Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7 week old crying constantly.

Options
  • 10-03-2014 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭

Since he was born he's never really settled. Took him to osteopath changed his food from aptamil to aptamil comfort also changed his bottles. Eventually doctor diagnosed him with silent reflux which we though that's good at least we have something to treat him for . He cries nearly constantly when not asleep and sometimes seems in pain. Doc prescribed him losec and that seemed to settle him. On the word of our pharmacist who is also a doc and has young kids we decided to switch him back to regular aptamil as the comfort is quite thick and as he's not constipated or collig we thought why not. Now this evening since his first bottle he has hardly stopped crying and is crying really hard. Should we just go back to the comfort or continue with other. He has only had two bottles of the ordinary but I'm not sure all the chopping and changing will further upset him.not looking for medical diagnosis just opinions on changing food or if anyone has done it without upsetting their little one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭NBO

We had the same with our first. It does get better, just keep remembering that. I was breastfeeding so can't help with the formulas but have you thought about getting a sling. I wish someone had told me earlier about the benefits of a sling for babies with colic and reflux.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Poor baby and poor you. That sounds very hard to deal with.

If baby was ok on the comfort milk, why not just leave him on it for now, until you see if there is anything else wrong, like colic or lactose intolerance.

I know it is thick, but just use a bigger teat on the bottle.

I wouldn't worry about a sleep routine or anything else until you get this sorted, let him sleep on your chest or wherever works because you and baby will not function properly with constant crying and no sleep.

If baby is actually constantly crying I would be going back to gp or a different gp until you find something that helps.
    Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭dekbhoy

Poor baby and poor you. That sounds very hard to deal with.

If baby was ok on the comfort milk, why not just leave him on it for now, until you see if there is anything else wrong, like colic or lactose intolerance.

I know it is thick, but just use a bigger teat on the bottle.

I wouldn't worry about a sleep routine or anything else until you get this sorted, let him sleep on your chest or wherever works because you and baby will not function properly with constant crying and no sleep.

If baby is actually constantly crying I would be going back to gp or a different gp until you find something that helps.
    Good luck.

Yes have been to see 2 GPs and the pharmacist is also a GP. To be honest when I haven't slept I bloody well listen to any advice instead of trusting my own instinct. He's asleep now so hoping he stays asleep for couple of hours. My heart bleeds for the little fella that's why I don't want to be upsetting him again if it is the food that's causing it. Thank you for advice. My next thing is to switch him to soya based formula and see if that changes his behaviour but I will see midwife or doc before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

I feel your pain OP. Just about coming through the other side of it now. Our little lady has silent reflux and colic. She's 17 weeks. At the moment we are using Zantac and Aptamil Anti Reflux formula. Have you considered this? When we brought her to our gp at 2 weeks she basically said we just had to grin and bear it and get to 16 weeks. She reckoned most babies grew out of reflux by then. That was poor consolation to us with a baby who screamed whenever she was lying down and was uncomfortable after every feed. She did give us the basic advice about raising the head of the cot and getting a sling. I gave up breastfeeding at about 6 weeks and started giving her gaviscon with ordinary Aptamil. We saw a slight improvement. The real improvement came when we changed to Aptamil Anti Reflux. Unfortunately this only helped a bit and we ended up getting referred to a paediatrician who prescribed Zantac at 12 weeks. This made a big difference. She also said to stick with the formula and not change back to the ordinary stuff. Would you consider trying the anti reflux? It is thick so you would need the faster flow nipples though. Best of luck with it all. Hope ye get some relief soon. It's horrible seeing them in pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

If changing formula again - just so I can pass on what I learnt - my daughter has cows milk protein allergy and is on Aptamil pepti . It changed her life. From suffering to average!! We avoided soy due to they controversial similarities it has to hormones, and we avoided goats milk as the only brand nannygoat is no longer recommended as infant formula - I think this is just a licensing issue as it is no longer produced within the eu and so fails to meet standards. The pepti is the same as neonate and is a hydrolysed version of milk - that is to say it the protein is mostly broken down so the babies gut doesn't need to do that.
    This is not lactose free tho as far as I know?
    It is awful to see your baby uncomfortable - my first cried regularly but was as a result of colic I think as peaked in evenings etc. But my second with the allergy - was just constant! Keep pushing for support and help - obviously expect him to cry a fair but after a feed as that can be normal just even as a result of wind etc but the constant crying is not right. Your so right - gut instinct is usually right - but at same time you would feel worse if you didn't try things if there was a chance it might improve things! If the milk was ok I'd stick with it, and then wait for doctors advise. I'd say your better revert to the comfort if it was fine until you discuss things with gp and then can decide a plan?
    Hope he improves soon

• Advertisement

After having him on losec and seeing some improvement after 4 days, we had his 6 week check up where the midwife suggested giving him zantac as she thought it was better, we soon realised it was a mistake ,he hated it and as it was 3 times per day showed no improvement and was a nightmare, as he constantly spitted it out so reverted back. I know babies cry but after having our first little girl and her been colligy this is different. We will keep trying our best and hopefully we can all get some proper sleep In Order To Retain Our SANITY. Zzzż I wish!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

Change to a formula like nutramigen which is lactose free. A lot if kids with silent reflux have lactose and cows milk protein intolerances.

Also make sure he isn't being laid down flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭lmullen

Can't offer any advice re formula but I can highly recommend a sling. My little one settles so well in the sling. Being upright helps with the reflux and she's close to me but I can still be doing bits and pieces around the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Go back to gp. Baby may have cows milk intolerance as caramay says above.

We got a prescription for a lactose-free formula before ours was born just in case... Gp recommended it as a backup, because our first had some food allergies.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

do not switch to a soya based formula they are really not recommended for babies. Ask the gp or pharmacist about Nutramigen or similar instead.
    #2 here was very allergic to milk and we did not notice until I stopped nursing her and Nutramigen was a lifesaver for all of us.

• Advertisement

We always keep him at a gradient in his cot and his pram. I will root out sling tomorrow and try him in that. I will give him until Thursday on regular aptamil then I will try aptamil anti reflux. He's is 7 weeks tomorrow unfortunately I'm counting them down until 12. Thank you all for input

Op I would try the nutramigen over another Aptamil product which hasn't worked so far. I believe there is a high correlation between silent reflux and lactose issues so given his constant levels of pain it's fair to assume it's the same in your case too.

I did the same as you initially, after pharmacist telling me and it didn't work. When he ended up in hospital the paediatrician said we should have stayed on the comfort food with the losec (but turn moved us straight on to nutramigen).

• Registered Users Posts: 38 share bear

We've had our little man on goats milk formula since he was about 6 weeks old, as he was not a happy bunny for on the cows milk formula and unfortunately I couldn't feed him myself. We have never looked back since. He loves the nanny care formula and is a strong healthy little man now 8 months on.

Just FYI goats milk also contains lactose but obviously not cows milk protein

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Leahrowan

Hi there, I can sympathise with you, my son is now 7 months old and is a very happy, smiley boy with a good sleep routine. However this wasn't always the way. He suffered terribly with colic when he was young and I tried changing his formula etc and spent time with my GP, who basically said I had to just ride it out until he grew bigger and then he'd grow out if it! This is easy to say but so hard to do when your little one is suffering so much. I wasn't satisfied and started talking to other mums to see if they could offer any words of wisdom. Everyone had something to say and most of it was what I had already tried however one did tell me all about a book called 'Calming Colic' by osteopath Christian Bates. I googled it and found a brilliant website and after reading a sample chapter I bought the book and I can say it changed our lives. I learnt that foods I ate could make the colic worse/better and it helped me understand that my sons's speedy delivery was a contributing factor in his colic. I made changes to my diet and implemented a number of the books other recommendations and it made such a difference to us both. We also visited a cranial osteopath who helped my son physically with the colic, together the changes I made to my diet etc and the gentle techniques of the osteopath gave me back my baby. I would recommend visiting the website www.calmingcolic.com for some expert advice. I would also advocate sling wearing, as others have said it keeps baby upright, making it more comfortable for them and also means you can do bits and pieces as necessary. My son still loves being in his sling and I use it for naps or just to calm him if he's grotty due to teeth etc. Hope your little one finds comfort soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

Our little fella is 2 now but boy did he suffer from reflux. He would usually throw up, not spew, every night no matter what we tried. My wife made sure he was still fed though and he never suffered weight loss, he was a fine size. The doctors kept fobbing us off and saying he only has this or that until he was finally diagnosed with the reflux. After trying a few different things (My wife would know the names), it was finally the Gaviscon for babies which we put in his bottles that settled him and he started keeping down his bottles and was generally a far happier baby.

We also have discovered as he is getting older that certain foods set him off, so we have a good diet for him at this stage where he doesn't suffer the reflux anymore thank God!

Advertisement