Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Djouce VS Sugarloaf

Options
  • 10-03-2014 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

Quick one, what's your favourite between these two walks? I've done the IMRA races for both, however I can't exactly remember much of either.

Thinking of heading out this weekend with a group of 4 people (2 visitors from overseas) but all relatively fit and able to walk each. We're thinking of driving out and maybe bringing some sort of a light picnic etc.

Am I right in thinking that Djouce has the option to return from the summit via that trail that lets you look down onto the waterfall?

Any pointers on either in terms of parking etc would be great! Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

johnk123 wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

Quick one, what's your favourite between these two walks? I've done the IMRA races for both, however I can't exactly remember much of either.

Thinking of heading out this weekend with a group of 4 people (2 visitors from overseas) but all relatively fit and able to walk each. We're thinking of driving out and maybe bringing some sort of a light picnic etc.

Am I right in thinking that Djouce has the option to return from the summit via that trail that lets you look down onto the waterfall?

Any pointers on either in terms of parking etc would be great! Thanks.

Djouce all the way imo.

Better view from the summit across the rest of the range, also have the option of heading down to get a look at lough Tay and luggala, which is always nice to see if any of your group haven't seen it before.

If your heading from crone woods car park you go past powerscourt waterfall.

Sugarloaf is shorter and a nice walk but you would be up and down in 2hrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

Djouce from Crone wood is a lovely walk,follow the Wicklow Way markings , and the view of Powerscourt waterfall (for free!) is great too. But bring a map (Sheet 56 OSI or East West mappings Wicklow mountains East). And as you have visitors, leave ABSOLUTELY NOTHING OF VALUE in your car! Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Djouce from Pier Gates is beautiful and IMO much better than the waterfall. There's parking along the road and an easy track up. As said above, leave nothing of value in the car.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:J_B_Malone_Memorial.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

Cheers Thanks guys!

Looks like it'll be Djouce all the way! I had been leaning towards that, but based purely on the waterfall, but it's great to get the info above.

The only thing I'd be a little nervous of is not finding the way, but you say follow the wicklow way signs, so I'll go with that and get myself a copy of the maps to have too. Best place to pick up the maps in Dublin? City center preferably!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

johnk123 wrote: »
    Cheers Thanks guys!

Looks like it'll be Djouce all the way! I had been leaning towards that, but based purely on the waterfall, but it's great to get the info above.

The only thing I'd be a little nervous of is not finding the way, but you say follow the wicklow way signs, so I'll go with that and get myself a copy of the maps to have too. Best place to pick up the maps in Dublin? City center preferably!

easons or great outdoors

• Advertisement
Advertisement