Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roads moan

Options
  • 10-03-2014 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭

[moan]
    Does anyone know when the Council will finish screwing up the city?

Sullivan's quay is down to one lane now I saw at the weekend.
    Pope's quay has traffic queues at 6.30am due to the lane 'improvements'!
    You cannot park outside Abrakebabra on Patrick's St for collections anymore - parking spaces are now a taxi rank.

The worst is Washington street tho - it's been a building site for about 3 months now, with only 1 lane. The Traffic lights at the junction of Woods street and Washington street have been broken for months. I've seen several near car crashes there.
    The left turning lane at the junction of Washington street and Donovan road has been closed for weeks due to some type of foothpath repairs - which don't seem to be happening. This is forcing all traffic into one lane.

I'm fed up with it.

First world problems maybe, but I'm doing my best to avoid Cork City for anything these days, the City Council don't seem to factor car users into their plans at all - despite car users making up 90% of the commuting population according to the data:
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2013/0215/ireland/plan-to-beef-up-access-to-cityaposs-train-station-222761.html
    "Cork City has relatively low public transport usage — just 8% of commuters in the city and the suburbs using public transport, compared to 21% in Dublin," Mr Kelly said.

"Cork also has a relatively low cycling share with just 2% of commuters using bikes to get to and from school and work.

The bit that makes me laugh is I haven't seen any cyclists using the bike lanes on Washington street!

Once I can change my gym membership out of the city, I won't need to care any more.

[/moan]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Just the way the government works. They are introducing a bike scheme similar to the one up in Dublin towards the end of the summer, so they have probably been allocated funds to make the roads more bike friendly. They can't spend this funding towards anything else, and what they don't spend would have to be returned, so they go a little crazy, spending as much as possible putting in cycle lanes and the like. From what I've seen, the cycle lanes don't have to be designed in such a way to encourage their use, the just need to be built before the funding runs out.

Probably a good idea to have some lanes though. I expect a lot of inexperienced cyclists on the roads when the scheme starts. But even then, as a cyclist myself I've seen some of the stuff they've done and I can guarantee you nobody will use it, e.g. the raised cycle path next to the bus station is completely pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

I'm all for cycle lanes, but I do wish that cyclists would then use them.
    Was heading into the airport, and a cyclist was out on the road ignoring the cycle/pedestrian lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

I'm all for cycle lanes, but I do wish that cyclists would then use them.
    Was heading into the airport, and a cyclist was out on the road ignoring the cycle/pedestrian lane.

Most cycle lanes are too dangerous due to bad design - starting and stopping randomly - full of drains, litter, leaves and other detritus. That, combined with lack of maintenance is why the law was changed, removing the requirement of cyclists to use them.

What they are doing in the city centre is creating a new cycling infrastructure designed for the new City bike rental scheme. The nature of these schemes is to encourage non-cyclists or tourists to try them so they are creating these newer, safer lanes separated from traffic by a kerb as the riders, naturally, won't have helmets etc - not that they should need them.

As long as they can be policed they will be great but from what I saw the other evening most motorists seem to think these lanes are just new free-parking areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Some cycle lanes have brutal surfaces.

Anyone notice the cycle lane heading from the roundabout at the top of the well road heading towards the silver key, it always seems to be full of parked cars whenever I pass.

Balmed Out wrote: »

Anyone notice the cycle lane heading from the roundabout at the top of the well road heading towards the silver key, it always seems to be full of parked cars whenever I pass.

It seems that to be the case that motorists are entitled to park in cycle lanes when they are at mass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

evilivor wrote: »
    It seems that to be the case that motorists are entitled to park in cycle lanes when they are at mass.

Also if you're just popping in to the shop to quickly get something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Motorist can, and do park anywhere when they are at mass.

Corners, bends, double yellow lines..

Must be a special breed. :rolleyes:

Most cycle lanes are too dangerous due to bad design
    That is true, but the lane at the airport doesn't fall into the category and still isn't used.
    What they are doing in the city centre is creating a new cycling infrastructure designed for the new City bike rental scheme.
    I've only used the one in Paris, and it was great.
    But unless they build it correctly, then I'm not sure how much use it'll be in Cork.
    won't have helmets etc - not that they should need them.
    Helmets should become a requirement, even in cycle lanes. I'm only speaking from my own experience as someone who uses a bicycle/car, and seen cyclists try some crazy maneuvers.
    Guess it's difficult to implement with the rental scheme.
    As long as they can be policed they will be great but from what I saw the other evening most motorists seem to think these lanes are just new free-parking areas.
    True. But it's not just a driver issue, I've send cyclists mount pedestrian areas and come dangerous close to knocking down people.
    As for parking, I've come across a number of bicycles tied up at random areas that affect pedestrians on the street (ignoring the bicycle parking area a few meters away).

That is true, but the lane at the airport doesn't fall into the category and still isn't used.

I've only used the one in Paris, and it was great.
    But unless they build it correctly, then I'm not sure how much use it'll be in Cork.

Helmets should become a requirement, even in cycle lanes. I'm only speaking from my own experience as someone who uses a bicycle/car, and seen cyclists try some crazy maneuvers.
    Guess it's difficult to implement with the rental scheme.

True. But it's not just a driver issue, I've send cyclists mount pedestrian areas and come dangerous close to knocking down people.
    As for parking, I've come across a number of bicycles tied up at random areas that affect pedestrians on the street (ignoring the bicycle parking area a few meters away).

Research suggests that the last of helmets in traffic is safer for cyclists as motorists can see them for the vulnerable road users that they are. And it is important for motorists to realise that cyclists are not pedestrians-on- wheels - bikes are part of traffic and have the same rights to use roads as motorists.

As for dick cyclists - I was almost knocked down on Saturday night by a bloke coming up at speed, behind me on the pavement, headphones on, no lights and then he took off down a one-way street - so you'll get no arguement from me on that.

As for dick motorists - just before that I walked up I strolled along South Main street where the traffic was fully blocked up as a one motorist had parked in the new cycle lane - and another on the other side of side the street - and a bus was stuck there with no space to pass - waiting for one or other of the drivers to return and move their car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Its fine putting in cycle lanes where there's space, but taking away various filter lanes around the city to facilitate cycle lanes has caused traffic chaos. The traffic is regularly backing up past Parliament Bridge now that the filter lane at the end of Sullivans Quay has been removed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Contentious Washington St bike lane went ahead against Garda advice
    two cars were involved in separate accidents over the weekend on Washington St after striking the plinth which was installed before Christmas.

The new layout left just one lane for traffic and has resulted in long tailbacks at rush hour.

Gardaí expressed health and safety concerns about late-night revellers having to cross the busy road for a cab.

gardaí are aware of numerous incidents of pedestrians tripping on the concrete structure.

He said they also have concerns about the “squeezing” of vehicular traffic using the main westbound route of the city centre.

Completely daft.

WTF is going on at Cork City Council?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Why do people think that they should be allowed pull in on Patrick St to collect a takeaway!

The less chances people are given for parking illegally the better.

Have they done anything to stop people parking on the plaza on Coal Quay yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    Contentious Washington St bike lane went ahead against Garda advice

Completely daft.

WTF is going on at Cork City Council?

What makes me laugh is the council claim they have no money,yet they can do this work at god knows what cost and its likely it'll need to be undone costing more money,only in Cork would this happen on more than 1 occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,029 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

kcb wrote: »
    Why do people think that they should be allowed pull in on Patrick St to collect a takeaway!

Nope, that's still a free for all free parking on the footpath situation despite being alongside a Garda station.
    They did finally stop that carry on in Emmet place, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

There were legal parking spaces on Patricks St. until recently.
    There was no illegal parking.

Now those spaces are gone, so perhaps now the illegal parking has started?
    (I can't say because I no longer use the service/avoid the city amap)

Because they can in the loading bays, outside of the times indicated.
    Otherwise it's a ticket/clamp.
    I'm all for that, but it's a pity the council don't apply common sense to some of their decisions when it comes to parking.
    I'd regard that plaza, down towards the Garda station, as another waste by the council.
    I never park there as the signs say no parking, but then I see cars parked there in the evenings and at night.

Because they can in the loading bays, outside of the times indicated.
    Otherwise it's a ticket/clamp.

I'm all for that, but it's a pity the council don't apply common sense to some of their decisions when it comes to parking.

I'd regard that plaza, down towards the Garda station, as another waste by the council.
    I never park there as the signs say no parking, but then I see cars parked there in the evenings and at night.

Are punters allowed use Loading Bays, even if it's "just for a minute"?

Parking on plazas like that amaze me three fold: 1. The ignorance of the parker, 2. The ease in which it could be avoided (a few bollards) and 3. how the authorities ignore it, despite it being a major accident waiting to happen (wait until a kid is knocked down)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

MrFrisp wrote: »
    Must be a special breed. :rolleyes: .

Not especially, Rugby followers are arguably the worst offenders, followed by GAA patrons, perhaps. :)

Parking on plazas like that amaze me three fold:

It is designed for parking and vehicle access is allowed for 'trading' purposes. It is also discussed on local radio how regularly Sunday Morning parking attracts parking tickets en-mass.

Are punters allowed use Loading Bays, even if it's "just for a minute"?
    Outside of the loading bays times (marked on the signs) they can park there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Balmed Out wrote: »

You mean where there WAS a perfectly functional roundabout, and there is now a pollution chugging set of idiot lights that leave cars queued randomly when nothing is coming? That comes to 1.1 million euro of your taxes please, puny taxpayer.

Yeah, people park there because there is a busstop nearby. They head into town for the day. They also park there for the ginormous paddy power office. And on the double yellows on churchyard lane around the corner. When i've called the traffic warden, he wanders over to the betting office, lets people know tickets will be issued in ten minutes.

pwurple wrote: »
    When i've called the traffic warden, he wanders over to the betting office, lets people know tickets will be issued in ten minutes.

Maybe you should call the one that patrols the South Mall, apparently he's a whippet and earned the City the greatest percentage of their parking ticket bonanzas last audit.

Red Nissan wrote: »
    It is designed for parking

If this is true that is just incredible in so many ways! Hopefully it is not one of the Corpo's or city planners' kids that is knocked down.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

Does anyone know what the procedure is for the bollards blocking Oliver Plunkett Street? The barrier at the Parnell Place end is raised yet one or more of the barriers blocking access from South mall are left down - often for hours and hours - most Saturday mornings especially. The one on Pembroke Street is rarely ever raised. It's bloody annoying have to keep getting out of the way as yet another car drops someone off outside the GPO and then goes the length of the street and off out Grand Parade.

Does anyone know what the procedure is for the bollards blocking Oliver Plunkett Street?

I don't quite follow what you are on about?

The City Centre is a Pedestrian Zone with special access from 11am to 5pm last I heard.

That means that the general public motorist is obliged not to enter with his motor vehicle during those times.

Special access is allowed all day, a bollards monitor [or maybe more than one] has a zapper as does some other vehicle crews. I don't know the very exact details as I'm no longer on the ground there.

The City Centre is a Pedestrian Zone with special access from 11am to 5pm last I heard.

That means that the general public motorist is obliged not to enter with his motor vehicle during those times.

Special access is allowed all day, a bollards monitor [or maybe more than one] has a zapper as does some other vehicle crews. I don't know the very exact details as I'm no longer on the ground there.

More that I've often walked along Pembroke Street after 11am yet the barrier is still down. There was a period last summer where I don't think it was raised at all as I was in and out at all hours yet never saw it in the up position.

More that I've often walked along Pembroke Street after 11am yet the barrier is still down. There was a period last summer where I don't think it was raised at all as I was in and out at all hours yet never saw it in the up position.

They have had problems with a few of the barriers actually doing what they were designed to do, a few cars have been speared by them, I've noticed the South Mall Pembrooke Street seems constantly up now?

It's certainly down between 9am and 11am (ish) on Saturday mornings as I'm usually in and out of the city centre via Pembroke Street at that time.

This is correct in theory. What happens in the actuailité is that other authorised vehicles have access - An Post, security vans, Gardai - and that's fine.

What also happens is that others get in by more unorthodox means. There is a car I see almost every day that drives the wrong way up Marlboro Street and then parks on OPS and other cars drive up the side streets further down to join OPS.

The best I ever saw was a guy one lunchtime, about two years ago, driving a Toyota Corolla the wrong-way down the pedestrianized street. I saw an older gentleman remonstrate with him and the driver aid if he didn’t F…off he’d "break his F…ing legs”.

I have seen drivers passing Gardai on the street who seem blissfully ignorant of any wrongdoing.

• Advertisement

There's that red Range Rover as well that's often parked on the pedestrianised part of Cook Street as well. Presumably belonging to the owner of one of the premises there.

Advertisement