Fighting was released.
    penev10 wrote: »
    Unlock Sheng Long in SF2 by getting perfects in every round on 7 star difficulty.

My mate did it once after trying for weeks, no legendary master appeared.
    Myrddin wrote: »
    Probably the Sheng Long stuff in SF2...it didn't help seeing Ryu say "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance..." in the game either...

A lot of people don't know that the Sheng Long myth was in part due to a pre Photoshop fake article run in EGM where they even showed a mock up of him in the game. I can remember reading it now, I'd give a lot of money to own that issue.

Of course Capcom did then put in the character Akuma/Gouki in SSF2T as a small tribute to the Sheng Long myth.

Advertisement