Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stage 2 - Band 2 (601-3100)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Kimiko2012

WilcoOut wrote: »
    They will prob take more than 600 since they had so many dropouts and no shows in the top 600

you guys will be getting a call this year no doubt at all in my mind. Maybe even late summer

I really hope so wilco :) thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

WilcoOut wrote: »
    People bowed out at stage 3

lots of people sat the tests online while abroad it would seem. When they got the call for stage 3, they didnt travel home.

Obviously the more intelligent ones have left the country it seems !

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭octigen

Rothmans wrote: »
    Really? Has there been a lot of no shows? It would obviously be beneficial for those who have gotten to interview I.e. less competition. But how you could attend stage 3, and then bow out at interview stage has me perplexed

I asked one of the supervisors at stage 3 about attendance and she said there were only 1 or 2 absent on any of the days. I was one of the last to do stage 3 so if you were to take it at her word they 570+ showed up from 600.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ShodenMcClane

octigen wrote: »
    I asked one of the supervisors at stage 3 about attendance and she said there were only 1 or 2 absent on any of the days. I was one of the last to do stage 3 so if you were to take it at her word they 570+ showed up from 600.

I can assure you there was more than one or two missing on my stage 3 day. I'd say closer to 10...

• Registered Users Posts: 33 PaulMCKM

How are people feeling about they're chances of being called to stage 3 now that approx 250 passed stage 4 and still the irish stream to be given they're results?

Wasn't expecting out of the 600 for 250 to get through considering the massive cuts at stage 1&2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

PaulMCKM wrote: »
    How are people feeling about they're chances of being called to stage 3 now that approx 250 passed stage 4 and still the irish stream to be given they're results?

Wasn't expecting out of the 600 for 250 to get through considering the massive cuts at stage 1&2.

If 250 passed the interview as you say then that was still a sizeable cut, about 60% got eliminated. Band 2 (601 - 3000) won't be called until 2015 it would seem if they stick to the two batches of 105 for this year. Even then I wouldn't expect the whole band to be called. Logic would dictate they just call the next 600 i.e. 601 - 1,200.

Considering the force needs a supplementary budget of up to €70m this year and that numbers have fallen below the 13,000 threshold which Callinan called an absolute bottom line figure it seems as though the government doesn't give a shite. The GRA already stated a couple of months ago that there was no money to train new recruits and Shatter had quoted 250-300 recruits, not 210 as has been stated by PAS. It would seem as though they are making it up as they go along. There was certainly no financial planning put in place. That much is obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

i think they will call more than 600 due to the many dropouts, failures and no shows

maybe 800

but i reckon they will be calling end of this year, early next year. be ready!

redout wrote: »
    If 250 passed the interview as you say then that was still a sizeable cut, about 60% got eliminated. Band 2 (601 - 3000) won't be called until 2015 it would seem if they stick to the two batches of 105 for this year. Even then I wouldn't expect the whole band to be called. Logic would dictate they just call the next 600 i.e. 601 - 1,200.

Considering the force needs a supplementary budget of up to €70m this year and that numbers have fallen below the 13,000 threshold which Callinan called an absolute bottom line figure it seems as though the government doesn't give a shite. The GRA already stated a couple of months ago that there was no money to train new recruits and Shatter had quoted 250-300 recruits, not 210 as has been stated by PAS. It would seem as though they are making it up as they go along. There was certainly no financial planning put in place. That much is obvious.

I was expecting a higher cut going off the basis of 6 people for every 1 position based on previous posts by others. I'm in the next 600 so I'm happy to have a 40% chance of succeeding given my previous outlook on it. Just a shame I'll have to wait longer to be called to stage 3 if they decide on the need for more recruits. By that I mean the lack of funds and current number of garda standing at 12,950 only being 50 less than Callinan's bottom line (I expected a lower number) and Callinan is no longer so does his bottom line still stand?

The whole process has been poorly run from my perspective. PAS have made a balls of it especially when they told all in stage 3 they weren't being called to the next stage and the lack of information in the subsequent stages (numbers of those that passed and when to expect results).

Now that a new minister is in place I hope that maybe she can give more definitive answers on numbers of recruits and the training especially as the july start date is next month. I have approached a TD to request if they will ask the Minister to shine some light on the plan and he said he will find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭galalala123

I think the next batch will be called soon as PAS are not doing anything now and there will probably be an intake jan/february so they may as well get you started in the next few months. Fingers crossed for ye!

I think the next batch will be called soon as PAS are not doing anything now and there will probably be an intake jan/february so they may as well get you started in the next few months. Fingers crossed for ye!

Oh I do hope so galalala ... im a ball of depression since I got last results at stage 2...im in the 1800s. Like many others its all ive ever wanted. The longer time goes the less hope I have im truly gutted :(

• Advertisement

Lads there is no money to train the first batch of recruits. Why in the name of god would they be pressing ahead with the next batch when they can't even fund basic Garda operations? The GRA made that clear a couple of months ago and it has only been further compounded by last weeks revelation that AGS needs a supplementary budget of €70m for this year alone. They already have the numbers for this year (250 passed interview) and they need 210. No doubt a small amount will fall because of BR, medical and PCT. There will actually be a few more as the Irish stream has yet to hear back. Odds are they just stick to the same procedure and take on recruits in July and October of 2015. If that is the case then the next batch will probably get called forward for stage 3 in around March 2015 considering that is when the current batch were called for stage 3 this year. With a bit of luck hopefully somebody will actually bother to factor in the cost of training new recruits into next years Garda budget come October.

Lads there is no money to train the first batch of recruits. Why in the name of god would they be pressing ahead with the next batch when they can't even fund basic Garda operations? The GRA made that clear a couple of months ago and it has only been further compounded by last weeks revelation that AGS needs a supplementary budget of €70m for this year alone. They already have the numbers for this year (250 passed interview) and they need 210. No doubt a small amount will fall because of BR, medical and PCT. There will actually be a few more as the Irish stream has yet to hear back. Odds are they just stick to the same procedure and take on recruits in July and October of 2015. If that is the case then the next batch will probably get called forward for stage 3 in around March 2015 considering that is when the current batch were called for stage 3 this year. With a bit of luck hopefully somebody will actually bother to factor in the cost of training new recruits into next years Garda budget come October.

this wouldn't really make sense in my opinion because they would have to have a steady flow of instrucors and gardai up there and that means some would be idle for a few months. Theyll take on around march i reckon when first batch of recruits are finished. They'll find money somewhere they always do. Its dropped to below the 13,000 mark which they dont want.

this wouldn't really make sense in my opinion because they would have to have a steady flow of instrucors and gardai up there and that means some would be idle for a few months. Theyll take on around march i reckon when first batch of recruits are finished. They'll find money somewhere they always do. Its dropped to below the 13,000 mark which they dont want.

I want to remain optimistic about my chances of becoming a member but its hard when no information is being released and there is nothing to go on but the media (who are generally negative) and hear say on here.

Your right about it not making sense to open templemore for a short period. I'd like to believe they will keep it going but with constant talk off cut backs who knows what will happen.

With a new minister and commissioner who knows what they'll do or agree on. The 13000 figure came from Callinan and it has dropped below that yet they were offering a career break (closing date to apply was last week) to gardai to cut the wage bill!! Kind of contradicts not wanting the number of gardai to drop.

I don't agree. It doesn't seem that far fetched. If the second batch of 105 go to Templemore in October as has been mentioned by Pas then they are there for 34 weeks. That would bring them to about the start of June 2015. If they follow the same procedure as this year then the next batch will start a few weeks later in July.

I don't agree. It doesn't seem that far fetched. If the second batch of 105 go to Templemore in October as has been mentioned by Pas then they are there for 34 weeks. That would bring them to about the start of June 2015. If they follow the same procedure as this year then the next batch will start a few weeks later in July.

What about when the first batch finishes? That leaves an 18 week gap from when they finish till another batch starts, based on your theory.

What about when the first batch finishes? That leaves an 18 week gap from when they finish till another batch starts, based on your theory.

That's my point. Theyre not going to have instructors doimg nothing at all for a few months. Im in the top 250 so it doesnt matter to me but i'd really start brushing up on the aptitude side of things because a lot of people didnt verify there results and you might not get much notice to the next stage so you need to be crisp.

By the time they finish the second batch of 105 are already there so it is not as if the place is sitting empty.

By the time they finish the second batch of 105 are already there so it is not as if the place is sitting empty.

Yeah it won't be empty but your reducing the number of recruits in half for 18 weeks and i understand there will be an overlap in some training both batches but the extra personnel needed to train the first batch will be idle for this period.

Again its just our speculation and the only ones that know are the Minister and some in AGS. Well I hope they know and are not making it up as they go along!!

Yeah it won't be empty but your reducing the number of recruits in half for 18 weeks and i understand there will be an overlap in some training both batches but the extra personnel needed to train the first batch will be idle for this period.

Again its just our speculation and the only ones that know are the Minister and some in AGS. Well I hope they know and are not making it up as they go along!!

Who knows? For an organisation that is already struggling with numbers I am sure that the higher ups wouldn't mind a few of the experienced personnel pulled from duty to be involved with training back on the job so to speak. Time will tell I suppose.

• Advertisement

Woohoo just got an email for stage 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭OscarWhiskey

Same! Wonder when those who are successful in this group will be starting in Templemore? Christmas?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭jwt22

Same! Didn't expect to hear anything until nearer the end of the year. Here goes the nervous waiting again!

Same! Wonder when those who are successful in this group will be starting in Templemore? Christmas?

Based on the first group taking 4 months to get to stage 5, xmas is looking likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭octigen

Many get called? Were ye in the 601 - 3000 bracket?? Good to see it progressing. 240 or so appear to have got to stage 5 so this should fill the July/Oct class. He should be looking at Dec/Jan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

Delighted they have taken next group

so glad its all behind me

easy peasy for yas! ;)

• Advertisement

octigen wrote: »
    Many get called? Were ye in the 601 - 3000 bracket?? Good to see it progressing. 240 or so appear to have got to stage 5 so this should fill the July/Oct class. He should be looking at Dec/Jan.

They are calling up to 1192. Bit of an odd number.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Copaholic

at least its moving

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭StevieF3

I have my tests on the 22nd of july, just wondering does anyone think ill be able to change the date, my sister is getting married abroad on the 21st and I know ill be able to come home and all, its just the lack of being able to properly study and being tired and all. Who would ye recommend I email?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭IgniteFitness

StevieF3 wrote: »
    I have my tests on the 22nd of july, just wondering does anyone think ill be able to change the date, my sister is getting married abroad on the 21st and I know ill be able to come home and all, its just the lack of being able to properly study and being tired and all. Who would ye recommend I email?

I am looking to change my date aswell because I also will be away and my date is the 16th, I have heard they dont but gonna email and see. Im also going to see is it possibly to swop days with somebody if changing the day doesnt work. Would the 16th if that was allowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭StevieF3

Im supposed to be flying out on the 16th but ya I could always change the date of my flight if that was possible. Would the 22nd suit you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭IgniteFitness

PM'd

• Registered Users Posts: 37 RonBurgundy73

This might be a long shot but anyway. Is there anyone out there who'd be in a position to swap testing dates with me, I have my test scheduled for Wednesday 23rd at 12.45. I'm looking for a change for anytime before Saturday 19th or anytime after Saturday 26th. I don't know if there are even tests scheduled past those dates.

I have a situation where it'll be difficult and expensive for me to be there for my date as it stands but I will if i have to be. I was an '08 panel member and I won't be missing this test one way or the other. But if anyone could facillitate a swap I'd be extremely grateful. PM me for more info if required or whatever. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Is it possible to just swap? Did HR confirm it like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

I'm July the 11th. Had done my best to put this to the back of my mind, am sick with nerves now and massively depressed at the thought of looking at all those shapes again! Not holding out much hope, I'm feeling rather disheartened about the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 RonBurgundy73

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Is it possible to just swap? Did HR confirm it like?

It said in the familiarisation material that a change of date may be possible in exceptional circumstances. And they said to me that if a date becomes available for a change that they'll consider it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭JustLen

I have mine on the 16th and I have a holiday booked for that week.
    I would be over the moon if we could swap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

Great to see them calling the next group forward. Best of luck in stage 3 lads, keep practicing the aptitude tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kev-bt

Great to see them calling the next group forward. Best of luck in stage 3 lads, keep practicing the aptitude tests.

When ye did stage 3 did they give ye a link to practise aptitude tests further? Didn't get chance to look through the info fully yet but couldn't see a link to practice the aptitude tests like stage stage 1 and stage 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ann.lewis

kev-bt wrote: »
    When ye did stage 3 did they give ye a link to practise aptitude tests further? Didn't get chance to look through the info fully yet but couldn't see a link to practice the aptitude tests like stage stage 1 and stage 2.

I don't think they did kev..
    I went back and used the link from stage 2 prep althou...the verbal practise exam has changed now on that site. It's much different and not what we were originally doing. Its not true falsr or cannot say. Try it anyway thou and see

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭almeraguy

kev-bt wrote: »

I don't remember if there were practice links for stage 3. The familiarisation material is gone now.
    Google for some free online tests. I took as many of the free ones that I could as practice. I found it helped me.

• Advertisement

Up tomorrow. Very nervous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

Kablamo! wrote: »

Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Are many of you travelling big distances for stage 3? ie coming from cork or Galway or further afield

Kablamo! wrote: »

Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭OscarWhiskey

How are people practicing report writing? Or is everyone planning on winging it like myself...

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Consy90

Best of luck to all going. I'm up their next wedsday. Travelling for east Galway. Nerves are shot...again

How are people practicing report writing? Or is everyone planning on winging it like myself...

Atm I'm just focusing on verbal reasoning and the inductive, haven't thought a huge amount about report writing

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mickaleen

There is no need to worry lads......50% of the test is stuff you have aced already...The other 50% is the report writing and scenario based questions....I had never done report writing before I sat that test and I found it fine. Just get all the information you can on the sheet in a structured (ish) manner and you will be ok....I find the best way to do the report is getting all the information on a rough sheet in bullet points as you see/hear it coming...then when the clip is over build your report around the info you have written down...best of luck to everyone....

The waiting game starts here, for me anyway. Got talking to a few boards lurkers sitting the tests this morning, hope ye all got back to work alright!

• Advertisement

How did you lads find it today?

Advertisement