Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Stage 3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

Chem Lord wrote: »
    I doubt the 600 will JUST be going for the first 100 jobs. Alan Shatter said himself that there would be a panel formed in order of merit. In my opinion, a good amount of the 600 could be placed on that panel (200-300). However, I do think that Stage 2 band 2 WILL be called to stage 3 sometime in the near future.

thats 6 people for 1 job

highly likely they will get 100 candidates from that 600

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Chem Lord

Scouser wrote: »
    thats 6 people for 1 job

highly likely they will get 100 candidates from that 600

I don't think you read my reply correctly :D

Chem Lord wrote: »
    I don't think you read my reply correctly :D

i did!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

600 - 5 More stages

- 100 per stage on avg.

100 new recruits for July !

Simples !

3fullback wrote: »
    600 - 5 More stages

- 100 per stage on avg.

Simples !

cant be

all 600 could be superfit and pass the pct and medical alone

so your theory holds no water!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Max_ Power

600 - 5 More stages

- 100 per stage on avg.

Simples !

5 more stages??

Max_ Power wrote: »
    5 more stages??

Assessment Centre
    Interview
    Medical
    Physical
    Background Checks

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Sineadsoc

thestar wrote: »
    They could get called but it will be a 2 years at least?
    Oh really that long??? Like there's no chance of this year :(

Scouser wrote: »
    cant be

all 600 could be superfit and pass the pct and medical alone

so your theory holds no water!!

In my opinion the top 600 will not be the fittest of the entire 25,00 that applied.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Sineadsoc

They could get called but it will be a 2 years at least?
    Oh really that long??? Like there's no chance of this year :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Zadie10

Carroller wrote: »
    I find it very hard to accept that if you fail stage 3 even by one point your out altogether and may aswell be in band 2 or 3 of stage 1

Oh yeah its a ridiculous system, they've basically cut out some of the people from the top 5k (at stage 1) yet someone who placed far behind them is still technically in the running! Madness but then again, this is Ireland!

600 - 5 More stages

- 100 per stage on avg.

Simples !

This is all estimates, HR recruitment professionals work on a recognised average of 4 interviewees to a position.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Max_ Power

In my opinion the top 600 will not be the fittest of the entire 25,00 that applied.
    wonder what the standard is for the physical?

google it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭van_beano

Is it not an obstacle course, completed 3 times within a set time limit. Basically sprinting short distance, balance beam, running up stairs and jumping a gate. Followed by the push / pull machine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 jj2011

Dead on. It's a basic enough obstacle course.

Train to be a garda! - YouTube
    m.youtube.com/watch?v=7yQEJaJYf8A

• Registered Users Posts: 46 bort_license

Correct me if i'm wrong but if you get through to the next stage, as in the top 600 of todays results, you'll be accepted in Garda college this summer or winter?

Like 600 through, with only fitness (which I know of people of medicore fitness pass) and a medical (which isn't overly strict).

I'd of taught the interview would be by far the toughest step! Seems they haven't left themselves the choice to be picky in regards to the interview!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Hareton

van_beano wrote: »
    Is it not an obstacle course, completed 3 times within a set time limit. Basically sprinting short distance, balance beam, running up stairs and jumping a gate. Followed by the push / pull machine.

And push ups. Sit ups. And a beep test

Correct me if i'm wrong but if you get through to the next stage, as in the top 600 of todays results, you'll be accepted in Garda college this summer or winter?

Like 600 through, with only fitness (which I know of people of medicore fitness pass) and a medical (which isn't overly strict).

I'd of taught the interview would be by far the toughest step! Seems they haven't left themselves the choice to be picky in regards to the interview!

interview is after stage 3

then fitness test

then medical

Hareton wrote: »
    And push ups. Sit ups. And a beep test

They've obviously changed the process so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Hareton

van_beano wrote: »
    They've obviously changed the process so.

Indeed. Here's the breakdown. Taken from the fitness thread.

The Physical Assessment is comprised of a Physical Competency Test (PCT) and a Physical Fitness Test. All
    elements of the Physical Assessment must be passed at the pre-entry level.

The PCT is a test of job-related physical fitness. It consists of an obstacle course followed by a push and pull test.
    Students must pass the PCT at pre-entry to be admitted to Phase 1 of training.

The Obstacle Course
    Students are required to complete 3 laps within 3 minutes 20 seconds. The course involves sprinting, sharp
    changes in direction, running under barriers, over gates, up and down stairs, over a jump, carrying a weight a
    prescribed distance by pulling a mannequin along the ground. Gardaí are often required to perform one or more
    of the above in their day-to-day duties.

The Push and Pull
    The push and pull test is carried out on an isokinetic machine and is designed to mimic an adult wrestling
    (pushing and pulling) at the lapel height of a 5 foot 7 inch male. In order to pass this test one must produce an
    average force of 25 kg over a 20 second period. However if one scores 3 minutes on the obstacle course a force
    of 22.5 kg is considered a pass on the push and pull test.

Physical Fitness Test (20m Shuttle Test and Muscular Endurance Test)
    20M shuttle test /The Bleep Test
    This multistage fitness test, also known as the 20 meter shuttle test (Loughborough 2O MST) is now a very
    common test of aerobic fitness. The test involves continuous running between two lines, 20 meters apart in time
    to recorded beeps. This time beeps decreases every minute. The initial running velocity is 8.5 km/hr, which
    increases one km/hr every minute. The athletes score is the level and the numbers of shuttles recorded before
    they are unable to keep up with the tape recording. This can be converted to a VO2 max score. Males should
    achieve 8 shuttles at level 8 (corresponding to a VO2 max of 42.4 ml/kg/min) and females should achieve 6
    shuttles at level 7 (corresponding to a VO2 max score of 38.5 mI/kg/mm).

Minimum Standards for the Shuttle Test

Age Males Females
    18-25yrs Level 8.7 Level 7.5
    26-35yrs Level 8.1 Level 6.6

Muscular Endurance Test
    Sit up and Press Ups
    Both tests measure muscular endurance i.e. the ability to perform many repetitions of the same exercise. They are
    widely used as measures of muscular endurance. The press-up measures mostly upper body muscular strength as
    well as the strength of the core of the body. The sit-up measures muscular endurance in the abdominal muscles.
    Males must perform 35 sit-ups in a minute and must perform 25 press-ups (no time limit). Females must
    perform 30 sit-ups in a minute and must perform 20 press-ups (no time limit).

Fitness Assessment Minimum Standards

Minimum Standards for the ‘Sit Up’ Test (one minute)

Age Males Females
    18-25yrs 35 30
    26-35yrs 32 27

Minimum Standards for the Press Up Test (no time restriction)

Hareton wrote: »
    Indeed. Here's the breakdown. Taken from the fitness thread.

The Physical Assessment is comprised of a Physical Competency Test (PCT) and a Physical Fitness Test. All
    elements of the Physical Assessment must be passed at the pre-entry level.

The PCT is a test of job-related physical fitness. It consists of an obstacle course followed by a push and pull test.
    Students must pass the PCT at pre-entry to be admitted to Phase 1 of training.

The Obstacle Course
    Students are required to complete 3 laps within 3 minutes 20 seconds. The course involves sprinting, sharp
    changes in direction, running under barriers, over gates, up and down stairs, over a jump, carrying a weight a
    prescribed distance by pulling a mannequin along the ground. Gardaí are often required to perform one or more
    of the above in their day-to-day duties.

The Push and Pull
    The push and pull test is carried out on an isokinetic machine and is designed to mimic an adult wrestling
    (pushing and pulling) at the lapel height of a 5 foot 7 inch male. In order to pass this test one must produce an
    average force of 25 kg over a 20 second period. However if one scores 3 minutes on the obstacle course a force
    of 22.5 kg is considered a pass on the push and pull test.

Physical Fitness Test (20m Shuttle Test and Muscular Endurance Test)
    20M shuttle test /The Bleep Test
    This multistage fitness test, also known as the 20 meter shuttle test (Loughborough 2O MST) is now a very
    common test of aerobic fitness. The test involves continuous running between two lines, 20 meters apart in time
    to recorded beeps. This time beeps decreases every minute. The initial running velocity is 8.5 km/hr, which
    increases one km/hr every minute. The athletes score is the level and the numbers of shuttles recorded before
    they are unable to keep up with the tape recording. This can be converted to a VO2 max score. Males should
    achieve 8 shuttles at level 8 (corresponding to a VO2 max of 42.4 ml/kg/min) and females should achieve 6
    shuttles at level 7 (corresponding to a VO2 max score of 38.5 mI/kg/mm).

Minimum Standards for the Shuttle Test

Age Males Females
    18-25yrs Level 8.7 Level 7.5
    26-35yrs Level 8.1 Level 6.6

Muscular Endurance Test
    Sit up and Press Ups
    Both tests measure muscular endurance i.e. the ability to perform many repetitions of the same exercise. They are
    widely used as measures of muscular endurance. The press-up measures mostly upper body muscular strength as
    well as the strength of the core of the body. The sit-up measures muscular endurance in the abdominal muscles.
    Males must perform 35 sit-ups in a minute and must perform 25 press-ups (no time limit). Females must
    perform 30 sit-ups in a minute and must perform 20 press-ups (no time limit).

Fitness Assessment Minimum Standards

Minimum Standards for the ‘Sit Up’ Test (one minute)

Age Males Females
    18-25yrs 35 30
    26-35yrs 32 27

Minimum Standards for the Press Up Test (no time restriction)

I learn something new every day :pac: Thanks Hareton

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Swoop23

Anyone know how many will be taken in in the first wave of trainees? I think I read 100 by July plus another 150 to 200 by the end of the year. All in all the 600 who got through have a 50/50 shot at a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Thecameraman

Sineadsoc wrote: »
    Hi know someone that got ranked 2,449 in stage 3 today just wondering if any of ye know where they stand????

Stage 2 and they stand in limbo at the min but postive thing there still in..... 2000 people joined the 15000 in stage 2 who failed.

Sineadsoc wrote: »
    Hi know someone that got ranked 2,449 in stage 3 today just wondering if any of ye know where they stand????

Stage 2 and they stand in limbo at the min but postive thing there still in..... 2000 people joined the 15000 in stage 2 who failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Flynners89

Realistically does any body think those outside the 600 would get called to stage 3 within the next month or so?? I'm 840

Flynners89 wrote: »
    Realistically does any body think those outside the 600 would get called to stage 3 within the next month or so?? I'm 840

Yes you will im sure most of top 600 Are unsuitable, just smart but no basic people skill, community involvement, or street smarts. Sit tight they will fly through this 600 they will prob end up using band 3 from stage 1

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Kimiko2012

Id say we will have to wait til result of stage 3 I read here earlier that there is only a pass/fail for stage 3, no bands which is a positive for the rest of us. But on the other hand they may all pass and are deemed the right candidates for the job.

Probably not for the summer uptake as I assume they will make up the 150 from the 600 that got through. You are in with a good chance of getting called up for the second intake of students as some people are bound to fail the interview and fitness stages.

This competition has seen the most overqualified number of applicants yet. A lot of college graduates have applied. Not that they are better suited to the job, just that they are more likely to succeed at the aptitude test level.

For those outside of the top 600 group should also remember the gender of those that have made it to the assessment center.

By this recruitment drive it appears that they're looking to have 1 in every 3 in the force to be women. http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/onethird-of-gardai-will-be-women-by-next-year-29179105.html

If too little (or too many) women qualify to stage 3, they might re-assess and dip into the 601<

• Advertisement

Yes you will im sure most of top 600 Are unsuitable, just smart but no basic people skill, community involvement, or street smarts. Sit tight they will fly through this 600 they will prob end up using band 3 from stage 1

I very highly doubt they will use band 3 from stage one. You are assuming the will not find 300 suitable candidates out of the 3100 that passed stage two not to mention the 5000 from band 2 of stage 1.

Realistically if you are not in the top 2000 that passed stage two forget about it. Anyone between 1000 and 2000 has a shot at being called back but probably not for a year or two. Anyone between 600 and 1000 should be optimistic of getting in by the end of the year.

For those outside of the top 600 group should also remember the gender of those that have made it to the assessment center.

By this recruitment drive it appears that they're looking to have 1 in every 3 in the force to be women. http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/onethird-of-gardai-will-be-women-by-next-year-29179105.html

If too little (or too many) women qualify to stage 3, they might re-assess and dip into the 601<

I think you misread that article. It does not indicate that they are trying to maintain a 1 in 3 ratio, rather that the ratio of women is increasing too much due to males opting for early retirement before pay cuts are implemented.

They will probably look for more men to cover the pregnant gardai assigned to desk jobs

Swoop23 wrote: »
    I think you misread that article. It does not indicate that they are trying to maintain a 1 in 3 ratio, rather that the ratio of women is increasing too much due to males opting for early retirement before pay cuts are implemented.

They will probably look for more men to cover the pregnant gardai assigned to desk jobs

Maybe your right! But what I'm trying to get at is those who have been left in limbo for the next stage must remember that depending on the gender ratio, there may be people taking from the 601<

In fact, your probably right. The ratio of female Gardai in the last decade has been increased dramatically. Not only in the office, but on the beat, I tend to see more females than males.

Maybe your right! But what I'm trying to get at is those who have been left in limbo for the next stage must remember that depending on the gender ratio, there may be people taking from the 601<

In fact, your probably right. The ratio of female Gardai in the last decade has been increased dramatically. Not only in the office, but on the beat, I tend to see more females than males.

I agree. I mentioned earlier that anyone between 600 and 1000 in in with a good shot of being called in

Sure jaysus we may all be called if the 600 is full of a loada' wimin

:P

• Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

Look at the number of females at sgt , inspector , supt and chief supt rank. The next commissioner will be a female. How do your comments stand up ????

Raider190 wrote: »
    Look at the number of females at sgt , inspector , supt and chief supt rank. The next commissioner will be a female. How do your comments stand up ????

From personal experience, I've seen more female Gardai on the beat in recent years as opposed to males. I've come across many female sergeants.

In relation to the next commissioner being a female, I'm not entirely sure.

From personal experience, I've seen more female Gardai on the beat in recent years as opposed to males. I've come across many female sergeants.

In relation to the next commissioner being a female, I'm not entirely sure.

Check under Deputy Commissioner O?Sullivan . Does she look like a fella don't think so........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭SonnyB

Wasnt execting results today at all at all !!!.

Stage 3 be kind to me !

Back to the grindstone for the next week or so :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭thestar

Check under Deputy Commissioner O?Sullivan . Does she look like a fella don't think so........

Is it normally a natural progression from deputy to commissioner? Think I know her, short dark hair?

Is it normally a natural progression from deputy to commissioner? Think I know her, short dark hair?

Daw of course it is who else is there ???)

i'll take that as a yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

Deputy Commissioner O'Sullivan is due to retire soon enough from what I hear so sadly it'll be another few years yet before we see a banner commish.

And I expect to see plenty more in the higher ranks in the future as, like I originally said, I've come across more female Gardai than male in last few years. Both in office and on the beat.

Deputy Commissioner O'Sullivan is due to retire soon enough from what I hear so sadly it'll be another few years yet before we see a banner commish.

Davy Fitz maybe?

• Advertisement

No she isn't . Present commissioner goes in April 2015 after his extension ends. That's 1 year away . DC o Sullivan has a long time to go before retirement

Davy Fitz maybe?

Don't think so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

No she isn't . Present commissioner goes in April 2015 after his extension ends. That's 1 year away . DC o Sullivan has a long time to go before retirement

She has her 30 years in and can go whenever she likes, and from what I heard she's not looking for the top job.

At the end of the day it's a political appointment. Shatter will ensure whoever he's got the strongest puppet strings on will get the position. It need not even be a member of the force.

It's a political appointment so not a natural progression from deputy to commissioner, is there a chance that your wrong on this one Raider? Callinanin is out of his depth there anyway

Callinan even

• Advertisement
Advertisement