Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Stage 3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Chem Lord

Part of agreement we had to sign today said that we would promise not to give any information on stage three, be it on social media or in person. It can result in disqualification from the competition!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Chem Lord wrote: »
    Part of agreement we had to sign today said that we would promise not to give any information on stage three, be it on social media or in person. It can result in disqualification from the competition!

Aye, because they'll get the lads in GCHQ to pass on users info ;)

It will all come out on FB, word of mouth, internet etc. over the next few days.

Tests are tests at the end of the day, expect them to get harder each stage you progress.

Familiarisation material was provided.

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail and all that springs to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Zadie10

Better say nothing so! I take it people were dressed casually enough - like no suits right?

Zadie10 wrote: »
    Better say nothing so! I take it people were dressed casually enough - like no suits right?

Yeah it was very casual, although a couple of people wore suits. A shirt/plain top and jeans would be fine! I'd advise bringing your own pen (I saw a couple of people having problems with the PAS ones), and a bottle of water because you can be sitting in that room for over an hour at a time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Zadie10

Yeah it was very casual, although a couple of people wore suits. A shirt/plain top and jeans would be fine! I'd advise bringing your own pen (I saw a couple of people having problems with the PAS ones), and a bottle of water because you can be sitting in that room for over an hour at a time!

Perfect thanks! You'd swear I had nothing else to worry about but I'm just trying to keep my mind occupied by planning everything so the nerves don't creep in. Congrats on getting it done anyway - now you're back to the waiting game :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Forgot this started today, that's what happens after 3 days of drinking!!!

Good luck to all still involved :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 carebear_92

Has anyone gotten an M10 form before? Just realised my licence will need renewal this week so only other form of ID is my student card which isn't on the list! What's involved with the form? Can they just giove you one if you drop down to the station?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ann.lewis

Defo bring water. I was gasping. Good call on the pen too. Maybe bring two pens just incase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Without mentioning anything about the actual content of the exams themselves, how did people find them? Particularly the report writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

Rothmans wrote: »
    Without mentioning anything about the actual content of the exams themselves, how did people find them? Particularly the report writing.

were there any major surprises in any of the tests?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Scouser wrote: »
    were there any major surprises in any of the tests?

I haven't done mine yet either,just asking how folks found it.

As someone said above, everything is explained in the familiarisation! Also if you have any questions you want to ask in relation to the competition / working in AGS, you can ask them at the end of the presentation... There was mention of an intake of 105 by the end of July and another 105 hopefully by the end of October, so it's not looking like that figure of 300 intakes this year is going to happen.... Shock horror....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rocky911

As someone said above, everything is explained in the familiarisation! Also if you have any questions you want to ask in relation to the competition / working in AGS, you can ask them at the end of the presentation... There was mention of an intake of 105 by the end of July and another 105 hopefully by the end of October, so it's not looking like that figure of 300 intakes this year is going to happen.... Shock horror....

Hope it went well for ya Chemlord, any indication that the numbers will come from this 600?

rocky911 wrote: »
    Hope it went well for ya Chemlord, any indication that the numbers will come from this 600?

Thanks, no there wasn't, all that was said was that the best from stage three would be called first and the rest who pass will be dipped into when needed by AGS. Maybe someone can ask and get more details on this over the coming days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rocky911

Thanks, no there wasn't, all that was said was that the best from stage three would be called first and the rest who pass will be dipped into when needed by AGS. Maybe someone can ask and get more details on this over the coming days!

Thats really positive though to be honest... heading on friday now for mine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 tiles

This is just a general question and nothing to do with exams.

Did the administrator clarify something that was mentioned in the familiarization material. They said your score in stage 2 should represent your score in stage 3, did they mean your individual score or collective score of the 600.

i.e if you placed 60 after stage 2, hence you did 10 times better than person who placed 600, are you expected to do better than them again or does everyone go back to square one and we all have a threshold to surpass just to prove we done well in stage 2??

Just because you placed 60 doesn't mean you did 10 times better than the person at 600. There could be 10-20 people graded at place 120 and so on. Essentially, there could only be the difference of a couple of correct answers between someone placed at 109 and someone placed at 600. And no, they didn't give any specifics as to how close you have to get to your scores in previous rounds.

Just because you placed 60 doesn't mean you did 10 times better than the person at 600. There could be 10-20 people graded at place 120 and so on. Essentially, there could only be the difference of a couple of correct answers between someone placed at 109 and someone placed at 600. And no, they didn't give any specifics as to how close you have to get to your scores in previous rounds.
    I wish they did.. I had a complete melt down. Couldn't even concentrate to read the info passage never mind read the test questions.
    I settled a little bit though when I zoned in. Time will tell I guess.
    Well done today today folks and best of luck to everyone who is still to go. Concentrate early and zone in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 niall93

Can anyone who sat the assessments today confirm if the verbal & inductive are purely a verification of our unsupervised scores? Am I right in saying we'll progress on our performance in the report writing & job sim?

Lets hope we're battling it out for the 210 jobs this year and not just julys intake!

Niall,
    I think you still need to reach a qualifying score in your verbal and inductive. Thats what I was under the impression of. Then if your scores are way off they will question your validity of stage 2, unsupervised.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 tiles

.i.e if you placed 60 after stage 2, hence you did 10 times better than person who placed 600.

meant to say placed 10 times ahead. but I think that's obvious as considering the competition and margins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭IrishPhoenix

Can I ask what time the tests finished up at? Trying to work out train schedules at the moment...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭coolbond

Can I ask what time the tests finished up at? Trying to work out train schedules at the moment...
    I was out about 16.50 yesterday,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭lilblackdress

coolbond wrote: »
    I was out about 16.50 yesterday,

Was that with a 12.45 start time?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭coolbond

Was that with a 12.45 start time?!
    yep

Best of luck everyone today. I wish I was there today. Messed up on the verbal yesterday. Took ages for my silly little brain to settle and focus.

Anyway, never mind me.. I'm done. Best of luck to all who are to go in the next few days and next week :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

ann.lewis wrote: »
    Best of luck everyone today. I wish I was there today. Messed up on the verbal yesterday. Took ages for my silly little brain to settle and focus.

Anyway, never mind me.. I'm done. Best of luck to all who are to go in the next few days and next week :)

I'm sure you did just fine, good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 bort_license

I have yet to do my test, however it appears from reading through recent posts on this thread, one will qualify to the interview stage if their scores match in or around those they obtained in stage 2?

Essentially 600 could progress to be interviewed in the next couple of weeks if their where no "cheaters" amongst the panel? As opposed to stage 3 being another examination stage whereby people WILL be dropped.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

• Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

Sounds good 2 to 1 odds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭octigen

I have yet to do my test, however it appears from reading through recent posts on this thread, one will qualify to the interview stage if their scores match in or around those they obtained in stage 2?

Essentially 600 could progress to be interviewed in the next couple of weeks if their where no "cheaters" amongst the panel? As opposed to stage 3 being another examination stage whereby people WILL be dropped.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I would think you are right. Provided you meet the qualifying score in all four tests. However there will be a drop from the 600 as some may not attend and some will fail for a variety of reasons. I would think around 100 or so max however. The suitability of these 500 will determine the future of the people in the other bands for this year. PAS or AGS don't know how suitable the highest scoring people are until the interview stage so until then we are just a number. But as in all tests the higher the better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ShodenMcClane

Correct me if I'm wrong.

No, sure then the report writing and job simulation would be pointless. There will be people cut in this round.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭octigen

No, sure then the report writing and job simulation would be pointless. There will be people cut in this round.

Fair point. I would think the fail rate would be low however.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭TooLate

Anyone know if the assessment centre is taking place on the 31st and 1st trying o change me date from the 26th if possible..anybody any ideas on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Has anyone gotten an M10 form before? Just realised my licence will need renewal this week so only other form of ID is my student card which isn't on the list! What's involved with the form? Can they just giove you one if you drop down to the station?

What's the M10 form? Thanks

D Trent wrote: »

It is a form for identification. i.e. if you don't have the likes of a passport or drivers license etc.

• Advertisement

These forms are no longer available at any Garda station. People are advised to apply for a Garda age card no matter what age they are.you apply on line www.agecard.ie. an application form is posted out you fill it out , attach a photo bring it to the station with your birth cert and any other id you may have. It is signed and forwarded to age card by Gardai. You then receive it back in the post within 3 / 4 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Shady Tady

Raider190 wrote: »
    These forms are no longer available at any Garda station. People are advised to apply for a Garda age card no matter what age they are

Incorrect they are still available

Shady Tady wrote: »
    Incorrect they are still available

Not from a Garda station

These forms are no longer available at any Garda station. People are advised to apply for a Garda age card no matter what age they are

They can be still found online through the likes of financial institutions. See link below. The problem is that the Garda is supposed to know the individual before they sign it or at least be satisfied as to that individuals identity etc. That I believe is the reason why some Gardai refuse to sign them.

http://www.rabodirect.ie/more/help/form-downloads.aspx

redout wrote: »
    They can be still found online through the likes of financial institutions. See link below. The problem is that the Garda is supposed to know the individual before they sign it or at least be satisfied as to that individuals identity etc. That I believe is the reason why some Gardai refuse to sign them.

http://www.rabodirect.ie/more/help/form-downloads.aspx

In my station no one will sign them as I said we advise the age card option

• Advertisement

These forms are no longer available at any Garda station. People are advised to apply for a Garda age card no matter what age they are.you apply on line www.agecard.ie. an application form is posted out you fill it out , attach a photo bring it to the station with your birth cert and any other id you may have. It is signed and forwarded to age card by Gardai. You then receive it back in the post within 3 / 4 weeks

The Age Card does not replace the M10 form and is not a form of ID after all the sole purpose of age card is to prove a persons age

The Age Card does not replace the M10 form and is not a form of ID after all the sole purpose of age card is to prove a persons age

It is accepted as a formal form of identification. I know of no station where the Garda on the public desk will sign an M10 for an individual he or she does not personally know. No Garda will put their name to a document unless they are 100%. It just does not happen. It's the same with passport applications the rules are there to be followed to the letter

• Registered Users Posts: 3 caroline86

Got through to stage 3 of the recruitment and offered a senior physio job in London on the same day...arghh decisions!!?

caroline86 wrote: »
    Got through to stage 3 of the recruitment and offered a senior physio job in London on the same day...arghh decisions!!?

Tough choice . Say yes to the job just in case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ShodenMcClane

Take the job but keep going for the Guards too by the time you have to make a decision (if you get that far) you'll know if you like the job or not.

It will take you maybe 3 yrs to earn in the guards per annum what you will earn in first yr being a physio.
    And higher job satisfaction. My friend she's physio in cork and loves hr line of work

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

If you find that a hard decision I'd question your ability for either job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭Lmklad

redout wrote: »
    It is a form for identification. i.e. if you don't have the likes of a passport or drivers license etc.

Unfortunately not a form of ID like a drivers licence. It's called an ML10 form and is solely used for proof of name and address for the purposes of opening a bank account. That's all. I completed one last week so they are definitely still available from Garda Stations. The ML10 will not be accepted in lue if a drivers licence, passport or age card as proof of ID unless it's for a bank account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Id take the physio job if I were you, just to be on safe side,

If stage3 went belly up etc you d have nothing,

better to play it safe than sorry in this climate!

good luck with the decision you make :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 caroline86

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    If you find that a hard decision I'd question your ability for either job

Why so? Obviously the jobs are quite different but after working for a few years as a physio and growing up with Garda relations I honestly think the skills required for both are transferable-patience, good interpersonal and communication skills, self motivation for development, verbal reasoning and decision making, efficient documentation etc etc. The hard decision is having to emigrate from friends and family once again in order to get a decent physio job or waiting to see if I actually get accepted as a Garda trainee in the next year (getting annual leave to continue with the final stages-granted I even get that far-is unlikely in the first three months of the job)

• Advertisement
Advertisement