Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antivirus software on a tablet

Options
  • 10-03-2014 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

I need to put antivirus software on a tablet how do I go about it? Do I have to download it from the providers website? I always use the disc to put it on my laptop.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

missy2011 wrote: »
    I need to put antivirus software on a tablet how do I go about it? Do I have to download it from the providers website? I always use the disc to put it on my laptop.

If it's a windows tablet download avast free edition from their website. If it's an android/ios tablet you don't need any antivirus software.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 missy2011

How do I know which it is? Not very computer techno !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

I use 360 Security, an anti virus app. When I got the tablet I googled and it came up with the best rating. I'm using android on an Asus . Its fine, no problems 5 months in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

You sure what you have is a tablet? I ask as you seem unsure what you have. What is the make/model?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 missy2011

I know its a tablet just unsure how to know if its a windows tablet or android/ios tablet . Its a GoTab.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

I know its a tablet just unsure how to know if its a windows tablet or android/ios tablet . Its a GoTab.

Ok, it's android. I've used an app called 'lookout' in the past and it worked fine as an anti-virus tool. You can get it from the Google Play Store.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

as long as you stick tot he playstore you wont get a virus... highly highly unlikely youll get one, there is a slim chance, but really itll slow down the tablet terribly running an anti virus

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

as long as you stick tot he playstore you wont get a virus... highly highly unlikely youll get one, there is a slim chance, but really itll slow down the tablet terribly running an anti virus
    Sadly, that is most definitely not true. You need to be pretty careful with the Google Play Store, though the dodgy apps won't generally last long on there, there are actually a good number of them and a large chunk of them will copy logos, have similar app and company names etc. to legitimate apps.

Mobile devices are being targeted precisely because so few people install any security applications. It's well worth having one installed, they are designed to be lightweight resource wise and often have other features too like privacy protection, rights management, loss protection, remote wipe, etc. It's a little old now, but here's a comparison of various mobile security options.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jousting with chairs

If it's an Android device you can download AGV mobile free from playstore.
    I've been using it for 8-9 months and find good.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Blowfish wrote: »
    Sadly, that is most definitely not true. You need to be pretty careful with the Google Play Store, though the dodgy apps won't generally last long on there, there are actually a good number of them and a large chunk of them will copy logos, have similar app and company names etc. to legitimate apps.

Mobile devices are being targeted precisely because so few people install any security applications. It's well worth having one installed, they are designed to be lightweight resource wise and often have other features too like privacy protection, rights management, loss protection, remote wipe, etc. It's a little old now, but here's a comparison of various mobile security options.
    Can't Google not nuke dodgy apps on every device if they were installed through the play store though? I think this feature was brought out a good while back. Avast do an Android anti virus, not sure if they have similar for iOS. Although Apple have a similar arrangement where dodgy apps can be remotely removed unless you have jailbreaked the device and installed unofficial apps.

Nick

• Advertisement
Advertisement