Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Towerfall: Ascension (PC and PS4)

Options
  • 10-03-2014 6:09pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭

It's probably not the best week to be launching a small indie game, given the double punch of Titanfall and Dark Souls II. But currently (although perhaps temporarily) sitting a few points ahead of the former on Metacritic is Towerfall: Ascension.

Obviously not the game to give your PS4 a graphical workout, it nonetheless is being hailed as a terrific, exciting multiplayer experience. It's a revamped version of an Oyua game, but seems like this is the definitive version. Most of all, it promises to have a strong focus on local multiplayer, which is all too rare these days.

Looking forward to giving it a whirl!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Anyone else playing this? I haven't had a chance to play multiplayer yet, but even in the singleplayer quest it's an absolute joy to play. The mechanics are so simple and yet perfectly crafted. Every game, whether it ends in success or failure, is full of 'holy ****!' moments of your own making. Wiping out multiple enemies via a bomb bat. Shooting 'off screen' to score incredible skill kills. Catching an arrow at the last second and firing it right back at your attacker. The game knows how amazing these moments can be, and even chooses to have sections of some levels play out entirely in beautiful, epic slow motion :D The handful of complications it layers on its basic arrow action are brilliant - the wings are a risky game changer, the bomb arrows capable of huge destruction, and the drill arrows a wonderful tactical tool.

It's a difficult game in single player - you have to survive multiple waves on a limited number of lives, and some of the AI opponents are formidable - but it's always tempting to go for one more go. Even when you know you're not going to make it to the final wave, it's immense fun to simply play, and is designed expertly to almost ensure you will pull off some immense stunt in every single round. It is never dull - having arrows as a finite resource you need to constantly recollect means you're always moving, taking risks and evaluating the map. There's only three main actions (apart from basic movement and aiming), but it's a game layered in complexity. It might well be the best designed game I've played recently.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm going to continue talking to myself here :pac:

So the game is free on PS Plus from today. Hopefully that means more people will have the chance to experience this giddily inventive and engrossing game that's a strong candidate for the year's best!

Polygon have published an article about the game's inception, development and release. Interesting to note that the PS4 has actually been the most successful version, although then a predominantly local multiplayer game is always likely to thrive more on consoles than PC: http://www.polygon.com/features/2014/7/2/5858032/towerfall-matt-thorson

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Knew nothing about this game so good to have a nice summary. Cheers man

Look forward to grabbing it tomorrow and giving it a shot

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Been playing this since the Ouya. Its probably got the most hours clocked up of any of the games I've got for the PS4 also.

This game is the reason to get extra controllers guys

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Looking forward to playing it... I still think they should add online MP. It would definitely boost sales.

• Advertisement

tok9 wrote: »
    Looking forward to playing it... I still think they should add online MP. It would definitely boost sales.

The creator has stated that he does not have the programming skills for the necessary net code - and since it's very close to being a one man job, you can't blame him.

And the game is so twitchy and fast paced and smooth that any online lag at all would destroy the experience. It's very comparable to Nidhogg, and certainly from reviews I've read that game's online mode is no substitute for local. It took Capcom years to get split second multiplayer to a just about acceptable state, after all, so there's no shortage of practical obstacles facing its implementation here. Certainly would take a decent investment to get it up to scratch.

Not to mention the local multiplayer revival is absolutely fantastic and should only be encouraged :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

The creator has stated that he does not have the programming skills for the necessary net code - and since it's very close to being a one man job, you can't blame him.

And the game is so twitchy and fast paced and smooth that any online lag at all would destroy the experience. It's very comparable to Nidhogg, and certainly from reviews I've read that game's online mode is no substitute for local. It took Capcom years to get split second multiplayer to a just about acceptable state, after all, so there's no shortage of practical obstacles facing its implementation here. Certainly would take a decent investment to get it up to scratch.

Not to mention the local multiplayer revival is absolutely fantastic and should only be encouraged :)

Ya I don't blame him.. I had assumed it would be a bit of a task.

I must get a few mates together to play this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Reminds me of the bastard child of Gauntlet and Bubble Bobble, no bad thing, great fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Good game, but has ZERO appeal for a single player. I can really see it fun with a few beers and friends.

It's actually well worth playing through the solo campaign - some of the later and unlockable levels are incredibly challenging, and a whole lot of soul destroying fun (my death count on one of them is hilarious)! Lots of potential for crazy drama and stunts. Obviously the game truly comes alive when there's another player, but definitely pleasures to be found in SP too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement