Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Device speed too slow to record"

Options
  • 10-03-2014 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, Folks.

I have a Seagate Expansion 2TB External HDD with its own power.I use it mostly for recording from a FTA satellite box I have. Last week I was transferring some stuff from the pc to this drive. I had placed the drive on too of the printer in the bottom shelf of the computer desk.It was connected to a usb socket on the front of the pc. I tripped, not once but twice on the usb cable and the hdd plopped down on the hardwood floor. After the second fall, the hdd would not work and I could hear a clicking in the drive.

After a spot of googling and downloading a few recovery apps, I got the hdd working again, as in transferring files to & from it. However in the course of recovering, I lost about 50% of my recordings and now when I try to record I get the above message. I tried it on another FTA box and got the same message. It worked a treat before the falls. I have reformatted it, but to no avail.

Is there any way I can get it going full tilt again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

'click of death', its the read/write head that makes the clicking sound. You were lucky to get back 50%. But a new HDD is needed. Wish i had better news.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 mhaise

When a hard drive is knocked on the floor it's usually the end of things. This happens because the Read/Write heads are not parked.

Normally when you shut down your computer the Read/Write heads are parked so in the event of a knock they are locked in position so no damage done to hard drive.

It shows how important that everyone backs up their important data regularly.

In the event of a hard drive fail while you get hit in the pocket if you have backed up it's simply a matter of restoring the backup.

Contrary to popular belief hard drives are very delicate items and can fail at any time.

With new flash drives getting cheaper and more popular, the days of the whirring hard drive will be soon like the floppy disks (remember them?) will be confined to history

They say that to ensure your digital files they must exist in 3 different locations whether it's on a CD, DVD, External HDD or other media

So remember: Backup, Backup and Backup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

Save a Failed Hard Drive in Your Freezer
    Remove the hard drive from the computer.
    Place the hard drive inside of a zip top freezer bag. (don't buy a
    cheap bag.)
    Place the wrapped hard drive inside of ANOTHER zip top freezer bag.
    (yes, you need to do this)
    Place the double wrapped hard drive in the coldest part of your
    freezer.
    Leave the hard drive in the freezer for 12 hours at least. You want
    it good and cold! (see figure 2 below)
    Once very chilled, install the hard drive in your computer and
    start pulling off data. Begin with the most valuable data.
    At some point, the hard drive will fail again. When it does, mark
    the last successfully copied data, pull out the hard drive, double wrap
    it again and stick it in the Chill Chest for another 12 hours.
    You may need to do this a number of times to get all the data you
    want, or until the hard drive stops working completely.
    Worth a shot.

Edit: Just noticed you wiped the drive. This won't help you now I suppose.

Advertisement