Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the biggest pub in Dublin ?

Options
  • 10-03-2014 6:15pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭

Is cafe en seine the biggest pub in Dublin or is there somewhere bigger ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

I would say café en seine is a bar rather than a pub ;)

but if youre including both types of establishments...what about the hole in the wall?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

liffeylite wrote: »
    I would say café en seine is a bar rather than a pub ;)

but if youre including both types of establishments...what about the hole in the wall?

Never been there is it big ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

No not really

Fitzsimons in temple bar would probably be one of the biggest also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

How do you want to define it?

Biggest area/most potential drinkers at a certain time: Croke Park or maybe Leopardstown Race Course for area.
    Most pints/units per day: Coppers (nightclub)/Fitzsimmons or some other Temple Bar non-nightclub pub??
    Biggest area (enclosed): Fitzsimmons ??

• Advertisement

tricky D wrote: »

Biggest area/most potential drinkers at a certain time: Croke Park or maybe Leopardstown Race Course for area.
    Most pints/units per day: Coppers (nightclub)/Fitzsimmons or some other Temple Bar non-nightclub pub??

Biggest area/space.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

the dawson lounge

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I always thought it was cafe en seine alright.

There are some new pubs around so they might take it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

The Submarine seems bigger than Cafe en Seine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭stanley1

the sub is pretty big, pity it's closed.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭Tim Riggins

cafe en seine imo

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

howl at the moon is probably bigger in terms of floor space I would think.
    café en seine is only massive on the ground floor.
    fitzsimmons would be up there, when you include the roof top terrace also it must be 5 floors.

the old Zanzibar was a monster of a place. Anyone know whats happening with that building nowadays?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

the old Zanzibar was a monster of a place. Anyone know whats happening with that building nowadays?

did mick wallace not buy it as part of his italian quater which is now in recdeivership?

howl at the moon is probably bigger in terms of floor space I would think.
    café en seine is only massive on the ground floor.
    fitzsimmons would be up there, when you include the roof top terrace also it must be 5 floors.

I loved Zanzibar it had a great atmosphere. Walking in there was like steping into another country!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

tricky D wrote: »

I remember about 10 years back asking a Guinness sales rep what pub in Dublin sold the most Guinness. He said it was the Towers in Ballymun, they did 300+ kegs of the stuff every week. I was in the area about 4 years back on a random weekday at around 3pm so took a stroll in. There was about 100 people on the premises in the early afternoon all knocking back pints though some were on cans of Tennants !

The likes of Coppers is busy for 3 or 4 hours a night whereas the likes of somewhere like the Towers can be busy from when they open at 10.30am.

In terms of size I'd say Cafe en Seine, though I've never been in the Submarine. The Old Mill out in Tallaght is also pretty big but I'm doubting it has the sheer size or scale of Cafe en Seine.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I remember about 10 years back asking a Guinness sales rep what pub in Dublin sold the most Guinness. He said it was the Towers in Ballymun, they did 300+ kegs of the stuff every week. I was in the area about 4 years back on a random weekday at around 3pm so took a stroll in. There was about 100 people on the premises in the early afternoon all knocking back pints though some were on cans of Tennants !

The likes of Coppers is busy for 3 or 4 hours a night whereas the likes of somewhere like the Towers can be busy from when they open at 10.30am.

In terms of size I'd say Cafe en Seine, though I've never been in the Submarine. The Old Mill out in Tallaght is also pretty big but I'm doubting it has the sheer size or scale of Cafe en Seine.

Do they let you drink cans in the pub ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭endacl

O'Connell Street. Next Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I remember about 10 years back asking a Guinness sales rep what pub in Dublin sold the most Guinness. He said it was the Towers in Ballymun, they did 300+ kegs of the stuff every week. I was in the area about 4 years back on a random weekday at around 3pm so took a stroll in. There was about 100 people on the premises in the early afternoon all knocking back pints though some were on cans of Tennants ! .

And it still went into receivership?!?

http://www.independent.ie/business/commercial-property/receiver-puts-the-towers-pub-up-for-sale-with-12m-price-tag-29970866.html

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

endacl wrote: »

only 1.2 million for the towers. long gone are the days of a small boozer going for a few million.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Jumboman wrote: »
    Do they let you drink cans in the pub ?

Yep, back then at least though I'd say by now they have Tennants on tap and no longer allow it. But I've seen some pubs still sell cans for consumption on the premises, typically of beers they don't have on tap, like McArdles or Harp.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

A couple of places in town used to do cans of special brew.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,098 ✭✭✭✭beertons

When Guinness did deliveries to the towers, they left the whole trailer, and hooked up the one they left previous. The staff would have it filled with all the empties. Twice a week they had deliveries. Longer trailers back then aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The bar is long, but the premises is not very big as it's narrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,451 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I loved Zanzibar it had a great atmosphere. Walking in there was like steping into another country!

I'm guessing you don't travel much.

Yep, back then at least though I'd say by now they have Tennants on tap and no longer allow it. But I've seen some pubs still sell cans for consumption on the premises, typically of beers they don't have on tap, like McArdles or Harp.

Thats weird. What would of stopped people bringing in their own cans and saying they bought them in the pub ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Thats weird. What would of stopped people bringing in their own cans and saying they bought them in the pub ?

The hiding they would get for it

The hiding they would get for it

Then they could sue the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Doesn't seem like the place you would get many witnesses coming forward to support your case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

A bigger hiding for that

• Advertisement

A bigger hiding for that

Does that pub operate outside the law ?

Advertisement