Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UL questions!

Options
  • 10-03-2014 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi I'm trying to transfer to UL English and History from a different college. Thinking maybe I should just book accommodation incase even if it doesn't happen! The application asks for your cao or UL student number but as I have neither I don't know what to put down. Also i've been reading a lot of threads on this about co-op and people saying they couldn't get any but I thought it was compulsory? Its something you need to know about before booking a full year of accommodation. I'm also very worried about joining in the course in its second year, will I be able to make friends? I'm almost thinking of just starting back at 1st even though it might be possible for me to transfer to 2nd year. Fees and and an extra year in college are stopping me! Anyone have any advice please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Give Plassey Campus Centre a call about the application form - they manage the villages and they've probably dealt with this situation before. Unless you're a mature student, you should be able to find your CAO number easily enough - some colleges even use it as the student ID number. There are always a certain number of places reserved for new students - PCC can advise you if you will be able to avail of one of these if you're transferring in.

Regarding Co-Op, yes it's compulsory but there's an alternative programme which caters for those who are unable to find a placement. It usually involves doing some modules that are outside of your usual course on a pass/fail basis. The campus accommodation is used to dealing with Co-Op too and offer half-year rates. The course prospectus will tell you when Co-Op happens on your intended course so you can plan ahead for it.

Whether you can make friends or not is up to you really. It's like joining any new group of people, you'll have a week or two of being a bit awkward until you get to know them and who you can get on with then it'll be fine. If you have friends already going here, they'll probably be quite happy to take you under their wing a bit until you find your feet. Clubs and societies are a great way to meet like-minded people too.

Advertisement