Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roads moan

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

kaki wrote: »
    Ouch!

I never realised just how bad the potholes are in Cork until I started cycling to work/college 2 weeks ago.

A lot of the street surfaces are in bits and seem to be getting little or no maintenance anymore.

What really shocked me this morning is the state of the N25 Carrigtowhil bypass.

Inbound, its the surface is an absolute mess. The whole thing needs to be resurfaced.

The inbound carriageway of the South Link is in bits too.

I think we are going to be seeing really bad roads again as the budgets clearly aren't there to carry out basic maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

I think we are going to be seeing really bad roads again as the budgets clearly aren't there to carry out basic maintenance.[/QUOTE]

You are so right.....but there are sufficient budgets there for councillors!

I think we are going to be seeing really bad roads again as the budgets clearly aren't there to carry out basic maintenance.

You are so right.....but there are sufficient budgets there for councillors![/quote]

They're only paid €16,724. Councillors' pay certainly isn't the biggest chunk of the budget. Nationally, the government is getting rid of 677 councillors too.

They don't have enough money coming in is the main problem as local authorities were funded by development levies and commercial rates primarily.

The LPT might make a difference, assuming the government doesn't just absorb it into the national exchequer!

Also the N-roads are funded by the National Roads Authority, not local government. So the N25 and South Link aren't Cork City or County Council budget issues.
    The street surfaces certainly are though!

What shocked me more was seeing the City Council filling potholes by getting three guys to put in hot tarmac and chippings from the back of a van in traffic! They were letting cars drive over it 2 min later.

They need to patch the roads properly with a machine. That kind of approach is a bit of a joke really.

It just washes away.

Again this could be lack of funds ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

It's so frustrating - my road tax is more than my insurance. I do realise I have said this before, but am so feckin' fed up driving around looking out for potholes, due to the condition of the roads. Cyclists - enjoy- your patch seems to be well maintained in comparison to the craters enjoyed by us eejits in cars.

HA! Best joke I've heard so far today! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Cyclists - enjoy- your patch seems to be well maintained in comparison to the craters enjoyed by us eejits in cars.

Have just sent email to cork city council again...........not expecting anything.........at all
    First time I've heard that!

Try fixmyarea.com. Discovered it last night and I'll wear their inbox out I think.

• Advertisement

You need to email the councillors themselves. There's a local election coming up!
    The council staff are state employes, the councillors have to get votes to keep their jobs.

Full list:

http://www.corkcity.ie/yourcouncil/electedmembers/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I too have been in that pothole due to a similar incident - destroyed the rim. It's so frustrating - my road tax is more than my insurance. I do realise I have said this before, but am so feckin' fed up driving around looking out for potholes, due to the condition of the roads. Cyclists - enjoy- your patch seems to be well maintained in comparison to the craters enjoyed by us eejits in cars.

Have just sent email to cork city council again...........not expecting anything.........at all

I just realised I didn't say, but that flat was on my bike, not a car/motorbike. :P

A lot cheaper to repair, presuming I didn't damage the rim. The pothole is bloody awful though. It's surrounding a manhole so you've got multiple holes.

What's the number/e-mail for complaining about damaged roads? That pothole is a disgrace.

Also the road out from the Marina to Blackrock is pathetic. It's been patched so many times that it's more patches the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Lekrub

Glad I spotted this thread. I want to add to the rant with my rant!
    I went into a crater on Lower Glanmire Road last week and blew the tire straight away. Tried to swerve but would of hit oncoming cars. Luckily didnt damage my alloy. I had to change my tire monday morning in the rain! Raging:mad:.

...So 85euro later I rang for details about getting my money back. I know it wont happen but thought worth a shot. I was told to email insurance@corkcoco.ie. So I did with all the pics & invoice etc. Also emailed a councilor in my area (South Douglas Rd) and where it happened - Sean Martin & Ted Tynan.

No response from Martin. Tynan mailed back saying about cuts etc and if the workers party where in power things would be different. Then county council mail back saying its the cities problem not theirs so contact the city council. Didn't include a address to send it too though.

So all round the council and both councilors where zero help. gotta track down the city insurance details now. I'll let ye know if their is any luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Lekrub wrote: »
    Glad I spotted this thread. I want to add to the rant with my rant!
    I went into a crater on Lower Glanmire Road last week and blew the tire straight away. Tried to swerve but would of hit oncoming cars. Luckily didnt damage my alloy. I had to change my tire monday morning in the rain! Raging:mad:.

...So 85euro later I rang for details about getting my money back. I know it wont happen but thought worth a shot. I was told to email insurance@corkcoco.ie. So I did with all the pics & invoice etc. Also emailed a councilor in my area (South Douglas Rd) and where it happened - Sean Martin & Ted Tynan.

No response from Martin. Tynan mailed back saying about cuts etc and if the workers party where in power things would be different. Then county council mail back saying its the cities problem not theirs so contact the city council. Didn't include a address to send it too though.

So all round the council and both councilors where zero help. gotta track down the city insurance details now. I'll let ye know if their is any luck.

Platitudes about the people's party don't really mean much when you see the concurrent thread about the gross waste in Fitzgerald's park and the link I posted in that thread showing the Local Authorities in Cork are being run Sochi style.
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland...ut-263738.html

A report into one of the largest local authorities in the country has revealed significant concern with how it is managing its finances.

The Local Government Audit Service said there were weaknesses across a range of areas within Cork City Council.

According to the management letter, 73% of purchase orders in 2012, accounting for €45m of spending, were non-compliant with proper procedures. Most purchase orders were approved on the same day as the transaction or after it.

This was despite the May 2011 work by the internal auditors on this bad habit.

More than two years later, in August 2013, 64% of all purchase orders were approved on the same day or after a sale deal was made.

Likewise, Mr Daly’s latest criticisms on a lack of response to internal auditors had echoes of his unit’s commentary from a year earlier.

In late 2012, the audit on Cork City referred to a 2010 commitment by senior managers to review the status of recommendations made in audit reports published between 2007 and 2010. In 2012, the review had still not been completed.

Nobody is denying that there is a funding shortage, but whatever funds are available are evidently not being allocated prudently.

I'm surprised that this issue hasn't featured more prominently in the media, as everyone tends to complain about the condition of the roads in their own county/country, but I've even heard non-locals remarking on the shocking conditions of the roads in Cork.

Anyway, I hope you will be reimbursed.
    I think perhaps if more people were prepared to take action like this, then the problem mightn't be as bad.

Unfortunately tho, as SpaceTime said, we're all starting to realise/accept that dangerous roads are here to stay.

Advertisement