Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Stage 3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Tras.com

ann.lewis wrote: »
    Are you in the irish stream to go through ?

Yeah...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ShodenMcClane

I had mine today. Nightmare. I was fit as a fiddle for the last year until Tuesday, since when I've been in bits with a cold. Went in today, head absolutely swimming with the cold, sneezing the whole time. Couldn't make sense of some of sentences in the verbal my head was swimming so much, I mean I could understand the words but no matter how many times I read the sentences it just wasn't sinking in. Wasn't too bad after a few, but still wasn't at my best at all. That's life I suppose, you need luck for these things too!

On a side note there was about 10 empty desks with names on them. If you extrapolate that out over the other days that's a lot of people missing!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ann.lewis

I had mine today. Nightmare. I was fit as a fiddle for the last year until Tuesday, since when I've been in bits with a cold. Went in today, head absolutely swimming with the cold, sneezing the whole time. Couldn't make sense of some of sentences in the verbal my head was swimming so much, I mean I could understand the words but no matter how many times I read the sentences it just wasn't sinking in. Wasn't too bad after a few, but still wasn't at my best at all. That's life I suppose, you need luck for these things too!

On a side note there was about 10 empty desks with names on them. If you extrapolate that out over the other days that's a lot of people missing!

Awh no way. Sorry to hear you're a little under the weather. Not to worry. Look, you did your very best and at least you won't have all that long to wait till results. A few days really for every one now who are doing tests tomorrow and those that did them today.

Hang tough folks. Almost there

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

Sounds like a good few have gone which seems very strange. Everyone on boards seems really dedicated and enthusiastic. It's hard imagie that that many people would drop out.

Awh no way. Sorry to hear you're a little under the weather. Not to worry. Look, you did your very best and at least you won't have all that long to wait till results. A few days really for every one now who are doing tests tomorrow and those that did them today.

Hang tough folks. Almost there

Cheers Ann, yeah I'm not too worried, I know I did the best I could. You can't account for luck! Yeah, they said mid April which isn't that far away I suppose!
    Archer3083 wrote: »
    Sounds like a good few have gone which seems very strange. Everyone on boards seems really dedicated and enthusiastic. It's hard imagie that that many people would drop out.

I suppose though, the more enthusiastic you are the more likely you would be to seek information and post here!

They also said that the first class wouldn't be starting till the END of July which is a pity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Don't worry too much.

That seems to be a pretty common theme! I felt I fell down too. How'd you find the report writing?

They also said that the first class wouldn't be starting till the END of July which is a pity.

As long as it starts some time :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

Not sure if posted already but well worth a look at these videos. Hope it doesn't turn people off the job!

http://www.adweek.com/adfreak/british-ads-capture-often-brutal-horrors-police-work-156506

Rothmans wrote: »
    Don't worry too much.

That seems to be a pretty common theme! I felt I fell down too. How'd you find the report writing?

Think it went okay. Hard to tell though, you know yourself!

• Advertisement

Think it went okay. Hard to tell though, you know yourself!

I do indeed, I do indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Alkers

Myself and a couple of others from boards have dropped out at this stage. PAS were also unwilling to accommodate people who couldn't turn up for their allocated time so that's bound to have knocked a few people out also.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭mycro89

How many of the 600 do ye think actually dropped out at stage 3??

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Mistabutts

mycro89 wrote: »

It would be hard to tell, there weren't many empty desks when i went up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

I don't think it will matter too much. Logic dictates they would have taken this into account. I wouldn't be surprised if a good 50/60 did not attend considering you are dealing with a large number i.e. 600. I was sceptical a few weeks ago but listening to what others have posted it does seem like they are confident in getting the numbers they want i.e. 210.

Nobody has had to disclose his or her qualifications as yet. I would wager that the bulk have third level qualifications. Considering how the economy has gone since the last recruitment in 2008 the days of numerous lads getting in direct from leaving cert is well and truly over as they will be competing against a higher number and calibre of candidate. There is probably a fair amount applying with Masters and 10/15 years work experience. A sad state of affairs but the economy really is in the toilet with people desperate for a job they see as secure with a pension attached.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

I think there were 40 odd tables and chairs in the assessment room and roughly 5 or so empty when I was doing mine. If I were to guess I'd say around 20 -30 people.

• Advertisement

Just responding to redout on the majority of those 600 having 3rd level qualifications, it's quite possible that PAS know this already, although I doubt it. Around 5-10 years back you had to give your pps number to the college that you did your qualification with because of some new EU directive, so basically all your 3rd level degrees are associated with your pps number. You had to give your pps number when applying to PAS for AGS. So, I'm guessing that PAS could have checked this up already through some database.

Like I've said already, I doubt this would have happened. I'd say every one is getting the same treatment whether they have 3rd level degrees or not. If you pass the aptitude tests you move forward, if you fail the tests you're out.

Just responding to redout on the majority of those 600 having 3rd level qualifications, it's quite possible that PAS know this already, although I doubt it. Around 5-10 years back you had to give your pps number to the college that you did your qualification with because of some new EU directive, so basically all your 3rd level degrees are associated with your pps number. You had to give your pps number when applying to PAS for AGS. So, I'm guessing that PAS could have checked this up already through some database.

Like I've said already, I doubt this would have happened. I'd say every one is getting the same treatment whether they have 3rd level degrees or not. If you pass the aptitude tests you move forward, if you fail the tests you're out.

I wouldn't have thought that PAS would have access to that information. Most of the government departments have no exchange of information, which is quite truly shocking. There was a big debate over this a couple of years ago in relation to revenue and the department of social in regards to persons claiming benefits etc. I believe that those two have started to implement some sort of IT upgrade whereas they can now share information. Also data protection law complicates things in regard to government/organisations etc. disclosing peoples information.

redout wrote: »
    I wouldn't have thought that PAS would have access to that information. Most of the government departments have no exchange of information, which is quite truly shocking. There was a big debate over this a couple of years ago in relation to revenue and the department of social in regards to persons claiming benefits etc. I believe that those two have started to implement some sort of IT upgrade whereas they can now share information. Also data protection law complicates things in regard to government/organisations etc. disclosing peoples information.

Regardless whether they do or do not have access to this information I don't think they would use it at all. You get your degree at templemore, what difference would an unrelated degree have to a guard other than to make it easier to jump ship if a better offer comes along.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

No need to be getting hung up on qualifications. There's a big difference between education and intelligence. Hopefully an interview board will recognise this

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    No need to be getting hung up on qualifications. There's a big difference between education and intelligence. Hopefully an interview board will recognise this
    Obviously intelligence and Education are 2 very different things, but there's nothing wrong with having both. There's no point in getting into old debates about reserves vs non-reserves, people with 3rd level degrees vs people who have Leaving Cert and so on. The simple fact of the matter is that there are basic requirements, and a 3rd level degree is not a basic requirement. Everyone has their own qualities, aptitudes and talents.

• Advertisement

Regardless whether they do or do not have access to this information I don't think they would use it at all. You get your degree at templemore, what difference would an unrelated degree have to a guard other than to make it easier to jump ship if a better offer comes along.
    Obviously intelligence and Education are 2 very different things, but there's nothing wrong with having both. There's no point in getting into old debates about reserves vs non-reserves, people with 3rd level degrees vs people who have Leaving Cert and so on. The simple fact of the matter is that there are basic requirements, and a 3rd level degree is not a basic requirement. Everyone has their own qualities, aptitudes and talents.

I don't give a hoot whether or not someone has a third level qualification or whether or not they are a GR. Point I am making is that those who just done the leaving cert are no longer going to be getting in in the numbers they once were as they now have a higher number and calibre of candidate to compete with. It is simple numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

Agreed but theres no gettin away from the fact that education is highly desired by employers and will be definite +1

WilcoOut wrote: »
    Agreed but theres no gettin away from the fact that education is highly desired by employers and will be definite +1

In a lot of jobs yes. In this job that they are sending you to college in to get a degree? I'm not so sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Swoop23

In a lot of jobs yes. In this job that they are sending you to college in to get a degree? I'm not so sure.

It would show that you have the ability to study and finish a degree if you already have one. It's a lot harder than a leaving cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Swoop23

Pas selected people through the public jobs website. If you filled in your level of education on your profile then they will have access to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

Swoop23 wrote: »
    It would show that you have the ability to study and finish a degree if you already have one. It's a lot harder than a leaving cert.

If they are still using the competency based interview you're education won't be a factor unless you bring it up as an example of meeting one of the competencies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Swoop23 wrote: »

It's also shows you have ambition and not hooked on just joining the guards. It also gives you options..

Look at the amount of people who have already dropped out.. Hopefully most have better jobs to go to.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭timwynne

sending you to college? eh no

you will be attending their college where they teach you to do things the way they want you to. Its not education, its training

you are getting a BA in policing that you are paid to undertake

I was there, I know exactly what the drill is

timwynne wrote: »
    sending you to college? eh no

you will be attending their college where they teach you to do things the way they want you to. Its not education, its training

you are getting a BA in policing that you are paid to undertake

I was there, I know exactly what the drill is

That's pretty obviously what I meant. As I said, how would an irelivant degree make for a better member of AGS?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭timwynne

That's pretty obviously what I meant. As I said, how would an irelivant degree make for a better member of AGS?

its all in the teaching isnt it?

i had to be up and in class for a certain time, paid to be there. I wanted to be there, more than anything, but I am just talking generally. alot of guys I work with were built for policing the streets so a lecture room was hell to them.

My other half is quite the academic and she has studied so hard. I was never that type. she has drive and commitment and all the financial investment was from her own pocket,. thats what having a college degree represents - hardwork, self discipline, focus

being contractually obliged and financially incentivised to pass an exam pales in comparison to what my other half has under taken

• Advertisement

timwynne wrote: »
    thats what having a college degree represents - hardwork, self discipline, focus

I take it you've never been to University so. Your other half may well be all those things but the amount of idiots who come out with degrees that don't have any of those qualities is staggering.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

I take it you've never been to University so. Your other half may well be all those things but the amount of idiots who come out with degrees that don't have any of those qualities is staggering.

so to sum up this thread as of late

Theres idiots with degrees

theres idiots without degrees

theres smart people with degrees

theres smart people without degrees

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭mycro89

Irelivant? Define some Irelivant degrees in your opinion

Irelivant? Define some Irelivant degrees in your opinion

*Irrelevant, my apologies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Scouser wrote: »
    so to sum up this thread as of late

Theres idiots with degrees

theres idiots without degrees

theres smart people with degrees

theres smart people without degrees

Not forgetting the smart idiots with degrees and the smart idiots without degrees

Yup, bottom line is a degree isn't a requirement. It may or may not be of benefit, we don't know, we are just speculating.

Now lets all do a bit of back slapping about how great we are for ending this discussion and move on to the next topic that we can bull**** and speculate about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

you will eventually talk about your qualifications in the interview, guaranteed.. It'll look impressive to have at least some form of college education.

Any prison officer or guard that I know has an irrelevant degree.. and i'v been advised by them to do that as it keeps my options open. Having a degree/college education, good work experience and volunteering and they won't be able to knock you for anything..

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Ladymuck Thesecond

Hi everone, I can't make my assessment date- a really genuine reason. Does anyone know who I should contact about this? Or do I just ring PAS? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Carroller

Hi everone, I can't make my assessment date- a really genuine reason. Does anyone know who I should contact about this? Or do I just ring PAS? Thanks

PAS directly as i think was mentioned in the thread already, but as previously stated they wont accomodate you and if you dont go you will be ruled out of the competition.

• Advertisement

When is it for?

• Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

They are totally inflexible , I had a problem with my date and contacted them but it was a no go. So I just had to go with the date given.

How many more days of tests this week?

The wait is killing me

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Mistabutts

The wait is killing me

Ditto

• Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

The wait is killing me

Know how you feel but nothing to do but wait and hope for the best

I was kinda hoping the results would be this week because they have been early all along but probably not this time.

This is the hardest waiting yet. Everytime I get an email alert on my phone I panic but its always map my run or something that's a complete let down :(

• Advertisement

I was kinda hoping the results would be this week because they have been early all along but probably not this time.

This is the hardest waiting yet. Everytime I get an email alert on my phone I panic but its always map my run or something that's a complete let down :(

Yeah, probably not. Stage three english stream is still being run today and you have Irish stream starting this week too. We could get the results next week but I'd be surprised if it wasn't the week after but that's just speculation.

Arrg, the wait is a killer though!!

Raider190 wrote: »
    Know how you feel but nothing to do but wait and hope for the best

Thank you for that raider

Yeah, probably not. Stage three english stream is still being run today and you have Irish stream starting this week too. We could get the results next week but I'd be surprised if it wasn't the week after but that's just speculation.

Arrg, the wait is a killer though!!

Are the english people still in today ? I thought they were finished on friday and the irish people we're starting today. Oh I dunno....what I do know is, im going off my head haha !

Irish crowd are in on Thurs and Fri morning, so I'd say there's only a day and half in total.

On the report writing. Do they give you clear instructions as to how they want the report written, or do they just leave it up to yourself to come up with your own structure?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 bean91

Yeah, it's basically your own sort of grasp on the info they supply you with. It's then your choice to lay it out whatever way you like.

• Advertisement
Advertisement