Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Stage 3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Hitchroun

caroline86 wrote: »
    Why so? Obviously the jobs are quite different but after working for a few...

Don't bother, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Shady Tady

Lmklad wrote: »
    Unfortunately not a form of ID like a drivers licence. It's called an ML10 form and is solely used for proof of name and address for the purposes of opening a bank account. That's all. I completed one last week so they are definitely still available from Garda Stations. The ML10 will not be accepted in lue if a drivers licence, passport or age card as proof of ID unless it's for a bank account.

100%

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Shady Tady

caroline86 wrote: »
    Why so? Obviously the jobs are quite different but after working for a few years as a physio and growing up with Garda relations I honestly think the skills required for both are transferable-patience, good interpersonal and communication skills, self motivation for development, verbal reasoning and decision making, efficient documentation etc etc. The hard decision is having to emigrate from friends and family once again in order to get a decent physio job or waiting to see if I actually get accepted as a Garda trainee in the next year (getting annual leave to continue with the final stages-granted I even get that far-is unlikely in the first three months of the job)

You are looking at short term problems, everyone will face similar problems to different degrees, if you are looking at entering a 30 year career and you will manage to get leave etc. if you pass on the garda career the oportunity is unlikely to present itself again however it's more likely you could always pursue the physio career down the road if you don't like policing. Ironically this is where the reserve could have been useful if you were in it you would be better able to make the decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ShodenMcClane

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    If you find that a hard decision I'd question your ability for either job

Care to explain this abomination of a statement?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Care to explain this abomination of a statement?

A person studies hard to get into a much sought after university course, then qualifies as a physiotherapist and is offered a senior position in London.

On the other hand they have a possible chance of progressing in a competition which has attracted thousands. If successful they could end up in a dump of a station for a number of years while losing their hard learned physiotherapy skills. I am not convinced that a person that well educated will find the job satisfaction in the Garda especially with regard to income earning potential and future career prospects. Have a reality check is my advice

• Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

If you find that a hard decision I'd question your ability for either job

Nasty post . Why post this at all. All this person wanted was some advice .

Canyon86 wrote: »
    Id take the physio job if I were you, just to be on safe side,

If stage3 went belly up etc you d have nothing,

better to play it safe than sorry in this climate!

good luck with the decision you make :)

Excellent advice

A person studies hard to get into a much sought after university course, then qualifies as a physiotherapist and is offered a senior position in London.

On the other hand they have a possible chance of progressing in a competition which has attracted thousands. If successful they could end up in a dump of a station for a number of years while losing their hard learned physiotherapy skills. I am not convinced that a person that well educated will find the job satisfaction in the Garda especially with regard to income earning potential and future career prospects. Have a reality check is my advice

Why not post this response first ?..

All good points. And I agree the reserve is an excellent opportunity to see the job from the inside and decide if the regular is the job for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Alkers

Just remembering to post this now. I was due for stage 3 today but had decided not to continue with my application because of things improving at work.
    I was considering taking stage 3 in any case for the experience but in the end decided against it as I would have had to take leave from work which I did not wish to do, only to opt out at the next stage.
    I would say there are a few other people who have not attended stage 3, especially given PAS' reluctance to re-schedule appointments thus far.

Best of luck to all who remain, there's at least one less competitor in your way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭wobzilla1

I've worked on PCs for the last 9 years since I left school and haven't used a pen and paper for anything more than a small shopping list.
    My hand was nearly falling off after writing less than 2 A4 pages of a report yesterday.
    I never thought you could get out of shape for writing.
    Better start exercising my hand muscles

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭OscarWhiskey

I know ye are bound to secrecy etc. but was wondering would any of the lads who ave done the assessment centre stage be willing to put up their itinerary for the day, without giving anything away obviously...

cheers

Was also wondering was their an average age group up there? early 20's? Late 20's? Just out of pure curiosity...

I know ye are bound to secrecy etc. but was wondering would any of the lads who ave done the assessment centre stage be willing to put up their itinerary for the day, without giving anything away obviously...

cheers

Was also wondering was their an average age group up there? early 20's? Late 20's? Just out of pure curiosity...

It's getting to the very competitive stage and you want other applicants to give you an advantage that they did not have.
    You will find out in good time.

It's getting to the very competitive stage and you want other applicants to give you an advantage that they did not have.
    You will find out in good time.

Good man, did I ask for any tips or hints? No.. I am not in the top 600 so I wouldn't be doing anyone out of anything. Just wanted to know what kind of a day it is, how everything was rolled out, did anyone have any interesting conversations with other candidates about recruitment etc.

Relax a small bit, just looking for general info on something Ive an interest in, if that's ok with you...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭Shifty13

cheers

Read the Familiarisation document that what it is there for!!!!!!!!!

cheers

It's exactly what your told in the email.
    The two tests you've already done, the job skills exam and the report writing exam.
    There's a short break (15 minutes) in between and then there's a short presentation by some members of AGS and you can ask questions

Majority of people were mid to late twenties

• Advertisement

Im not in the top 600 so didn't get any familiarisation stuff.

Was just being curious. Cheers for the info Wobzilla1, was all I was looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭mycro89

Will people fail this stage?

mycro89 wrote: »

Why else would they have the stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭octigen

In a word.... Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Chem Lord

Did mine in Tuesday. Not very optimistic on how I did on the report writing as I don't know what they're marking scheme for it is. The wait for these results is already killing me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Chem Lord

wobzilla1 wrote: »
    Why else would they have the stage?

And yes, people will fail this stage. Someone might have cheated in stage one and two and won't be able to get the same marks in the 'verification' tests. Also people can fail the job simulation and report writing exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭misshopeful1

Hi there everyone, I'm through to stage 3 too. I was just wondering... does anyone know when Templemore training will begin, for those of us who succeed. Many thanks in advance :-)

It's not definite but they're hoping in July I think

It's not definite but they're hoping in July I think
    Great, thanks. Just to have an idea :-)

Great, thanks. Just to have an idea :-)

You can ask them when you go up to Abbey street.
    Most of the questions were things like that.
    How long you spend there, etc

You can ask them when you go up to Abbey street.
    Most of the questions were things like that.
    How long you spend there, etc
    Yeah, I'm up there this Monday. Thanks :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Good luck to anybody going in next few days,

And those that have been in already Im sure ye did super :)

Are you serious?!? There's a fairly low bar for pointless questions in this forum but this takes the biscuit.

On a serious note; I'm in a bit of a bind and I'm not sure what to do: My passport and drivers licence are both more than 5 years old, so I went to get my licence replaced today and I was told that it would take 3 weeks to get sent out to me, which is a joke considering it took half an hour at the motor tax office 5 years ago. So I have no ID from the last 5 years and don't personally know any guards in my town to get an ML10 filled out.

What an effing joke, my passport is valid for absolutely everything except applying for a job apparently. I won't even go into the nonsense I went through at the NDLS centre. This country is an absolute joke sometimes.

I have heard so many complaints about the NDLS process. What was wrong with the system that worked?
    I suppose some expert consultant got millions for dreaming up the new system

I have heard so many complaints about the NDLS process. What was wrong with the system that worked?
    I suppose some expert consultant got millions for dreaming up the new system

It's an absolute joke, by the time I get my licence it will be 5 weeks from the first time I walked in their door. I swear to god the whole process took a half an hour in the motor tax office and this is relevant and on topic because I now have no ID from the last 5 years even though my passport is still valid.

• Advertisement

I don't want to set false expectations but neither my passport or invitation were looked at for the entire day.
    My passport is 7 years old so I had extra photos with me.
    All they checked was the one passport photo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

Are you serious?!? There's a fairly low bar for pointless questions in this forum but this takes the biscuit.

On a serious note; I'm in a bit of a bind and I'm not sure what to do: My passport and drivers licence are both more than 5 years old, so I went to get my licence replaced today and I was told that it would take 3 weeks to get sent out to me, which is a joke considering it took half an hour at the motor tax office 5 years ago. So I have no ID from the last 5 years and don't personally know any guards in my town to get an ML10 filled out.

What an effing joke, my passport is valid for absolutely everything except applying for a job apparently. I won't even go into the nonsense I went through at the NDLS centre. This country is an absolute joke sometimes.

I thought I was in the same situation, forgot all about my motorbike license I have from last year, I was about to head into my local garda station, I explained on the phone that my passport and drivers license are older than 5 years and that because of this, they would not be accepted, the garda on the phone asked me to print out the email which states this and bring it and they may be able to sort it out with the ml10 form. I'd say give your local station a call for advice and whether they can help you out in this regard or not. ****ty system alright tho.

I thought I was in the same situation, forgot all about my motorbike license I have from last year, I was about to head into my local garda station, I explained on the phone that my passport and drivers license are older than 5 years and that because of this, they would not be accepted, the garda on the phone asked me to print out the email which states this and bring it and they may be able to sort it out with the ml10 form. I'd say give your local station a call for advice and whether they can help you out in this regard or not. ****ty system alright tho.

I'd usually ring em up and give PAS a piece of my mind but I don't want it to reflect badly on my application.

I just realised that the email says to bring another photo ID if your ID is older than five years old. I mis-read it as bring another photo, so I just brought 2 passport photos.
    Lucky they didn't check it. I could have been disqualified for something so stupid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Aye, NDLS is bollix. Everything is sent off to Cork. I had to wait about 10 weeks for my license. Applied late October and got it early January. I have heard that they have improved though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 standtwo

Had to go to NDLS omni four times. Had to join a q of 50, to get an appointment on Saturday.

Only saving grace is your one on reception is deadly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Swoop23

It's an absolute joke, by the time I get my licence it will be 5 weeks from the first time I walked in their door. I swear to god the whole process took a half an hour in the motor tax office and this is relevant and on topic because I now have no ID from the last 5 years even though my passport is still valid.

It just asks that you bring 2 forms of ID if they are older than 5 years as added proof that it is your ID.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

standtwo wrote: »
    Had to go to NDLS omni four times. Had to join a q of 50, to get an appointment on Saturday.

Only saving grace is your one on reception is deadly :)

Good at her job or she's a babe?

Swoop23 wrote: »
    It just asks that you bring 2 forms of ID if they are older than 5 years as added proof that it is your ID.

Nope, it says if it is older than 5 years bring a more recent one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

My passport and DL were both older than 5 years, had a work ID and PSA as back up, dont worry. Your passport can get you to any country in the world, why PAS wouldnt accept it would be silly.

shakin wrote: »
    My passport and DL were both older than 5 years, had a work ID and PSA as back up, dont worry. Your passport can get you to any country in the world, why PAS wouldnt accept it would be silly.

I would agree but for the fact that they went to the trouble of explicitly saying it in the familiarisation material. Now that the NDLS centre took my damaged licence off me (which was in date) I literally have no other form of photo ID.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 standtwo

D Trent wrote: »
    Good at her job or she's a babe?

Serious Cutie

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭fergie199

Hey all, just finished my stage 3 tests today, for obvious reasons I can't give much away but I found it harder then previous tests and really left me thinking I should have done better, good luck to all still to do the tests and congratulations for all who has gotten this far, it's an achievement in itself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

fergie199 wrote: »
    Hey all, just finished my stage 3 tests today, for obvious reasons I can't give much away but I found it harder then previous tests and really left me thinking I should have done better, good luck to all still to do the tests and congratulations for all who has gotten this far, it's an achievement in itself

Unless it went disastrously worse than the originals, I think you should be fine. It's just a re-test to verify your score!

Were you talking to anyone else in the test centre?

How'd they find it?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ann.lewis

fergie199 wrote: »

Hey Fergie..I I found the day the same too. Perhaps it was the pressure of the exam room and others around you and the thoughts of 4 tests in a few hours. Plus the pressure we probably put on ourselves.
    Sure look...you did your very best. We'll know soon enough I suppose. Mid April ?

I know myself, if I was going to fail i'd like to have failed stage 1 and not got deeper in and closer and then fail almost half way there :(
    but look....you did it and be proud :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

ann.lewis wrote: »
    Hey Fergie..I I found the day the same too. Perhaps it was the pressure of the exam room and others around you and the thoughts of 4 tests in a few hours. Plus the pressure we probably put on ourselves.
    Sure look...you did your very best. We'll know soon enough I suppose. Mid April ?

I know myself, if I was going to fail i'd like to have failed stage 1 and not got deeper in and closer and then fail almost half way there :(
    but look....you did it and be proud :)

If you found it harder, most others will have found it harder too. When analysing the results, PAS will see an average deviation from stage 2 results, which could be quite large, so nothing to fret about yet I think :)

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ann.lewis

Rothmans wrote: »
    If you found it harder, most others will have found it harder too. When analysing the results, PAS will see an average deviation from stage 2 results, which could be quite large, so nothing to fret about yet I think :)

Well hopefully and hopefully they allow for nerves and what not.

Every day is a day closer to results I guess. I've myself set up for results before easter. Or before Good Friday even so whats that....the 17th ? If we get them before the 17th then great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

I would agree but for the fact that they went to the trouble of explicitly saying it in the familiarisation material. Now that the NDLS centre took my damaged licence off me (which was in date) I literally have no other form of photo ID.

I Wouldn't exactly blame NDLS. You voluntarily went to an NDLS centre and handed over your licence knowing that the new service is significantly slower than when the co councils were running, and all this AFTER you received instruction from PAS to bring an in-date ID to chapter house
    ann.lewis wrote: »
    Well hopefully and hopefully they allow for nerves and what not.

Every day is a day closer to results I guess. I've myself set up for results before easter. Or before Good Friday even so whats that....the 17th ? If we get them before the 17th then great.

I would say results will issue Monday April 14th maybe tues 15th at the latest.

I mean this time PAS don't have to wait to receive results off Cut-E or SHL they are in charge of it themselves, not to mention having to accommodate only 700 odd candidates and I'm including Sraith Gaeilge applicants when I say that to be on safe side

Man I feel like that Raider 190 when I'm individually replying consecutively to different posts and thus hogging the thread so to speak, I better be careful

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 133 ✭✭Sir Chops

I just realised that the email says to bring another photo ID if your ID is older than five years old. I mis-read it as bring another photo, so I just brought 2 passport photos.
    Lucky they didn't check it. I could have been disqualified for something so stupid

As Malone said to Ness "there goes the next chief of police..."

D Trent wrote: »
    Man I feel like that Raider 190 when I'm individually replying consecutively to different posts and thus hogging the thread so to speak, I better be careful

You do your fair share of hogging believe you me

• Advertisement
Advertisement