Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Stage 3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Hupp15

Hi all.

Just wondering can anyone tell me do we need to bring anything to the stage 3 asssssment centre apart from our confirmation sheet with the time of assessment on it? I can't seem to open the link on my PC at present. I thought I saw somewhere here about people checking about birth Certs and leaving cert results but I presume these are not required at this stage.

Thanks for any help
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Hupp15

Hi all.

Just wondering can anyone tell me do we need to bring anything to the stage 3 asssssment centre apart from our confirmation sheet with the time of assessment on it? I can't seem to open the link on my PC at present. I thought I saw somewhere here about people checking about birth Certs and leaving cert results but I presume these are not required at this stage.

Thanks for any help

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭JoeyJoe93

Hupp15 wrote: »
    Hi all.

Thanks for any help

You know what they say about assumptions.
    Read the familiarisation material when you can, it is important.

You need to bring
    Coloured version of your leaving cert results (if you don't have one you can buy one online, link in familiarisation material) and a photocopy of it.
    Long form birth cert and photocopy
    ID, valid passport/drivers licence and photocopy of same.
    Passport photo
    And a print out of your invitation to stage 3.
    Wouldn't hurt to bring a few pens too.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 FawltyTowel

I don't have a leaving cert...

I did gcses in England, but the school I went to no longer has them. Not even on file or anything

Also about the report is it malling notes while a video is playing? Or do you need to memorise the video then make notes?

I don't have a leaving cert...

I did gcses in England, but the school I went to no longer has them. Not even on file or anything

Also about the report is it malling notes while a video is playing? Or do you need to memorise the video then make notes?

You do need documentation verifying the equivalent exams you took, wouldn't the English equivalent of the State Examination Commission have it on file? Because my Irish school wouldn't have had my leaving cert record still either I reckon but I can get them online from state exams.
    You also need a pass grade in irish. So I think you have to sit some separate test as gealige to show competency. I think.

That sounds like a couple extra hurdles for ya unfortunately.

We can't talk about the tests either so can't help you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

You dont need irish. You can have english and any other language, german/french for example

• Registered Users Posts: 37 FawltyTowel

thekopend wrote: »
    You dont need irish. You can have english and any other language, german/french for example

I did German in my gcses hopefully that counts. Gonna have to find the exam board then to get my certificates

I think if you did foundation irish you must sit some separate test no?
    If so that doesn't make much sense. If you did irish (foundation) you must do a test, but if you didn't do irish at all you don't need to do a test.
    Is that right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

JoeyJoe93 wrote: »
    I think if you did foundation irish you must sit some separate test no?
    If so that doesn't make much sense. If you did irish (foundation) you must do a test, but if you didn't do irish at all you don't need to do a test.
    Is that right?

No, you only need to do the Irish test if like me you don't have any other language to use. I have foundation Irish which is N/A to the campaign so they will test my Irish with there own test.

TallGlass wrote: »
    No, you only need to do the Irish test if like me you don't have any other language to use. I have foundation Irish which is N/A to the campaign so they will test my Irish with there own test.

Ah I see. Thanks!

• Advertisement

Ya irish isnt a requirement anymore. As said they only brought in the irish competency test as a choice for those who only have 1 language or did foundation irish which is not accepted anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Wannabegarda

The waiting is actually driving me insane....not joking I will probably end up in a mental institution if I don't get through....which I probably haven't....

• Registered Users Posts: 42 AVPU

Going to be a long week waiting on results.....

• Registered Users Posts: 37 aislingann

The waiting is actually driving me insane....not joking I will probably end up in a mental institution if I don't get through....which I probably haven't....

But what if u have???? Stay positive ! You'll do fine! Were you a reserve before too??

Everybody done???

aislingann wrote: »
    But what if u have???? Stay positive ! You'll do fine! Were you a reserve before too??

Thats true kid but im still screwed!!

Anybody gone for the psni by any chance???

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Dublingarda

I reckon the results for both groups 1-500 and up will be sent out together..... so it will be the end of October before we hear anything.

I reckon the results of both tests will be sent out together..... so I'd say it will be the end of October / first week of November before we hear anything.

Few months ago other groups did stage 3 a few weeks apart and they got their results a few weeks apart aswell. I would be expecting our results as we were told around mid october when the second group will only be doing theirs

• Advertisement

Has anyone prepped with Career Services and if so how did you find it

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭VicMack

I wouldn't be surprised if we have them by the end of this week. Hopefully anyway!

VicMack wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if we have them by the end of this week. Hopefully anyway!

Ah jaysus dont start that. Shur we might have them tommorro!
    End of next week at earliest id say.

I'd say anywhere between 15th and 20th.
    Already prematurely nervous about stage 4. I'd say not playing any sports since school will be a bit of a hindrance to me if I'm lucky enough to get there.

If I make it to the medical I am ****ed on the BMI. Over weight according to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Collielover

If I make it to the medical I am ****ed on the BMI. Over weight according to it!

They'll take muscle weight into consideration, if it isn't muscle weight then a bit of running cycling and better eating will need to be done! But worry about stage 5 after the interview, they normally give you a deferral on BMI issues giving you a certain amount of weeks to sort it out.

• Advertisement

I'm always over the BMI. I've a large frame for my height. I have started training again though, get rid of the beer gut, and build the muscle back up. Kinda ****ting the results, I feel I did rather Shiiiiiite!

Ah jaysus dont start that. Shur we might have them tommorro!
    End of next week at earliest id say.

It's too hard top pinpoint it, but if they can get 7000 out in 8 days (stage 2) then they can get 500 out in a similar amount of time factoring in they have to correct the reports manually.

Anyway it's merely speculation from me, let's just hope when the results are released, we pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Kerrygirl90

I was in Tasmania when I rang Dublin to schedule my exam...Was on hold for 1 hour and 20 mins, just got my bill $65.00 Facccccck!! :(

Well thAt sucks...

Anybody contact Public jobs to find out the date of us getting the results?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭danbag1989

AVPU wrote: »
    I'm always over the BMI. I've a large frame for my height. I have started training again though, get rid of the beer gut, and build the muscle back up. Kinda ****ting the results, I feel I did rather Shiiiiiite!

Same, I quit the smokes and started training and eating right. 5 days into it and I can see a noticeable difference. If I had to do the fitness tomorrow I wouldn't do well but in a month or two I reckon Ill be OK. As other people said though, take it one stage at a time.

Yeah one stage at a time. I ideally would like to get past this stage just so I know I can get this far anything after here is really down to yourself as in how you look after yourself, interpersonal skills, qualifications etc...

I don't think I done to well at the test stage but I suppose no harm in showing an interest in the next stage should I get that far!

Yeah one stage at a time. I ideally would like to get past this stage just so I know I can get this far anything after here is really down to yourself as in how you look after yourself, interpersonal skills, qualifications etc...

I don't think I done to well at the test stage but I suppose no harm in showing an interest in the next stage should I get that far!

I know what you mean, I have my Stage 3 on the 19th, and part of me is thinking "If I mess up stage three, then all this getting healthy and jogging etc will be for nothing cos I wont even get to stage 4" but then again, if I didnt try get fitter and if I did do well, and through Stage 3 AND Stage 4 and I didnt train I would be properly screwed for the fitness then.
    Just gotta grin and bear it I think for the foreseeable !

danbag1989 wrote: »
    I know what you mean, I have my Stage 3 on the 19th, and part of me is thinking "If I mess up stage three, then all this getting healthy and jogging etc will be for nothing cos I wont even get to stage 4" but then again, if I didnt try get fitter and if I did do well, and through Stage 3 AND Stage 4 and I didnt train I would be properly screwed for the fitness then.
    Just gotta grin and bear it I think for the foreseeable !

One piece of advise to all. The wheels of AGS turn very very slowly!

One piece of advise to all. The wheels of AGS turn very very slowly!
    Ain't that the truth! I wonder how people feel about getting posted to random stations around the country once they get in and come out of Templemore. Prob not the thread for it here anyway!
    I think the interview is going to be hardest stage for me.

Ain't that the truth! I wonder how people feel about getting posted to random stations around the country once they get in and come out of Templemore. Prob not the thread for it here anyway!
    I think the interview is going to be hardest stage for me.

I'd say most of us would get posted in places like Dublin or maybe limerick. Get thrown in the deep end. Probably is the best, it'll take some getting used to being away from all your family and friends dealing with the most difficult areas to police. Sink or swim stuff like.

I'm same as you on the interview. Do you play any GAA or are you involved in any communities or anything?

I'd say most of us would get posted in places like Dublin or maybe limerick. Get thrown in the deep end. Probably is the best, it'll take some getting used to being away from all your family and friends dealing with the most difficult areas to police. Sink or swim stuff like.

I'm same as you on the interview. Do you play any GAA or are you involved in any communities or anything?
    Id actually like somewhere in Dublin/Kildare.
    I dont do any GAA, but part of a martial arts club and used to be a pretty solid basketball player. You?
    Im just not going to think too much about the interview until I know if I passed 3 or not!

Id actually like somewhere in Dublin/Kildare.
    I dont do any GAA, but part of a martial arts club and used to be a pretty solid basketball player. You?
    Im just not going to think too much about the interview until I know if I passed 3 or not!

I'd say you've a good chance of not being too disappointed then.
    Martial arts will give you a load to talk about.
    Barely anything, haven't played soccer since I was a teenager. So I'm worried about that because I know that that's what most people talk about. How else could you talk about leadership qualities and things like that.
    You're right not to think about it but I can't help worrying.

Anyone hear anything?

Anyone hear anything?

Put it this way, you wouldnt have to ask if they did!

• Advertisement

The wait continues...

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭slapper2

I can see the nerves are getting the best of some of ye lol

slapper2 wrote: »
    I can see the nerves are getting the best of some of ye lol

Haha a little nervous but more anxious than anything else, would love to get past stage 3 and get an interview :)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Padge1987

Hopefully we might be lucky today and hear :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 iane87

ye'r putting too much on the line for this!
    the odds of getting through are slim so there'll be a lot of disappointed heads when the results get back!
    don't be getting yourselves so excited about it.
    for your own good!

iane87 wrote: »
    ye'r putting too much on the line for this!
    the odds of getting through are slim so there'll be a lot of disappointed heads when the results get back!
    don't be getting yourselves so excited about it.
    for your own good!

Not putting too much on the line, still working full time and have a career, if I pass stage 3, that would be great, but if I don't then I'll continue with what I'm doing and apply next time.

I have pressure. I have a job that I want to get out of I can't see myself doing anything else. I don't want to stay where I am so this is really my only option at the moment.

No GAA, but involved with a few things which will go my way, and most of my qualifications involve a very high standard of concentration, skill level and discipline/level headedness.

Could talk about them all day if asked. Hopefully it will all go well, should I have done enough to pass Stage 3.

Gave up the smokes since coming home from abroad working, and working back on getting fit. G'luck to everyone!

Now lads....its fairly obvious to state that we all..including most likely myself will not get through. I reckon that because they are planning intakes for janurary and march with the two different groups, the next general campaign i reckon will begin around april or may, whenever the recruits have been selected. This is only speculation though its still likely that it could be announced october 2016, to start in janurary 2017. I dont know though....do you think they will continue using the Bands malarky or will something else be done to divide us up??

• Advertisement

Grim reminder tonight of the reality of the job we are applying to.
    There was a report this evening of a Garda being shot dead in County Louth after Gardai responded to a domestic disturbance call.
    2nd Gard murdered in that part of the country in as many years, sickening.

The garda was killed after the woman he was trying to protect was shot by her husband, who was on bail after being convicted as a member of the IRA earlier this year who straight after killed himself.

All the best to the late Garda's family. Awful news.

Advertisement