Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Stage 3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

Well that could go well and it could go badly. I guess I'll figure it out myself on the day. I'm thinking maybe straight forward information in bullet points might be better to go with than narrative/paragraphs. So, I think that's the approach I'm going to take. I think you'll definitely get more information across that way, and less likely to forget bits

• Registered Users Posts: 12 bean91

Yeah. As long as you have the relevant information in the report, I wouldn't worry too much about the layout. I just took my notes and then relayed as much a could back again. Hope it goes well for you and best of luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ShodenMcClane

ann.lewis wrote: »
    Are the english people still in today ? I thought they were finished on friday and the irish people we're starting today. Oh I dunno....what I do know is, im going off my head haha !

Yeah, it said in the familiarisation that stage three tests would be running until the first. I'm not sure if they meant inclusively or not so the last ones are today or tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

I'm getting really antsy now, a real sense of fear :(

The wait is really killing me.

I was kinda hoping the results would be this week because they have been early all along but probably not this time.

This is the hardest waiting yet. Everytime I get an email alert on my phone I panic but its always map my run or something that's a complete let down :(

I wonder will the release our results a week or so earlier than the Irish results, like stage 2 results?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Chem Lord

Rothmans wrote: »
    I wonder will the release our results a week or so earlier than the Irish results, like stage 2 results?

Only time can tell! And I'm afraid that's going to be the answer to most questions on this thread between now and when the results are released :(

Chem Lord wrote: »
    Only time can tell! And I'm afraid that's going to be the answer to most questions on this thread between now and when the results are released :(

Aye, here's hoping for the best!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

All the best to everyone waiting for results, hopefully the wait won't be too long!

I'm bored, care to join me in some speculation?

How many people do we think are going through to the interview stage? I asked PAS at the stage three tests Q&A section and they didn't know or else they were avoiding the question. I'm getting the feeling they are only concentrating on getting 110 people for the first class at the moment, out of the 750 (I'm guessing 150 Irish stream people) that 50-60 never showed up, 200 will fail, 250 will be on a waiting list and 250 get through.

Anyone think likewise or otherwise? Probably completely pointless as no one was even close to calling the numbers cut off for stage 1 & 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

I'm bored, care to join me in some speculation?

How many people do we think are going through to the interview stage? I asked PAS at the stage three tests Q&A section and they didn't know or else they were avoiding the question. I'm getting the feeling they are only concentrating on getting 110 people for the first class at the moment, out of the 750 (I'm guessing 150 Irish stream people) that 50-60 never showed up, 200 will fail, 250 will be on a waiting list and 250 get through.

Anyone think likewise or otherwise? Probably completely pointless as no one was even close to calling the numbers cut off for stage 1 & 2.

Its usually a 4 to 1 situation : 4 interviewed per 1 position available

So id say atleast 400

• Advertisement

Numbers have been crazy in other stages so I won't even speculate!

I was about to try do some scrappy April fools joke regarding results or places but I know how much it means to ye so thought better of it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BRB

Long time reader, first time poster.
    Had my assessment on Friday. The wait is definitely going to be the worst part. I can't imagine how people feel who had theirs the previous week!
    They said in the Q&A that they are expecting to take in around 100 for the end of July, and didn't say much about any other in-takes after that.

Good luck to all.

BRB wrote: »
    Long time reader, first time poster.
    Had my assessment on Friday. The wait is definitely going to be the worst part. I can't imagine how people feel who had theirs the previous week!
    They said in the Q&A that they are expecting to take in around 100 for the end of July, and didn't say much about any other in-takes after that.

Good luck to all.

Yeah, they were being really cagy about that too. I suppose they don't know themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ann.lewis

Few people here in work being sent for the Long Weight !! This is a long wait :(

Good oul April Fools right in the middle of this for us.

Sure we may as well laugh now :) while we can !

Yeah, they were being really cagy about that too. I suppose they don't know themselves.

People even asked how many they expect to cut from this stage and they couldn't give an answer. This lack of information is one of my main causes of worry. Although I don't think the fault lies with PAS.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭octigen

People even asked how many they expect to cut from this stage and they couldn't give an answer. This lack of information is one of my main causes of worry. Although I don't think the fault lies with PAS.

Granted it has been hard to predict the cuts this far however I would think there will be around the 450-500 in stage 4. They will start the interview process on the ranking scores from Stage 3. They will send suitable candidates forward to AGS for physical/medical and the first 105 to pass all stages will start training at end of July. The others who pass but are not in the first 105 will be put on a panel and called for next round of training. It is not for PAS to say when the next batch of trainees will start but it has been indicated end of October (either way it will be by end of year).

Whenever the panel is exhausted they will start to go back along the other bands in the process.

I can not see how the process could work any different from above. As regards results I would think next Monday at the earliest but will probably be later.

octigen wrote: »
    Granted it has been hard to predict the cuts this far however I would think there will be around the 450-500 in stage 4. They will start the interview process on the ranking scores from Stage 3. They will send suitable candidates forward to AGS for physical/medical and the first 105 to pass all stages will start training at end of July. The others who pass but are not in the first 105 will be put on a panel and called for next round of training. It is not for PAS to say when the next batch of trainees will start but it has been indicated end of October (either way it will be by end of year).

Whenever the panel is exhausted they will start to go back along the other bands in the process.

I can not see how the process could work any different from above. As regards results I would think next Monday at the earliest but will probably be later.

Yeah, most of us think that's how it will be done, the question on everyone's lips is how many out of the 750 will they fail and how many will be brought straight through to stage 4.

I've ranked pretty high in the other stages but my handwriting (by the by, still handwriting reports in 2014?!?!) is relatively poor so I'm quite nervous about this one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭Shifty13

still handwriting reports in 2014?!?!)

Its not about your hand writing it's about your proficiency with the English language. Any idiot can use spell check (not calling you an idiot, general statement).

Plus you write in your notebook and that can be used as evidence in court.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭octigen

Yeah, most of us think that's how it will be done, the question on everyone's lips is how many out of the 750 will they fail and how many will be brought straight through to stage 4.

I've ranked pretty high in the other stages but my handwriting (by the by, still handwriting reports in 2014?!?!) is relatively poor so I'm quite nervous about this one!

To finish in the top 600 after stage 2 you would have needed to score very highly in both verbal and inductive so its unlikely anyone would drop so much as to fail in these 2 areas (pass rate was 350 for stage 2 on both - top score was 800). The job simulation was only a few questions so I would think most will reach a pass mark anyway... although personally I found this challenging and changed my answers the more I looked at it. I could have done really good or really poor in this section. Majority of fails will be due to report writing but still I would think the a reasonable effort would get a pass mark. If there is 700 (including Irish stream) who did stage 3 I would be amazed if there is not a minimum of 500 left after results and brought in order of merit to stage 4.

octigen wrote: »
    To finish in the top 600 after stage 2 you would have needed to score very highly in both verbal and inductive so its unlikely anyone would drop so much as to fail in these 2 areas (pass rate was 350 for stage 2 on both - top score was 800). The job simulation was only a few questions so I would think most will reach a pass mark anyway... although personally I found this challenging and changed my answers the more I looked at it. I could have done really good or really poor in this section. Majority of fails will be due to report writing but still I would think the a reasonable effort would get a pass mark. If there is 700 (including Irish stream) who did stage 3 I would be amazed if there is not a minimum of 500 left after results and brought in order of merit to stage 4.

I changed a few of my answers after reading over a few. I feel it was probably my worst scoring section of the assessments. I imagine they would be lenient with handwriting, unless it is completely illegible. Hopefully they take the 450-500.

I'd expect the results near the end of next week or possibly the Monday after that.

I changed a few of my answers after reading over a few. I feel it was probably my worst scoring section of the assessments. I imagine they would be lenient with handwriting, unless it is completely illegible. Hopefully they take the 450-500.

I'd expect the results near the end of next week or possibly the Monday after that.
    What sort of handwriting did you use? Did you use your normal handwriting or did you more or less use block capitals like when filling out a form? It's much slower to use block capitals, but maybe safer

Archer3083 wrote: »
    What sort of handwriting did you use? Did you use your normal handwriting or did you more or less use block capitals like when filling out a form? It's much slower to use block capitals, but maybe safer

It was my normal handwriting, may be a little rushed. However, I think my handwriting is legible enough! Report looked neat and I thought it was laid out well.

Would block capitals be over the top?

I'm in tomorro for my testing. I'm probably over thinking things at this stage. I think block capitals would be a bit over the top, but at the same time I don't want to mess anything up. I've done plenty of college exams, and never had any issues with my writing

I'm in tomorro for my testing. I'm probably over thinking things at this stage. I think block capitals would be a bit over the top, but at the same time I don't want to mess anything up. I've done plenty of college exams, and never had any issues with my writing

To be honest, I'd say you'll be fine! Just make sure its well spaced.
    Been doing college exams myself and it's never been an issue. Good luck tomorrow, aptitude tests were pretty much the same as the ones we've done in the previous stages.
    Just keep calm and you should do well! Hopefully we'll get an interview!

• Advertisement

Yeah, the more I think of it 4 - 500 people to the interview stage would make most sense from their point of view. The question is whether or not they have the budget to interview 400+ people. I think someone mentioned bringing less in in batches to interview by order of merit until they have a good enough panel, this makes most sense if they can't afford to bum rush their budget by bringing 500 straight through to interview.

Yeah, I changed a lot of answers at the questionnaire stage too, soo hard to know what the best answers were.

I just used my normal handwriting even though it's not great but I really wasn't sure if I would have enough time or not. Ah well, did my best!

I hope it doesn't go that route but I feel that could be case. Depending on budget, which I imagine is fairly limited!

Although, would they not interview everyone that gets through? Pick suitable candidates then have others waiting for the next slot in training?

Although, would they not interview everyone that gets through? Pick suitable candidates then have others waiting for the next slot in training?

That seems the most sensible imo. Create a panel and bring them forward for medicals and physicals as required.

I hope it doesn't go that route but I feel that could be case. Depending on budget, which I imagine is fairly limited!

At a guess I'd say they'd have loved to have interviewed all 13,000 that passed stage 1 as it would keep them all busy as hell and in jobs but as you mentioned the budget is probably quite limited!

At a guess I'd say they'd have loved to have interviewed all 13,000 that passed stage 1 as it would keep them all busy as hell and in jobs but as you mentioned the budget is probably quite limited!

True, but the 450-500 that could pass this stage seems like a more reasonable amount to interview.

Side note: How long would an interview, if successful at this stage, last?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 bort_license

This maybe jumping the gun. I imagine there will be about 250-300 being interviewed for the 105 positions for end of July start of August intake.

The remainder of those from stage who haven't sat stage 3 exams, 600< 1200 will be in the same procedure as we are in now and will be taking for test and then possibly for interview in October.

Just my thoughts on the whole thing! :)

This maybe jumping the gun. I imagine there will be about 250-300 being interviewed for the 105 positions for end of July start of August intake.

The remainder of those from stage who haven't sat stage 3 exams, 600< 1200 will be in the same procedure as we are in now and will be taking for test and then possibly for interview in October.

Just my thoughts on the whole thing! :)

I'd say a panel is more likely, as they said something along those lines at the presentation, but made no promises.

Can't see them cutting it by half! Although, I never saw them cutting it from 25k to 5k, then from 5k to 600.....

Just hurry up and finish stage 3 goddammit!!!

WilcoOut wrote: »
    Just hurry up and finish stage 3 goddammit!!!

So the irish folks are in now yea ?
    Will we all get results together next week or will it be separated results ?

Maybe someone from the irish group will let us know what they were told about receiving their results and when

So the irish folks are in now yea ?
    Will we all get results together next week or will it be separated results ?

Maybe someone from the irish group will let us know what they were told about receiving their results and when

I just asked the question in the Irish Stream thread. I will let you know if I get a response.

I just asked the question in the Irish Stream thread. I will let you know if I get a response.

I just saw that.. good thinking. Why didn't I think of that haha

Maith an fear!

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

has to be all over today? hasnt it? please!??!

Scouser wrote: »
    has to be all over today? hasnt it? please!??!

The waiting or testing ?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

The waiting or testing ?

Keeping the fingers crossed very very tightly

The testing is definitely over today. And everyone has been told to expect their results mid April. It's the same for English and Irish now.

The testing is definitely over today. And everyone has been told to expect their results mid April. It's the same for English and Irish now.

So they'll all be released at the same time. So next week maybe ?
    Thanks Archer :)

So they'll all be released at the same time. So next week maybe ?
    Thanks Archer :)

Would be nice to get some news next week

I can't see the results being out next week. I think they'll take next week to get everything right and then I'd expect the results the week after. I think the results will be out the week beginning 14th of April, probably the Monday or Tuesday of that week.

I can't see the results being out next week. I think they'll take next week to get everything right and then I'd expect the results the week after. I think the results will be out the week beginning 14th of April, probably the Monday or Tuesday of that week.

That would be my guess too!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭r_k.com

Hello,
    I have been following this thread for awhile first time commenting. Im so nervous. I was just wondering how many people would NOT be in the position to start in July. The day i did my exam alot of people said they were doing masters and still in their degree program. One guy asked if he could defer his place if he got it and they said no it wasnt an option. I wonder would alot of people be in that position?

r_k.com wrote: »
    Hello,
    I have been following this thread for awhile first time commenting. Im so nervous. I was just wondering how many people would NOT be in the position to start in July. The day i did my exam alot of people said they were doing masters and still in their degree program. One guy asked if he could defer his place if he got it and they said no it wasnt an option. I wonder would alot of people be in that position?
    There seemed to be a good few people still doing their college degrees in my group too. In fact, looking around the room, it seemed to be all people in their early 20s. If I was in that position I'd pick AGS with no hesitation. A masters is of no real benefit to you in AGS any more, so for me it would be an easy decision. The only reason you'd be thinking about completing a degree is in the event that your career in AGS did not work out. This is fair enough I think as it's impossible to know beforehand if you're cut out for a 30 year career in AGS. It's a tough decision for someone to make. My advice would be to go with your gut, and make the decision that's best for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 bort_license

It appears quite worrying if there are a huge amount of people with masters and post graduate degrees entering Templemore this year. I say this in relation to how bad things must actually be that large numbers of very highly skilled individuals will be taking on for the 200 odd positions in the coming months.

Maybe I'm wrong, but aren't these the people that will more likely leave the job if something else becomes available? I mean, nobody studies in college for 5 or 6 years in a certain field to take a job in the Police Force (unless legal studies, law etc). (And before anyone tries to get snappy, the AGS is a good job, I'm still in the run for it with ye.)
    I'm sure the Gardai and employers have taking this into account for the interview stages.

There'd be nothing more frustrating for those who have always wanted to join the Guards, to be out a place on the course because some guy scored higher on an aptitude ahead of him. Along with this, the guy with the masters then leaves the course/job later on, ultimately holding the lad who'd dream of being there his whole life. It's something I feel could be very common in years to come, which is sad really.

• Advertisement

It appears quite worrying if there are a huge amount of people with masters and post graduate degrees entering Templemore this year. I say this in relation to how bad things must actually be that large numbers of very highly skilled individuals will be taking on for the 200 odd positions in the coming months.

Maybe I'm wrong, but aren't these the people that will more likely leave the job if something else becomes available? I mean, nobody studies in college for 5 or 6 years in a certain field to take a job in the Police Force (unless legal studies, law etc). (And before anyone tries to get snappy, the AGS is a good job, I'm still in the run for it with ye.)
    I'm sure the Gardai and employers have taking this into account for the interview stages.

There'd be nothing more frustrating for those who have always wanted to join the Guards, to be out a place on the course because some guy scored higher on an aptitude ahead of him. Along with this, the guy with the masters then leaves the course/job later on, ultimately holding the lad who'd dream of being there his whole life. It's something I feel could be very common in years to come, which is sad really.
    It's like everything else at the moment, you have such a high unemployment rate in Ireland that you're getting increased competition for what jobs are available. Employers can be very selective now and demand higher education requirements or more experience etc. So, at the moment it makes sense that this recruitment campaign has attracted such high numbers and highly skilled candidates. College degrees might mean that someone might have more options to get a job outside AGS but it wouldn't mean that they would want to leave AGS at a later stage. I'm sure that PAS will pick the best qualified candidates for places in Templemore and I'm sure it will depend on an alot more than just college degrees.

Advertisement