Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Stage 3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Swoop23

octigen wrote: »
    I would be amazed if they interview 4 people for every 1 job. There will probably be a cut of around 100 in stage 3 at the most. I would see them 500 going forward for an interview with 150 starting in July and maybe another 150 on a panel. Only a minimal amount of people will lose out due to physical & educational requirements. My thoughts on the matter, and Yes I am in stage 3.

I agree.I think they will lose 100 or 200 from stage 3 at a maximum. and 50 to 100 from the interview/fitness stage. You only have to be within a certain range of your original score to verify your results which is fine.

The place where they will lose people is job simulation and report writing. Even then you only have to be above a certain threshold so potentially they might not cut anyone from stage 3

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

Swoop23 wrote: »
    I agree.I think they will lose 100 or 200 from stage 3 at a maximum. and 50 to 100 from the interview/fitness stage. You only have to be within a certain range of your original score to verify your results which is fine.

The place where they will lose people is job simulation and report writing. Even then you only have to be above a certain threshold so potentially they might not cut anyone from stage 3
    What range do you think they'll allow to verify results. Alot of people have had big swings in both directions between Stage 1 and Stage 2. There was a 15% in my case

• Registered Users Posts: 31 randomnumber1

The 600 has become 599. They won't allow me to change my time allocation which means I wont be able to attend stage 3. Very disappointed

Archer3083 wrote: »
    What range do you think they'll allow to verify results. Alot of people have had big swings in both directions between Stage 1 and Stage 2. There was a 15% in my case

Yea, I'm the same. I think I went up about 10%. I have no idea what range they will make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭octigen

I can't see 300 successful candidates coming from the 600, by that I mean 150 going through in July and another 150 on the panel. All that we've had so far are 2 sets of online testing. Nothing else had been taken into account.

Stage 3 contains 3 similar tests again that were done online + report writing. Granted its in a supervised environment this time but I would still think majority will meet qualifying score and get the opportunity to interview at some stage. Even the few cheaters have a week minimum to prepare and sharpen up! Am I right in thinking that once stage 3 is completed PAS are no longer involved and the AGS conduct the interviews & everything else? Could be wrong...

• Advertisement

The 600 has become 599. They won't allow me to change my time allocation which means I wont be able to attend stage 3. Very disappointed
    Try something. Pull a sickie from work. Beg, borrow, steal etc. to get there, don't give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 randomnumber1

Try something. Pull a sickie from work. Beg, borrow, steal etc. to get there, don't give up.

hopefully i'll figure something but it's not looking great at the moment. was hoping theyd allow me to go the following week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ShodenMcClane

Can anyone tell me why, in the job simulator, 1 is the best and 5 is the worst course of action? Seems odd to go against convention.

Stage 3 contains 3 similar tests again that were done online + report writing. Granted its in a supervised environment this time but I would still think majority will meet qualifying score and get the opportunity to interview at some stage. Even the few cheaters have a week minimum to prepare and sharpen up! Am I right in thinking that once stage 3 is completed PAS are no longer involved and the AGS conduct the interviews & everything else? Could be wrong...

"Stages 1 to 4 of the selection process will be conducted by the Public Appointments Service. Candidates who qualify at Stage 4 and whose place on the order of merit is reached will go forward to Stage 5 for consideration by the Garda Commissioner"

Just found this Quote from Alan Shatter:

"My objective is to maintain current Garda strength at 13,000. Given that the closing date for applications for the competition was the 9 January we hope to have 300 recruits entering training in Templemore in 2014. I would like to say however that reports implying that there are 25,000 applicants for 300 posts are incorrect as we expect to use this competition to provide Garda recruits in 2014, 2015 and 2016."

Looks like we are in with a better shot than I thought of getting a place. 300 jobs this year with more to come in the next two years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Tommy_utd16

Just found this Quote from Alan Shatter:

"My objective is to maintain current Garda strength at 13,000. Given that the closing date for applications for the competition was the 9 January we hope to have 300 recruits entering training in Templemore in 2014. I would like to say however that reports implying that there are 25,000 applicants for 300 posts are incorrect as we expect to use this competition to provide Garda recruits in 2014, 2015 and 2016."

Looks like we are in with a better shot than I thought of getting a place. 300 jobs this year with more to come in the next two years.

I also heard a from a good source that retirements this year are Expected to be in the numbers of 500. Expected being the key word tho!

I also heard a from a good source that retirements this year are Expected to be in the numbers of 500. Expected being the key word tho!

People taking early retirement before any more cuts are introduced

People taking early retirement before any more cuts are introduced
    Where did you find that quote from Shatter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

I would be amazed if they interview 4 people for every 1 job. There will probably be a cut of around 100 in stage 3 at the most. I would see them 500 going forward for an interview with 150 starting in July and maybe another 150 on a panel. Only a minimal amount of people will lose out due to physical & educational requirements. My thoughts on the matter, and Yes I am in stage 3.

To me the fact that they are asking us to bring signed photos and the assessment lasts 5 hours bodes well for us

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭galalala123

i'd love to know how many reserves are left as a matter of interest. people are going to be ineligible aswell after this stage because of convictions, educational standards and that'll surely cull 25-50 people. i'd prefer if they came out and told us exactly how many they want and how many they are cutting from each stage it would make better sense than having all of these rumours. :confused:

Where did you find that quote from Shatter?

http://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2014-01-15a.1540

"Stages 1 to 4 of the selection process will be conducted by the Public Appointments Service. Candidates who qualify at Stage 4 and whose place on the order of merit is reached will go forward to Stage 5 for consideration by the Garda Commissioner"

So you are telling me that no one from the guards will be involved in the interview stages? I find that very hard to believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭Shifty13

So you are telling me that no one from the guards will be involved in the interview stages? I find that very hard to believe.

Usually it was a retired Supernintendo that sat on the interview panel alongside a PAS member. Probably be the same this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭LadyLucinda

Supernintendo, i like it!! I'm gonna ask the supernintendo in the interview that I'd love to hold him in my hands and play games with him :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

I can't see 300 successful candidates coming from the 600, by that I mean 150 going through in July and another 150 on the panel. All that we've had so far are 2 sets of online testing. Nothing else had been taken into account.

well said archer!
    Agreed,

more will be called,from outside the 600,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 tiles

anyone find the simulation exercise example abit confusing, says we have to rate each solution to the problem, then gives an answer of combining two solution, then states we cant actually do that in the test??

also i find the solutions abit soft I would have went with B personally.

Any thoughts?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭Shifty13

tiles wrote: »
    anyone find the simulation exercise example abit confusing, says we have to rate each solution to the problem, then gives an answer of combining two solution, then states we cant actually do that in the test??

also i find the solutions abit soft I would have went with B personally.

Any thoughts?!

They don't want to hear, I'd take out my baton and beat them with it. They want to see how you think. Plus if that option was in there, you would not score highly :) . you rate each answer from 1-5. its going to be like the one we did in stage 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

Supernintendo, i like it!! I'm gonna ask the supernintendo in the interview that I'd love to hold him in my hands and play games with him :)

Filth

Shifty13 wrote: »
    They don't want to hear, I'd take out my baton and beat them with it. They want to see how you think. Plus if that option was in there, you would not score highly :) . you rate each answer from 1-5. its going to be like the one we did in stage 1.

if someone hit me with a can albeit empty or not, someone is getting arrested!! I feel its a fair reaction, other options suggest its ok to do this and "boys will be boys" attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

tiles wrote: »
    if someone hit me with a can albeit empty or not, someone is getting arrested!! I feel its a fair reaction, other options suggest its ok to do this and "boys will be boys" attitude.

If it means u doin paperwork and reports all night resulting in less gardai on the beat on a busy wknd nite?

D Trent wrote: »
    If it means u doin paperwork and reports all night resulting in less gardai on the beat on a busy wknd nite?

it doesn't say anything about it being a busy weekend night.

if a guard is assaulted and no action is taken, whats stopping them throwing a rock the next time.

I feel you have to set an example.

Examiner reporting an expected 400 recruits p/a
    [T]he 25,000 who applied to join An Garda Siochána in its latest recruitment drive have been whittled down to 5,000 after the first stage of the selection process. It is anticipated that up to 400 new recruits will be drafted in each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Kimiko2012

Rothmans wrote: »

Thats fantastic news if its true :D

T]he 25,000 who applied to join An Garda Siochána in its latest recruitment drive have been whittled down to 5,000 after the first stage of the selection process. It is anticipated that up to 400 new recruits will be drafted in each year.

"Up to"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

Kimiko2012 wrote: »
    Thats fantastic news if its true :D

examiner says 400

yet its on the record, from the minister for justices mouth, in the house of parliament that 300 will be taken on in 2014

"Up to"

Yes, which is 100 more than the 'up to 300' we had been hearing.

Scouser wrote: »
    examiner says 400

yet its on the record, from the minister for justices mouth, in the house of parliament that 300 will be taken on in 2014

Yes but if it is 400 guaranteed p/a then over the next 3 years is 1200, gives a glimmer of hope for the us in the (601-3100) and also band 2&3 from stage 1

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

Yes but if it is 400 guaranteed p/a then over the next 3 years is 1200, gives a glimmer of hope for the us in the (601-3100) and also band 2&3 from stage 1

but its not

300 THIS YEAR

said the man whom is recruiting new employees..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

What he's saying is, the minister himself said 300 per year. It would be logical to believe him over a newspaper

examiner says 400

but its not

300 THIS YEAR

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    What he's saying is, the minister himself said 300 per year. It would be logical to believe him over a newspaper

Just last week he was saying between 300 and 400 (i.e. 'up to' 400).

http://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2014-03-04a.869

I recall he initially said up to 300 back in October, but that was then. Maybe things are looking up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Chem Lord

Like someone said before, if I HAD to guess, it would be something like 100 recruits in July, 100 in September and 100 in December. 300 this year and PROBABLY 300-400 next year. That's my guess.

but its not

300 THIS YEAR

Jeez I didn't make the original statement I was just saying its great news if its true I never said the paper was right.

Chem Lord wrote: »
    Like someone said before, if I HAD to guess, it would be something like 100 recruits in July, 100 in September and 100 in December. 300 this year and PROBABLY 300-400 next year. That's my guess.

Yeah, Alan Shatter's the only one who knows tbh(and PAS), but he's not giving too much away. But from what he has said it ain't looking too bad!

Just last week he was saying between 300 and 400 (i.e. 'up to' 400).

http://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2014-03-04a.869

I recall he initially said up to 300 back in October, but that was then. Maybe things are looking up.

My objective is to maintain Garda strength at 13,000 and the number of trainees to be recruited will be determined taking that objective into account along with the rate of departures from the force over the coming years. It is worth noting on this point that, generally speaking, between 300 and 400 Gardaí leave the Force each year.

That statement does not equal we are taking on 400 people this year.

Personally I would love if we took on a thousand this year but that does not make it so and putting words in peoples mouths does not help anyone or anything.

That statement does not equal we are taking on 400 people this year.

Personally I would love if we took on a thousand this year but that does not make it so and putting words in peoples mouths does not help anyone or anything.

Nobody ever said that 400 are definitely being taken on. 400 would be a maximum

'up to' 400. There's no way in hell that Alan Shatter would come out and publicly commit to that! Hence the qualifier 'up to'.

• Advertisement

Nobody ever said that 400 are definitely being taken on. 400 would be a maximum

'up to' 400. There's no way in hell that Alan Shatter would come out and publicly commit to that! Hence the qualifier 'up to'.

Precisely! I mean The examiner said that but Shatters quotes never mention anything above 300 anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭Lmklad

Whatever the true numbers, well done on getting this far. Hopefully ye will get to meet in RL in Templemore. Best of luck.

Christ, would time ever hurry up? I can't take the wait already and I still have two weeks to wait, not to mind then waiting fr the results!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 bort_license

Depending on the state of the economy in the next three quarters, Garda recruitment numbers will be adjusted.

The examiner estimates that it'll fluctuate between 300-400 NEXT YEAR, which means, judging by Ireland's economic performance to date, I personally can't see more than an extra 10 or 20 bodies being employed, to the given 300 already stated by Minister Shatter.

Suppose if your wage comes from the state's purse, it's crucial the government take extremely pre-cautious measurements to this to enable economic stability. However, as a Nurse, Teacher, Civil Servant, Garda etc. pay cuts have already been implemented and whittled down to a fraction of those in other areas of the private job sector. (I like many others where shocked at the salary of Gardai prior to 20 years service as of 2013 trainee booklet).

I wouldn't take too much from the Examiner's post but I do however feel the public servants have taken enough cuts in wage and recruitment that'd it'd be grossly unfair to tackle them further down the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

There was a shooting tonight (won;t say where) I was actually shocked by the little number of garda actually on scene.. I seen a few detectives and maybe 5 uniformed garda. And accoring to the radio it only happened 2-3 hours ago..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭razorgil

overtime budgets probably spent for the week!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 carebear_92

I presume everyone is suiting up for Stage 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭galalala123

I presume everyone is suiting up for Stage 3?

Says make sure and wear comfortable clothing on the familiarisation so its not formal wear just yet! Have it pressed and ready for the next stage though 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ann.lewis

Id say we'd get away with jeans and a hoodie. Its for almost 5 hours on the day.
    It's very quiet on here. Is everyone ok ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

carzony wrote: »
    There was a shooting tonight (won;t say where) I was actually shocked by the little number of garda actually on scene.. I seen a few detectives and maybe 5 uniformed garda. And accoring to the radio it only happened 2-3 hours ago..

More than enough!

• Advertisement
Advertisement