Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Studding for Ridden Show classes

Options
  • 10-03-2014 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Can anyone recommend ideal studding for flat ridden classes, LW hunter, riding horse etc?

I don't want to restrict movement but due to having to gallop and that most classes are on grass, I feel a little support would be useful.

What type, where to put them (as in just behind) pro cons , would all be very useful!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

I stud on grass for ridden showing classes. What studs I use depends on the ground and the horse. if you are unsure what studs to use stick your finger in the ground and feel it - i.e. if its hard ground I would use small pointy studs but if its wetter ground you would need slightly bigger and thicker depending on what the grass coverage is like.
    if you are not jumping you mainly need something for grip. I learned my lesson last year where I had no studs in and the show was on wet ground which had a very thin covering of grass so no grip. I now stud for classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ElaineB13

Thanks for that! I think I need to look more into whether to just stud behind or not, sure il see what the ground is like on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 cartanora

Rounded studs for soft ground and pointed studs for hard ground. You probably will only need them behind unless ground conditions are particularly awful. They won't restrict your horses movement at all.

Advertisement