Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mount Juliet

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Dbu

callaway92 wrote: »
    Playing Mount Juliet this Sat for the first time, so I'm looking forward to it (as long as the weather is nice).

Any good tips for it?

One of my favorite tracks. Keep the ball in the fairway and you will score.
    another tip is put away the prov1 for the par 3 3rd

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭valoren

Fond memories of the Amex WGC there in 2002. Missed the 04 event.

A fond memory is watching Mickelson practicing 6 footers with a putting alignment mirror as Monty lumbered past en route to the range.
    He stopped and stared at Phil with a perplexed look on his face for about 10 seconds. Then gave a little shake of his head and continued on his way with Mickelson completely oblivious. :pac:

Played it in 2003. My first taste of a championship course. They had the pins in what can only be described as Sunday positions.
    Played crap but loved the course and it's conditioning.
    The par 3 3rd hole was indeed a highlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,610 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Dbu wrote: »
    One of my favorite tracks. Keep the ball in the fairway and you will score.
    another tip is put away the prov1 for the par 3 3rd

Nice one, the 3 wood will be out a good bit so. It's a work crowd playing so we'll be off the society tees so I'm assuming the holes distances will be fine. I'd be a long enough hitter as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Dbu

Nice one, the 3 wood will be out a good bit so. It's a work crowd playing so we'll be off the society tees so I'm assuming the holes distances will be fine. I'd be a long enough hitter as it is.

You will probably be playing off the 'green' tees. Makes the course shortish
    If you get an opportunity to play off the whites do.
    We asked the starter to play of the whites a month ago and there was no problem.
    Greens were super. My favorite holes are 3,10 12,13. Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

My favourite parkland in the country. Society tees are shortish and its very playable which is why I enjoy it so much.

Favourite holes are 3, 4, 8, 10, 13, and 18 is a beast of a finish. Enjoy it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

You an NT man? I'm down playing there myself this Saturday playing our work Ryder Cup

• Registered Users Posts: 14,610 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

You an NT man? I'm down playing there myself this Saturday playing our work Ryder Cup

Ya, that's the one. I'm in the Limerick office. Hopefully the weather is decent!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Ya, that's the one. I'm in the Limerick office. Hopefully the weather is decent!

I'll be out for Team Dublin, playing in the last group with our 3 lady golfers

Forecast doesn't look bad at the moment, we are a couple of days away still though.

I played it off the Society tees maybe 3 years ago. It was very playable with some cracking holes & testing par 3s. You can negotiate the place & score well with a sensible approach.

Pretty sure I didn't even have a driver in the bag when I played there last, and knocked it round hitting 3w & Hybrids off the tees with no problems at all.

Given the mix of golfers, there is no way they'll play off the whites I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭swededmonkey

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but has anyone played here lately? Heading down in a few weeks with my work society. What shape is the course in; Any tips or advice for working my round?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Bottle

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but has anyone played here lately? Heading down in a few weeks with my work society. What shape is the course in; Any tips or advice for working my round?

Played there August Bank Holiday Monday, it was in reasonable condition but seemed a bit rough around the edges possibly due to the weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

GolfNut33 wrote: »
    Personally, I think the IO should be on a links every year.

Agreed, we have so many great links, why not utilise them? You see parkland courses every other week of the year.

In saying that I do love Mount Juliet

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Personally, I think the IO should be on a links every year.
    Whats wrong with a mixture of both, we have some great inland tracks, all our great courses are not around the edge there is more to Ireland than the coast, some brilliant small towns and villages in that area to explore, Graiguenamanagh, Thomastown and Inistoige lovely little pubs and restaurants:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Whats wrong with a mixture of both, we have some great inland tracks, all our great courses are not around the edge there is more to Ireland than the coast, some brilliant small towns and villages in that area to explore, Graiguenamanagh, Thomastown and Inistoige lovely little pubs and restaurants:D

How's the infrastructure?

I just think that every country has superb parkland courses but not every country has links like we do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Trekker09

Hoboo wrote: »
    How's the infrastructure?

Excellent. No more than a few KMs away from several junctions of the M9, as well as several entrances to the venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I just think that every country has superb parkland courses but not every country has links like we do.

Yeah but do you think the players care about that? Most prefer parkland over links.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Yeah but do you think the players care about that? Most prefer parkland over links.

In your opinion.

I would argue that having it on a Links would attract more of the top golfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

In your opinion.

I would argue that having it on a Links would attract more of the top golfers.

Id disagree tbh, scheduling and weather are far bigger factors for the players who dont need the money. Some of the bigger players seem to have given the tournament a wide berth for precisely those two reasons. When you realise that McIlroy had to beg players like Garcia, Els, Rose and Fowler to tee it up in a tournament on possibly the best course in the world in 2015 at RCD, you realise just how little the course, links or parkland, has to do with it.
    I remember Keegan Bradley played the event in 2012 in Portrush of his own volition and promptly got lashed on for 4 days. Unsurprisingly, he hasnt been back. All that combined with the fact that, in an ambassadorial role, Rory himself has played so poorly (and looked so miserable in doing so) every year bar the K Club, its no surprise we havent been able to coax a Tiger, Phil or a DJ to these shores, nor are we likely to do so any time soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Trampas

Players are only interested in world ranking points. Money means nothing. They don’t want to play in wind and rain. Wind is usually a certainty on a links.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Players very much care about money. Crazy talk to be claiming anything else. They're greedy humans like the rest of us and very few humans will ever think they've enough money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Mount Juliet just unofficially announced as next years Irish Open venue? The OH heard it on the radio I dont know a thing myself.

I'd love it. Great venue from a spectators point of view. Lovely facilities and vast space to accommodate crowds.. And also in striking distance for me as opposed to having to cross the entire country like it was the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Mount Juliet just unofficially announced as next years Irish Open venue? The OH heard it on the radio I dont know a thing myself.

I'd love it. Great venue from a spectators point of view. Lovely facilities and vast space to accommodate crowds.. And also in striking distance for me as opposed to having to cross the entire country like it was the last few years.

Think it was officially confirmed last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Trekker09

Great stuff, and literally on my doorstep

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

I remember some of the Carrolls/Murphys Irish Opens (carrying the scoreboard!) at MJ so fondly.
    It's also held two WGCs where the crowds were huge and a certain TW was in his pomp. Think they had 30-35,000 all four days. Wont get anything like that his time. Wont have any infrastructure issues.

Its a super course to watch golf the way they set it up.

Finger crossed for some decent weather, it being in May, if there is a harsh winter, could be tricky to get it right.

Advertisement