Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Stage 3

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

redout wrote: »
    The GRA is taking this to court on behalf of a member who is claiming that his constitutional rights are being breached. Wish him all the best. Absolutely ridiculous rule. Once it is kept trimmed, neat/tidy etc there is absolutely no justification. For example, Gerry Adams usually keeps his immaculate, well groomed. This is acceptable in my opinion and gives the impression that the person is mindful of their appearance. James Reilly at times tends to allow his to overgrow, it is uncombed etc and comes across as unkempt. To me that gives off the wrong impression. I think that if you have one and take care of it then it is acceptable. If on the other hand you come across as a bit of a scruff ball then you should be asked to tidy it up. It isn't asking much.

Members been charged and brought to court on trumped up charges when they use their asp and OC spray. And are the GRA anywhere to be seen but a beard issue arises and they are all over it.

And the example of Gerry Adams on a Garda recruitment forum..... Really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Raider190 wrote: »
    Members been charged and brought to court on trumped up charges when they use their asp and OC spray. And are the GRA anywhere to be seen but a beard issue arises and they are all over it.

And the example of Gerry Adams on a Garda recruitment forum..... Really

As a member of the GR you should be politically unbiased mate.

People expressing their opinions on a forum is fair enough but you have identified yourself as a member numerous times.

God forbid Sinn Fein ever form part of a coalition government - whatever will you do?

People expressing their opinions on a forum is fair enough but you have identified yourself as a member numerous times.

God forbid Sinn Fein ever form part of a coalition government -
    whatever will you do?
    First of all I am not your mate.....
    As a Gr I am politically unbiased as a citizen I am have my own views. . The relationship between Sinn Fein and an Garda Siochana has always been what it is the state security agency and the fformer political arm of the IRA.

Think I would need a crystal ball
    With regard to a coalition government

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

As a Gr I am politically unbiased as a citizen I am have my own views. . The relationship between Sinn Fein and an Garda Siochana has always been what it is the state security agency and the fformer political arm of the IRA.

Do ye not realise that the current political parties that have formed a coalition also have the same orignins as Sinn Féin. Fine Gael have sprung out of the IRA, and they've also got their chequered past with a quasi-fascist organisation in the 'Blueshirts'. Labour also had a military wing in the guise of the Irish Citizen Army, and even more recently, Labour absorbed Democratic Left which had more ties to para militarism. All I'm saying is that none of them are sqeaky clean.

God forbid Sinn Fein ever form part of a coalition government -
    whatever will you do?

Archer3083 wrote: »
    Do ye not realise that the current political parties that have formed a coalition also have the same orignins as Sinn Féin. Fine Gael have sprung out of the IRA, and they've also got their chequered past with a quasi-fascist organisation in the 'Blueshirts'. Labour also had a military wing in the guise of the Irish Citizen Army, and even more recently, Labour absorbed Democratic Left which had more ties to para militarism. All I'm saying is that none of them are sqeaky clean.

Hell of a difference between the IRA of the early 1900s and a terrorist organisation. Anyway we are digressing let get back on topic

Yeah, that’s all well and good though the point still stands. Surely it is unbecoming for a person whom has openly identified himself or herself as a member of An Garda Síochána to display a political bias.

Yeah, that’s all well and good though the point still stands. Surely it is unbecoming for a person whom has openly identified himself or herself as a member of An Garda Síochána to display a political bias.

Read my post I am politically unbiased and expressed my opinion as to whether Gerry Adams was a good example......now can we get back on topic

Hell of a difference between the IRA of the early 1900s and a terrorist organisation. Anyway we are depressing let get back on topic
    Are you familiar with that period in history. Cos, it wasn't that different. Look, I'm not going to go on about it anymore, cos I don't really have an opinion on the matter. And prob like most people, I don't think it matters who is in Govt, they're all pretty poor.

Read my post I am politically unbiased and expressed my opinion as to whether Gerry Adams was a good example......now can we get back on topic
    I think it's fair enough to express an opinion on boards because you're not making your identity public. Nobody knows who you really are. And let's be honest, whether you express it on boards or not, it's what you're thinking and you're just being honest. I think that's fair enough. I don't think you should be getting this grilling over an innocent remark.

• Advertisement

Are you familiar with that period in history. Cos, it wasn't that different. Look, I'm not going to go on about it anymore, cos I don't really have an opinion on the matter. And prob like most people, I don't think it matters who is in Govt, they're all pretty poor.

Agree with that

Hell of a difference between the IRA of the early 1900s and a terrorist organisation. Anyway we are depressing let get back on topic

I beg to differ as you are not effectively on here expressing views as a private citizen after you went and identified yourself numerous times as a serving member of An Garda Síochána. You should always consider that before you post under your username. If you wish to express your own personal views then perhaps you should ask if you can have a separate account were you have not identified yourself as a member of An Garda Síochána.

I beg to differ as you are not effectively on here expressing views as a private citizen after you went and identified yourself numerous times as a serving member of An Garda Síochána. You should always consider that before you post under your username. If you wish to express your own personal views then perhaps you should ask if you can have a separate account were you have not identified yourself as a member of An Garda Síochána.
    But sure you don't know his name, and you don't know who his is? His anonymity is still protected.

Dont need your advice now can we get back on topic

But sure you don't know his name, and you don't know who his is? His anonymity is still protected.

Irrelevant. The majority of people who frequent the Garda Recruitment forum will identify this individual as a member of An Garda Síochána. Therefore he/she should be conscious of what it is they post. I think it is a fair point. I’ll drop it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭SonnyB

Rothmans wrote: »
    Well how'd it go?
    Any tips?
    What format should the report be in?

The main empahsis was on structure and layout. Not including content can mark you down BUT including content that is wrong, such as guessing the remaining digits of a number, will also mark you down. Sort of a catch 22.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭galalala123

coolbond wrote: »
    im up tomorrow at 12.45pm for stage 3,would you reckon this is the first session or would there have been an AM session in before me?find it weird to be in on the very first day considering I was nowhere near the top of the 600!

Were u the opposite?? Maybe closest to 600 goes first??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

He hasn't identified himself as a member of An Garda Siochana. He has identified himself as a member of the Garda Siochana Reserve. There is a big difference

• Advertisement

coolbond wrote: »
    310-320 so pretty much in the middle,I currently work in the prison service and im wondering if that has something to do with it!I just fing it very strange because I know someone who was in the 330's and they're not up until next week!im not complaining just wondering

Ya i was trying to figure out the order myself. Could be our original candidate number or something! Good luck anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Zadie10

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    He hasn't identified himself as a member of An Garda Siochana. He has identified himself as a member of the Garda Siochana Reserve. There is a big difference

Reserve Garda is a rank within An Garda Siochana...they're not two different organisations!!!

Santa Cruz wrote: »

Ahhh Cruz after all I have tried to convey to you over the last year and you make such a basic mistake.

Zadie10 wrote: »
    Reserve Garda is a rank within An Garda Siochana...they're not two different organisations!!!

Well said Zadie you obviously know your stuff. I have made that statement to Cruz a number of times but I don't think it has registered yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Fegten wrote: »
    The main empahsis was on structure and layout. Not including content can mark you down BUT including content that is wrong, such as guessing the remaining digits of a number, will also mark you down. Sort of a catch 22.

Thanks very much, and is there any particular format it should take?
    Is there a template of some description to follow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Zadie10

Well said Zadie you obviously know your stuff. I have made that statement to Cruz a number of times but I don't think it has registered yet.

I think a lot doesn't register there ... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sjlc

Just wondering what the print out of the invitation is?

No hassle at all lad. No template was mentioned during the training course, just keep everything clear and concise was the main focus with regards to structure.

Remember it all in the detail date day time place names numbers address . Just the facts and no elaborations or conjecture

sjlc wrote: »
    Just wondering what the print out of the invitation is?

You would have been sent an email and/or a public jobs message stating your invite to Stage 3.

Blue pen, Black Pen ? Decisions Decisions!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

just keep everything clear and concise

how much did that nugget of wisdom set you back?

Scouser wrote: »
    how much did that nugget of wisdom set you back?

50 snots. Probably the only benefit of the day was doing 2 visual and 2 audio scenarios in a room with 23 other people. Sort of got a feel for the setting and whats in store on the actual day. For that alone it was worth the spin up

You would have been sent an email and/or a public jobs message stating your invite to Stage 3.

So it's just essentially a screenshot of that message then? Sorry if I sound dumb, it's just not very clear what the invitation is.

sjlc wrote: »
    So it's just essentially a screenshot of that message then? Sorry if I sound dumb, it's just not very clear what the invitation is.

I'd be going with the printable version.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ann.lewis

Blue pen, Black Pen ? Decisions Decisions!!

I think I did mine in pencil the last time. Then you can rub it out and rewrite if you make a few mistakes instead of black lines and scribbles and what not.
    I guess whatever you think is best

ann.lewis wrote: »
    I think I did mine in pencil the last time. Then you can rub it out and rewrite if you make a few mistakes instead of black lines and scribbles and what not.
    I guess whatever you think is best

That's probably the better way to go alright, I hadn't really considered using a pencil now that you say it but logically its better. Just curious as to whether it would look odd or not..

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ann.lewis

That's probably the better way to go alright, I hadn't really considered using a pencil now that you say it but logically its better. Just curious as to whether it would look odd or not..

Look odd to who ? As long as your page is neat and tidy and you have all the relevant information and it reads logically im sure there is no problem at all :) whatever you feel most comfortable with and confident

Look odd to who ? As long as your page is neat and tidy and you have all the relevant information and it reads logically im sure there is no problem at all :) whatever you feel most comfortable with and confident
    You would think nowadays that the report writing would be done on a laptop/pc. That would also give you the opportunity to reread, correct mistakes and make additions without the need to rewrite a complete report. How many of us really use a pen and paper that often anymore

Just in general. Yeah that's true too! I agree with the use of a computer, however.

I doubt you'll have much of a choice. In the familiarisation material it says that all pens etc. will be provided.

• Advertisement

You would think nowadays that the report writing would be done on a laptop/pc. That would also give you the opportunity to reread, correct mistakes and make additions without the need to rewrite a complete report. How many of us really use a pen and paper that often anymore

Remember when you have to attend an incident all you have is your note book and pen to record the details.

Remember when you have to attend an incident all you have is your note book and pen to record the details.
    Fair enough, didn't think of that, I was more thinking of being back in the station, but sure you'd have to hand written notes from the incident.

Fair enough, didn't think of that, I was more thinking of being back in the station, but sure you'd have to hand written notes from the incident.

Plenty of computer input required when you do get back to the station so IT skills are important so a good knowledge of Word and even Excel is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 druidsland

lots of things required to get in AGS like IT, languages, mental state, above average physical and at last driving licence and lots of other good things, but i am afraid we're cut just before somebody can see big nice picture

• Registered Users Posts: 11 druidsland

Plenty of computer input required when you do get back to the station so IT skills are important so a good knowledge of Word and even Excel is needed.

could you please explain 'good knowledge of Word'. is it clipart inserts and font size change?:)

druidsland wrote: »
    lots of things required to get in AGS like IT, languages, mental state, above average physical and at last driving licence and lots of other good things, but i am afraid we're cut just before somebody can see big nice picture

IT and driving licence are not required! Might come in useful but not required at all

could you please explain 'good knowledge of Word'. is it clipart inserts and font size change?:)

Basic skills required to produce documents such as statements , reports and files. Nothing too complicated.

I wouldn't lose hope just yet. Nobody really knows how this recruitment campaign is going to go. If you're not called to Stage 3 this time, then maybe before the end of this year or next year. It's good to be realistic, but it's also no harm to think positively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

Best of luck to everyone today and the coming days!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭Shifty13

Soooooooo?

How did people get on? (dont have to give too much info away) maybe just a "Difficult or Easy" answer will do?

Advertisement