Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Stage 3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

Archer3083 wrote: »
    It's like everything else at the moment, you have such a high unemployment rate in Ireland that you're getting increased competition for what jobs are available. Employers can be very selective now and demand higher education requirements or more experience etc. So, at the moment it makes sense that this recruitment campaign has attracted such high numbers and highly skilled candidates. College degrees might mean that someone might have more options to get a job outside AGS but it wouldn't mean that they would want to leave AGS at a later stage. I'm sure that PAS will pick the best qualified candidates for places in Templemore and I'm sure it will depend on an alot more than just college degrees.

What better way to prove your in it for the long run than volunteering for the reserve

there will be no question mark over your head then

• Registered Users Posts: 6 amlk

I went through the Irish stream and did my assesments on 27th March so I dont think they are waiting on the Irish stream Id say it was all mixed in together

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ShodenMcClane

I've been checking this board all day to see if anyone got their results even though I'm pretty sure they won't be out till next week.

Ahh! Make the wait end!!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ann.lewis

I've been checking this board all day to see if anyone got their results even though I'm pretty sure they won't be out till next week.

Ahh! Make the wait end!!

Me too. I keep popping in every so often...as I do all the time. Its been so quiet over the past few days. Everyone in the same boat..waiting..wishing.

That's the worst about being at the start for testing..longer to wait.
    Hang in there though, not long now I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

ann.lewis wrote: »
    Me too. I keep popping in every so often...as I do all the time. Its been so quiet over the past few days. Everyone in the same boat..waiting..wishing.

That's the worst about being at the start for testing..longer to wait.
    Hang in there though, not long now I suppose.

Best of Luck Miss.Lewis, you'll be top of the class I reckon

• Advertisement

billie1b wrote: »
    Best of Luck Miss.Lewis, you'll be top of the class I reckon

Thanks Mr.B ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

My own feeling is that I think I've done ok on the aptitude tests, and pretty ok in the job simulation, but I'm worried about the written report. If I was told that I failed the written report then I wouldn't be shocked. I have a bad feeling about it. I know it didn't go as well as it could have for me.

My own feeling is that I think I've done ok on the aptitude tests, and pretty ok in the job simulation, but I'm worried about the written report. If I was told that I failed the written report then I wouldn't be shocked. I have a bad feeling about it. I know it didn't go as well as it could have for me.

I may just be comforting myself here but I think a lot of pepole felt exactly like you do. I know I certainly do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Carroller

I felt i couldnt write any more information on the report as i had already written every detail i had. I feel like its the job sim and aptitude tests that is gonna let me down. Overall i felt like it went good but i dont trust myself :(

• Registered Users Posts: 30 timmy99

Everyone is desperate for results but once results come out everyone wants them last.

• Advertisement

timmy99 wrote: »
    Everyone is desperate for results but once results come out everyone wants them last.
    I get the feeling this time that as long as you pass, you're going to get an interview eventually. I just don't want to fail. If you fail you're gone! I don't have to be first through the door in Templemore in July, I'll be happy if I make the second or third batch or whatever just as long as I get in

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Malarkey101

Exact same here and everyone I've talked to has had the same feeling on the report writing it was really the only area you couldn't prepare for.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭octigen

Can I ask why you think you may have done poorly in report writing? What area did you feel unsure on? Marks were going for structure, content, accuracy of content and spelling and grammar. I was happy enough with this but Job simulation I found much more difficult than stage 1 and also alot harder than any samples I did at the career service course.

octigen wrote: »
    Can I ask why you think you may have done poorly in report writing? What area did you feel unsure on? Marks were going for structure, content, accuracy of content and spelling and grammar. I was happy enough with this but Job simulation I found much more difficult than stage 1 and also alot harder than any samples I did at the career service course.
    Well I was fine on structure, content, spelling and grammar. It was the accuracy part. And it wasn't as if I can't be accurate, I'm a stickler for detail in everything, but some of that information was delivered very quickly and that caught me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭galalala123

Well I was fine on structure, content, spelling and grammar. It was the accuracy part. And it wasn't as if I can't be accurate, I'm a stickler for detail in everything, but some of that information was delivered very quickly and that caught me out.

I think most of us felt just like that about the tests. It was hard to tell whether you did well or not. I hope to god the results are this week. Cant wait much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭timwynne

Although the report writing exercise is viewed by many as an empty challenge or indeed a childish challenge there is no getting away from the value it actually has as reports are the lifeblood of the Organisation; paper - details - accuracy

If you cannot obtain important details in an accurate manner and put it into a report than you will struggle as a Garda. You will face this challenge daily in the street, on the side of the road, over the phone, over the radio, in briefings etc etc

It is a simple exercise that gives a good indication. I wish there were more report type exercises and less logical/verbal reasoning. I would also advocate people being asked to explain their reason for picking their answers to the job sim. I would also like to see group work during one of the stages where a small team is tasked with a certain policing scenario. They would work together to plan a successful conclusion. then situational changes are thrown in to upset their thought process and put them under pressure. Defence forces do something similar and a lot of the officers can spot the soldiers from the spoofers very very quickly.

Just my thoughts

best of luck to all in the mix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

timwynne wrote: »
    Although the report writing exercise is viewed by many as an empty challenge or indeed a childish challenge there is no getting away from the value it actually has as reports are the lifeblood of the Organisation; paper - details - accuracy

If you cannot obtain important details in an accurate manner and put it into a report than you will struggle as a Garda. You will face this challenge daily in the street, on the side of the road, over the phone, over the radio, in briefings etc etc

It is a simple exercise that gives a good indication. I wish there were more report type exercises and less logical/verbal reasoning. I would also advocate people being asked to explain their reason for picking their answers to the job sim. I would also like to see group work during one of the stages where a small team is tasked with a certain policing scenario. They would work together to plan a successful conclusion. then situational changes are thrown in to upset their thought process and put them under pressure. Defence forces do something similar and a lot of the officers can spot the soldiers from the spoofers very very quickly.

Just my thoughts

best of luck to all in the mix

It's actually a very simple skill. I had to do 2 last week as part of my college course. Practise is all many need

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭timwynne

carzony wrote: »
    It's actually a very simple skill. I had to do 2 last week as part of my college course. Practise is all many need

Its certainly simple and of course practice makes perfect

certainly the two lads on the unit were well versed in what was required

Its a worthwhile exercise all in all and as I said, a good indicator of a suitable candidate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭patdshaker

80i3k

Just wondering lads, How do people manage the fitness tests who suffer from asthma? I'v been running lately but I'm starting to think I have asthma because I'm actually gasping for air after the runs..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Just wondering lads, How do people manage the fitness tests who suffer from asthma? I'v been running lately but I'm starting to think I have asthma because I'm actually gasping for air after the runs..

I can manage to get up to the 8.7 level easily enough on a treadmill (the only way I can actually measure it). However, running on a hard surface in a gym will be very much a different story I reckon.

However, I'm trying not to think about it for the moment, as I still have to get through stages 4 and 5 yet, let alone stage 3!!

EDIt: Apologies, only realised it was aimed at people who have asthma. However, I smoke 15 to 20 p/day if that helps :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

It may not be asthma. How often do you run? You can be fit in so many different ways but running fit is a different beast. You would need to run about 3/4 times a week for a decent distance i.e. 5k to build-up and maintain a good level of fitness. Once you stop running your fitness can drop quite drastically. If oxygen is a problem then I would recommend some interval type training to increase your VO2 max. Something like sprinting your hardest for 30 seconds then jog the next 30 seconds etc. repeat that for about 8-10mins once a week in conjunction with the other runs mentioned above and not only will your times drop but your capacity to consume oxygen will increase. I only run outdoors but if running on a treadmill a lot of people recommend inclining it at about 2% to more accurately reflect outdoor conditions.

redout wrote: »
    It may not be asthma. How often do you run? You can be fit in so many different ways but running fit is a different beast. You would need to run about 3/4 times a week for a decent distance i.e. 5k to build-up and maintain a good level of fitness. Once you stop running your fitness can drop quite drastically. If oxygen is a problem then I would recommend some interval type training to increase your VO2 max. Something like sprinting your hardest for 30 seconds then jog the next 30 seconds etc. repeat that for about 8-10mins once a week in conjunction with the other runs mentioned above and not only will your times drop but your capacity to consume oxygen will increase. I only run outdoors but if running on a treadmill a lot of people recommend inclining it at about 2% to more accurately reflect outdoor conditions.

It could well be unfitness mate. I hate sport with a passion lol.. The reason I reckon it's ashtma is because of the difficulty I was having trying to breath.. Today, I had a very short run 10 mins and actually thought I was gonna pass out the breathing was so heavy.

But as you said, I wouldnt run anywhere near the 3/4 times a week mark....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

Rothmans wrote: »
    I can manage to get up to the 8.7 level easily enough on a treadmill (the only way I can actually measure it). However, running on a hard surface in a gym will be very much a different story I reckon.

However, I'm trying not to think about it for the moment, as I still have to get through stages 4 and 5 yet, let alone stage 3!!

EDIt: Apologies, only realised it was aimed at people who have asthma. However, I smoke 15 to 20 p/day if that helps :P

Rothmans???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Peppa Cig wrote: »
    Rothmans???

;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

It could well be unfitness mate. I hate sport with a passion lol.. The reason I reckon it's ashtma is because of the difficulty I was having trying to breath.. Today, I had a very short run 10 mins and actually thought I was gonna pass out the breathing was so heavy.

You might be just running at too fast a pace. Take it steady and last the distance. If you start off at a fast pace you are gonna be feeling it after a short while i.e. stitch or breathing etc. and be knackered come the end of the run. If you keep at it then within a short time you will no longer be breathing that heavy. Make sure you are hydrated also - very important for running. Download something like the Nike+ running app. It is free and will accurately measure your pace, time, distance etc. and keep a record for you so that you can

Definitely try incorporate some interval training like I mentioned because not only will it increase your oxygen consumption it will improve your times. If you just keep running the same distance all the time then eventually you will just plateau and your time will no longer improve unless you increase that VO2 max. Anyways this is probably getting to in depth. I don't think the Garda fitness test will be that bad. I was talking to a Garda a few weeks back and he told me 2 weeks jogging up the park and you would have no bother with the fitness test!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭fergie199

Do not worry about the fitness test at all! its a long way of to be honest and its not a difficult tests, its indoors and is totally a doable, you wont have a problem there, if u can get out for a 20min run twice I week im 100% you will do great!

On a different subject guys and girls, I have a little question about the medical which again is a long way of lol but its regarding the BMI (body mass index) for those who are unsure what a bmi is its simply a chart, you give your age, you get ur height taken and then your weight. Judging by average your bmi will be indicated, for most anything over 30 I believe is classed as obese but in allot of cases this is not so, the BMI test does not measure muscle, you could be a total fitness freak and be massive like Arnold swarchenigger but would fail the bmi and ur too heave for ur age and hight lol

To get to the point I recall at the presentation during stage 3 I heard the head of PAS mention something about BMI but there were to many ppl talking and getting up to leave I missed what she said. Since iv been 21 and get a fitness test every year which I pass no problem iv never passed the BMI but the testers always ignored the bmi as they know I pass the fitness tests and they all agree that the BMI this is out of date and inaccurate as it has so many flaws.

To finally sum it all up lol does anyone know about the BMI with the garda medical, is it a requirement to be under the boarderline mark or what?

trust me I am not a fat lazy slob worring about this and im not trying to put the cart before the horses lol its just I can drop muscle to lower the bmi if I need too but do I need to worry?

an please no fat jokes

fergie199 wrote: »
    Do not worry about the fitness test at all! its a long way of to be honest and its not a difficult tests, its indoors and is totally a doable, you wont have a problem there, if u can get out for a 20min run twice I week im 100% you will do great!

On a different subject guys and girls, I have a little question about the medical which again is a long way of lol but its regarding the BMI (body mass index) for those who are unsure what a bmi is its simply a chart, you give your age, you get ur height taken and then your weight. Judging by average your bmi will be indicated, for most anything over 30 I believe is classed as obese but in allot of cases this is not so, the BMI test does not measure muscle, you could be a total fitness freak and be massive like Arnold swarchenigger but would fail the bmi and ur too heave for ur age and hight lol

To get to the point I recall at the presentation during stage 3 I heard the head of PAS mention something about BMI but there were to many ppl talking and getting up to leave I missed what she said. Since iv been 21 and get a fitness test every year which I pass no problem iv never passed the BMI but the testers always ignored the bmi as they know I pass the fitness tests and they all agree that the BMI this is out of date and inaccurate as it has so many flaws.

To finally sum it all up lol does anyone know about the BMI with the garda medical, is it a requirement to be under the boarderline mark or what?

trust me I am not a fat lazy slob worring about this and im not trying to put the cart before the horses lol its just I can drop muscle to lower the bmi if I need too but do I need to worry?

an please no fat jokes

You'll be fine. If its called into question theyll do a bodyfat test because as you said the bmi is outdated. As long as you're not majorly overweight im sure you'll be fine

You'll be fine. If its called into question theyll do a bodyfat test because as you said the bmi is outdated. As long as you're not majorly overweight im sure you'll be fine

I'm not sure that's correct. It was categorically stated as a hard and fast rule with no exceptions that your bmi had to be under 30.

Weather or not that should be the case is a different matter but it was explicitly stated that that was an unbendable rule.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure that's correct. It was categorically stated as a hard and fast rule with no exceptions that your bmi had to be under 30.

Weather or not that should be the case is a different matter but it was explicitly stated that that was an unbendable rule.

Well they used to do that before but no one can guarantee what theyll do this time seeing as everything so far has been unpredictable. How any doctor could fail someone with very low bodyfat and just above their bmi would be ridiculous though!

Well they used to do that before but no one can guarantee what theyll do this time seeing as everything so far has been unpredictable. How any doctor could fail someone with very low bodyfat and just above their bmi would be ridiculous though!

I can't speak for what happened before and I do agree that it's not a usable scale for muscular people however; they did point that rule out (along with one other that I can't recall) as being hard and fast and an instant fail. They spoke about it for a while at our orientation because a guy kept asking questions about it.

I can't speak for what happened before and I do agree that it's not a usable scale for muscular people however; they did point that rule out (along with one other that I can't recall) as being hard and fast and an instant fail. They spoke about it for a while at our orientation because a guy kept asking questions about it.

Thats fair enough luckily im ok in that sense but i know others arent!! Dental caries was the other thing i think whatever that is

Is BMI and dental caries the only instant failures for the medical. In the information that we got early days there was a long list of conditions listed that might make a person fail the medical. Is asthma for instance a definite fail or does it go on a person by person basis?

Is BMI and dental caries the only instant failures for the medical. In the information that we got early days there was a long list of conditions listed that might make a person fail the medical. Is asthma for instance a definite fail or does it go on a person by person basis?

ashtma shouldnt be a thing that could make you fail automatically?... Unless the condition is so bad that your attached to a machine to help you breath a few times a day or somthing like that......

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Mistabutts

25/03 at 12:45........yup that was me asking haha

• Advertisement

Mistabutts wrote: »
    25/03 at 12:45........yup that was me asking haha

Different day I'm afraid. Do you have a twin perhaps. Ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭northside girl

fergie199 wrote: »

an please no fat jokes

As other posters have said you will need to have your BMI under 30 to pass. It's years since I did my medical but I think they used a scale that can calculate your body fat percentage and perhaps they might take that into account as well. When you go to Templemore you are weighed at the end and beginning of each phase, at least we were, and they had a machine that calculated BMI and body fat % down there also. I don't ever remember them using calipers at medical stage in the depot. Strictly speaking anything above 30 is an automatic fail and unfortunately you can't get a second go of the medical like you can if you fail the eyesight test but you would hope that they'd take muscle mass and body fat % into account. Best of luck anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

http://www.bmicalculator.ie/

For anyone that wants to check

KERSPLAT! wrote: »

6'2 16 stone and my BMI is 29?? Wow that's cutting it fine.

Not a chance is that correct. iv tried a few BMI online calulators before, that one says im 30! Other BMI calculators have said im 12.5 and one i done at the start of my GAA season said im 18. They all seem to differ.

• Advertisement

Carroller wrote: »
    Not a chance is that correct. iv tried a few BMI online calulators before, that one says im 30! Other BMI calculators have said im 12.5 and one i done at the start of my GAA season said im 18. They all seem to differ.

Well there are charts available too. 12.5 or even 18 would be seriously underweight. if they use the same chart as the Army, which they almost certainly do, this one is correct.
    My BMI is 29 I'm 6'2 and 16 stone on the button.
    When I went for the army I was 17 and a half stone, failed the BMI (the cut off was also 30) and was taken to a room for a calipers test.

I'm sorry to tell you there was something seriously wrong with that calculation. There is no way you could play contact sport at a BMI of 12.5. Keep in mind that 20 is the lower side of normal.

Mistabutts wrote: »
    Well there are charts available too. 12.5 or even 18 would be seriously underweight. if they use the same chart as the Army, which they almost certainly do, this one is correct.
    My BMI is 29 I'm 6'2 and 16 stone on the button.
    When I went for the army I was 17 and a half stone, failed the BMI (the cut off was also 30) and was taken to a room for a calipers test.
    My BMI is 29 as well. I think the BMI calculators are skewed against the broadly built guys and gals. 29 is still a pass so that's all that matters!

My BMI is 29 as well. I think the BMI calculators are skewed against the broadly built guys and gals. 29 is still a pass so that's all that matters!

Fact!

Humm.. I came in at 25.

ann.lewis wrote: »
    Humm.. I came in at 25.

You're laughing so, in that regard.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

"broadly built guys and gals" = fatties:)

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    "broadly built guys and gals" = fatties:)

I'd let bodyfat % decide whether I'm a fatty or not, There's a lot of people in the correct BMI range that have f-all muscle mass and haven't a hope of passing the fitness too like. It is possible to have a broad frame.
    you could insult someone. Someone BIG.

I'm sorry to tell you there was something seriously wrong with that calculation. There is no way you could play contact sport at a BMI of 12.5. Keep in mind that 20 is the lower side of normal.

Yeah i know i dont believe either to be right id imagine id be around 22-25. Wouldnt be skinny and wouldnt be anywhere near over weight and training 3 times a week in the second highest division in dublin i wouldnt consider myself over 30 BMI thats why i think it is wrong.

Yeah i know i dont believe either to be right id imagine id be around 22-25. Wouldnt be skinny and wouldnt be anywhere near over weight and training 3 times a week in the second highest division in dublin i wouldnt consider myself over 30 BMI thats why i think it is wrong.
    It doesn't matter whether you think the BMI calculator is right or wrong. Maybe ring up PAS and find out which chart/calculator they're using during the medicals, and use the next couple of weeks to get you BMI right. At least get it right for the day of the medical. No point failing over something as silly as BMI.

• Advertisement
Advertisement