Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Directly connected

Options
  • 10-03-2014 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭

Hi

eFibre cabs (VDSL) are installed adjacent to the regular ADSL so anyone connected to these ADSL cabs can then avail of fibre broadband (assume live service).

Even though an area may have VDSL cabs installed, there may be houses that are 'directly connected' to the local exchange - does this mean you literally are wired back to the exchange bypassing the traditional ADSL cabs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭douglasman

legrand wrote: »
    Hi

eFibre cabs (VDSL) are installed adjacent to the regular ADSL so anyone connected to these ADSL cabs can then avail of fibre broadband (assume live service).

Even though an area may have VDSL cabs installed, there may be houses that are 'directly connected' to the local exchange - does this mean you literally are wired back to the exchange bypassing the traditional ADSL cabs?
    Firstly, to clarify, eFibre (VDSL2) cabinets are installed next to PCP (Primary Connection Point) cabinets.  The PCP cabinets are little more than network patch panels and have nothing to do with ADSL or ADSL2+.  Almost all ADSL and ADSL2+ equipment is based in the physical exchanges. 

There are indeed houses that are directly fed (mine is one).  That means that your line goes from your house all the way back to the exchange with no cabinet of any kind in between.  This configuration supports ADSL and ADSL2+ (as the equipment is in the exchange anyway) but because Eircom have not installed any VDSL2 equipment in the physical exchanges yet, direct fed lines cannot currently get eFibre.  The official line on this is a solution might be in place by end of year or early next year (i.e. they will finally get around to installing VDSL2 equipment in the exchanges).

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭legrand

thanks for the clarifty around the nomenclature and the answer to what was going to be my next question. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭legrand

Hi again Dougasman

would you know if Eircom are in position to advise if one is directly fed or use a PCB cab?

If the answer is PCB cab then the next step to establish when eircom plan to install a VDSL2 cab next to my 'local' PCB - or could it be that even though you may connect via PCB that you might (in the end) use VDSL2 equipment in the exchange?  This sounds right if the PCB cab is nothing more that a patched intermediary point - right?

The downside of the latter setup is that distance will impact bandwidth speeds available  - so instaed of ~70megs to my nearby cab - I might get 20-30meg to the exchange ~600m away.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭douglasman

legrand wrote: »
    Hi again Dougasman

would you know if Eircom are in position to advise if one is directly fed or use a PCB cab?

If the answer is PCB cab then the next step to establish when eircom plan to install a VDSL2 cab next to my 'local' PCB - or could it be that even though you may connect via PCB that you might (in the end) use VDSL2 equipment in the exchange?  This sounds right if the PCB cab is nothing more that a patched intermediary point - right?

The downside of the latter setup is that distance will impact bandwidth speeds available  - so instaed of ~70megs to my nearby cab - I might get 20-30meg to the exchange ~600m away.
    Eircom have a habit of not knowing straight off whether someone is directly fed or not.  Last year on this forum I had been told that my line was connected to a cabinet.  It wasn't and never was.  I knew this, but there is no telling some people. 

In the same way as distance from the exchange was important with ADSL / ADSL2+ broadband, distance from your VDSL2 cabinet is what is important for eFibre, so yes, if you are far away from your local PCP cabinet / VDSL2 cab then you will not be getting anything near 70 Mb.  Yea, there are various diagrams around that give estimates, so 600 metres is around what you say, but it depends on line quality and interference from other lines too so it can vary.  Vectoring will help with interference from lines, that is being introduced this year and it should push the maximum eFibre offering up to 100 Mb, but distance from cabinet still applies.

Advertisement