Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Stage 3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Swoop23

ann.lewis wrote: »
    Id say we'd get away with jeans and a hoodie. Its for almost 5 hours on the day.
    It's very quiet on here. Is everyone ok ?

I thought the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ShodenMcClane

ann.lewis wrote: »
    Id say we'd get away with jeans and a hoodie. Its for almost 5 hours on the day.
    It's very quiet on here. Is everyone ok ?

I agree with the jeans and hoodie.

I'd say it's so quiet because a lot of people who didn't make stage 3 probably left boards for the time being.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭SonnyB

Just a quick question regarding the Job Simulation test.

Are we required to rate each possible course of action independately? If for some reason a candiate feels all possible courses of action are adequate does he/she give them all a rating of 3, and the same for if the candidate feels all possible courses of action are bad does he/she mark them all with a rating of 5 ?

I have read the booklet and this is to the best of my understanding correct, I am just looking for clarification.

Cheers Amigos/Amigas

I'd agree with jeans and a jacket myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭Lmklad

That's what I wore (I think. Was 13yrs ago!) bring a bottle of water too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ShodenMcClane

Fegten wrote: »
    Just a quick question regarding the Job Simulation test.

Are we required to rate each possible course of action independately? If for some reason a candiate feels all possible courses of action are adequate does he/she give them all a rating of 3, and the same for if the candidate feels all possible courses of action are bad does he/she mark them all with a rating of 5 ?

I have read the booklet and this is to the best of my understanding correct, I am just looking for clarification.

Cheers Amigos/Amigas

Rate each independently a sif the other options weren't there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Carroller

I'm getting more and more nervous about stage 3! It's all I can think about at the moment

Carroller wrote: »
    I'm getting more and more nervous about stage 3! It's all I can think about at the moment

Snap. Even worse is that im on the last week so i have two weeks to think of it lol

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ann.lewis

Nervous myself. I think I'd have prefered to crash out of the competition at stage 1 rather than get closer and closer and then not pass. That would awful. Anyway..have to stay focused and concentrate :)
    Good that we'll see each other now. Hum..or is it ! I'm only messing

• Advertisement

Has anyone looked into doing the Stage 3 prep course in Dublin/Cork with CS this weekend ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Has anyone looked into doing the Stage 3 prep course in Dublin/Cork with CS this weekend ?

Not me. It can't be that hard to write a report. A reasonable standard of English should suffice to pass that.
    With regard to the aptitude tests sure we've already done them. All we need to do is confirm our scores.

Rothmans wrote: »
    Not me. It can't be that hard to write a report. A reasonable standard of English should suffice to pass that.
    With regard to the aptitude tests sure we've already done them. All we need to do is confirm our scores.

True. Its only for 3 hours and at a discount to candidates who have used CS already in this campaign so I said I may as well go for it.

• Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

The report writing is very straight forward . Only the facts no conjecture , no here say and no perceptions .

Raider190 wrote: »
    The report writing is very straight forward . Only the facts no conjecture , no here say and no perceptions .

I'm assuming (already a bad habit for report writing) that the rules of what tense to use are similar to that of the Garda Reserve report writing tests i.e; 1st, 2nd, 3rd person tense etc.

I'm assuming (already a bad habit for report writing) that the rules of what tense to use are similar to that of the Garda Reserve report writing tests i.e; 1st, 2nd, 3rd person tense etc.

Could you elaborate a bit on that?
    Not really familiar with the report writing myslelf

• Advertisement

Has to be the 1st any report is based on what you see and actual statements made to you. The detail is important as in all reports time , place , etc. the rule is to keep it simple just reporting the facts is what is required. The main mistake a lot of people make is that they turn the report into an essay. Really the basis of any good report is to keep it to the saline points and nothing more

Could you elaborate a bit on that?
    Not really familiar with the report writing myslelf

Those who sat the Garda Reserve report writing exam on the day of their interviews were instructed to use a certain tense (either 1st or 3rd person I cannot remember). Although the GR test was much shorter and an image on paper depicted the incident I'm sure the rule still applie here.

Apologies, I don't mean to be looking too into it and causing confusion but its worth clarifying.

Has to be the 1st any report is based on what you see and actual statements made to you. The detail is important as in all reports time , place , etc. the rule is to keep it simple just reporting the facts is what is required. The main mistake a lot of people make is that they turn the report into an essay. Really the basis of any good report is to keep it to the saline points and nothing more

Cheers. I remember scrapping my GR report cause of silly mistakes and starting again, wasted time but had to be done. Or i could have just done it right the first time lol

Those who sat the Garda Reserve report writing exam on the day of their interviews were instructed to use a certain tense (either 1st or 3rd person I cannot remember). Although the GR test was much shorter and an image on paper depicted the incident I'm sure the rule still applie here.

Apologies, I don't mean to be looking too into it and causing confusion but its worth clarifying.

The same rule applies it's detail detail detail . Remember any report may end up in a court prosecution so getting it correct is essential. Am sure a lot of other posters can offer more advice on this one. Practise a few times . Take a simple event you have been involved with and write a short report. Going to the shop ,driving to a destination , an accident you may have had. I know this is very simplistic but it worked for me . Remember the devil is in the detail

• Registered Users Posts: 25 ana2676

I agree with the jeans and hoodie.

I'd say it's so quiet because a lot of people who didn't make stage 3 probably left boards for the time being.

Nah :) we still read it:) and maybe we don't have nothing to say beside worrying and hoping :)))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭Shifty13

Lads, I know your trying to help each other out, but this is a COMPETITION.

Remember, every person you help is another person that could do better than you! therefore you're doing yourself out of a job.

Shifty13 wrote: »

Remember, every person you help is another person that could do better than you! therefore you're doing yourself out of a job.

You have got to be confident in your own abilities. Advice on how to do a report is available all over the place so there are no state secrets been given away here just some friendly advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Shifty13 wrote: »

I nominate this post for the worst post of the year. It almost defies description.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭wobzilla1

I've a full beard and pretty thick curly hair at the minute. The girlfriend reckons I should shave before going to stage 3 on Wednesday but I think I'll be grand leaving it until the interview stage. What do yous reckon?

wobzilla1 wrote: »
    I've a full beard and pretty thick curly hair at the minute. The girlfriend reckons I should shave before going to stage 3 on Wednesday but I think I'll be grand leaving it until the interview stage. What do yous reckon?

You are right . Appearance will only become a issue at the interview stage

• Registered Users Posts: 46 bort_license

You'll be fine. It's like doing an exam in college. You go in, do your test and your out.

They wont be judging you as you enter the door!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

You'll be fine. It's like doing an exam in college. You go in, do your test and your out.

You really don't understand human nature.

Agree ,there will be no Gardai present at the assessment centre so your appearance won't impact at all. Interview will be a whole different ball game

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

I reckon you'll be alright too, but sure better be safe than sorry, I suppose there's no point taking chances when you have very little to gain and so much to lose. I'm pretty much the same as you, nearly always carrying some stubble

Archer3083 wrote: »
    I reckon you'll be alright too, but sure better be safe than sorry, I suppose there's no point taking chances when you have very little to gain and so much to lose. I'm pretty much the same as you, nearly always carrying some stubble

Not good when your a 25 year old woman ......only joking

• Advertisement

Cheers. I may shave it off just in case. I was just thinking of the passport photo I've to bring along. I'll be getting it taken tomorrow and it's probably going to be seen by members of the gardaí so I'd better shave I suppose. Hopefully the weather gets a bit warmer or I'll be going in with big red raw cheeks

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

You are right . Appearance will only become a issue at the interview stage

thats whats wrong with this generation and you should know better raider, a man of your maturity

your engaging in an assessment for a professional posting you should dress appropriately. a friend of mine sat a DF assessment in gym wear and it was commented upon by a DF member

have some pride in yourself and show some respect

Scouser wrote: »

I've never understood why I should be clean shaven. It's not like I'm going in covered in stubble. I've a full beard and am quite proud of it

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

I've never understood why I should be clean shaven. It's not like I'm going in covered in stubble. I've a full beard and am quite proud of it

its a basic adherence to dress code and etiquette

growing facial hair invokes personal pride - fair enough, but it doesnt show professionalism IMO

theres a 30 page long booklet on dress code for Gardai and Civilians Staff so its something taken very seriously by the organisation

thats whats wrong with this generation and you should know better raider, a man of your maturity

your engaging in an assessment for a professional posting you should dress appropriately. a friend of mine sat a DF assessment in gym wear and it was commented upon by a DF member

Some have a different view but you are entitled to yours. Posters will make up their own opinion. As for maturity I have told you before you are confused

its a basic adherence to dress code and etiquette

growing facial hair invokes personal pride - fair enough, but it doesnt show professionalism IMO

theres a 30 page long booklet on dress code for Gardai and Civilians Staff so its something taken very seriously by the organisation

What has this got to do with the assessment can see the point if it related to the interview but not the assessment

Make up your own mind on this one but I can't see it been a problem . Your results will be the deciding factor not what you look like. The interview is definitely a different matter. The soup catcher will have to go......

How does this lad get away with the moustache?
    NWS_20131114_NEW_016_29615643_I1.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

the last lad that had a full beard turned out to be a whistle blower ;);)

• Advertisement

How does this lad get away with the moustache?
    ]

Moustaches and sideburns are allowed, just not beards.

Moustaches and sideburns are allowed, just not beards.

You can get away with a beard but you have to have a medical cert relating to a skin condition which is rritated by shaving. Very rare and the CMO has to sign off on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

The GRA is taking this to court on behalf of a member who is claiming that his constitutional rights are being breached. Wish him all the best. Absolutely ridiculous rule. Once it is kept trimmed, neat/tidy etc there is absolutely no justification. For example, Gerry Adams usually keeps his immaculate, well groomed. This is acceptable in my opinion and gives the impression that the person is mindful of their appearance. James Reilly at times tends to allow his to overgrow, it is uncombed etc and comes across as unkempt. To me that gives off the wrong impression. I think that if you have one and take care of it then it is acceptable. If on the other hand you come across as a bit of a scruff ball then you should be asked to tidy it up. It isn't asking much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Zadie10

How are people getting on with prep for the AC? I can't actually bring myself to look at another verbal/inductive reasoning test after Stages 1 & 2!

Zadie10 wrote: »
    How are people getting on with prep for the AC? I can't actually bring myself to look at another verbal/inductive reasoning test after Stages 1 & 2!

Tis tough going! For some reason I think the report writing is underestimated a lot by candidates, a large number of people in the older days (2006/7/8) were told they had passed the interview only to be told they have failed the report writing.

Tis tough going! For some reason I think the report writing is underestimated a lot by candidates, a large number of people in the older days (2006/7/8) were told they had passed the interview only to be told they have failed the report writing.

Yeah, its usually the things you think won't catch you that do! I find that to be the case for me anyway. Are you on next week? I'm doing it Thursday, can't wait to just get it done & dusted!

• Advertisement

Yeah, its usually the things you think won't catch you that do! I find that to be the case for me anyway. Are you on next week? I'm doing it Thursday, can't wait to just get it done & dusted!

Yeah same here for me, I did much better in the Verbal R than I did in the Inductive R which came as a big shock!! Probably because I thought the Inductive R would be handy.

Im not up until the 28th!! Are you Thursday 27th is it ?

Yeah same here for me, I did much better in the Verbal R than I did in the Inductive R which came as a big shock!! Probably because I thought the Inductive R would be handy.

Im not up until the 28th!! Are you Thursday 27th is it ?

No - next Thurs, the 20th. Not loving the job simulation either right now :)

No - next Thurs, the 20th. Not loving the job simulation either right now :)

Oh you'll have it done in no time so. Awh shtop the sooner we are done the better, its a bit of a drag.

Oh you'll have it done in no time so. Awh shtop the sooner we are done the better, its a bit of a drag.

And then comes more waiting!

True. Its only for 3 hours and at a discount to candidates who have used CS already in this campaign so I said I may as well go for it.

Well how'd it go?
    Any tips?
    What format should the report be in?

• Advertisement
Advertisement