Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting and Childcare in Mullingar

Options
  • 10-03-2014 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm just looking to find ideas on what is the quickest commute methods from Mullingar to Dublin for working. So far I can't find anything apart form the train. The Bus Eireann service is shockingly slow, with no express service.

Also, are there any creches that open early/late hours? How do families with both parents commuting to Dublin deal with childcare, as it seems creches do not open at a time that suits commuters?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galait

Drive to Kinnegad , Express from there with Bus Eireann leave around 8 getting to Heuston @ 8.50 and o'connell bridge @ 9

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

We use Grovelands in Market point (Clicky) - they open at 8.15 if that's any good to you ...
    We drive to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 AlisonN

pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭techdiver

galait wrote: »
    Drive to Kinnegad , Express from there with Bus Eireann leave around 8 getting to Heuston @ 8.50 and o'connell bridge @ 9

Hey,

Do you know if there is much parking available in Kinnegad and is it free?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Dr Sunshine

Kearns bus from Kinnegad a much cheaper alternative than Bus Eireann. Parking available at Supervalu and on some of the approach roads to the town.
    Sorry don't know much about the crèche opening times in Mullingar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭room_149

techdiver wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm just looking to find ideas on what is the quickest commute methods from Mullingar to Dublin for working. So far I can't find anything apart form the train. The Bus Eireann service is shockingly slow, with no express service.

Also, are there any creches that open early/late hours? How do families with both parents commuting to Dublin deal with childcare, as it seems creches do not open at a time that suits commuters?

Thanks in advance for any answers.
    No kids yet but I used to drive to the city from East Mullingar area with the missus each morning and would hit the M50 within 40 minutes traveling on the M4 at speed limit. I could get to Glasnevin in under 15 minutes from Liffey Valley most mornings after that.
    I'm lead to believe that the bus service from Mullingar to Dublin is now an absolute disgrace- I've been told it now takes over 2hrs now to get to O'Connell Bridge (less than 49 miles!!!) due to some half arsed route alteration by Bus Eireann since 2013. The bus travels via Longwood & Ballivor rather than the old route of Kinnegad, Enfield, Kilcock, Maynooth & the city, a journey of 70-80mins.
    I'd be inclined to give some of the local TDS both barrels over this in the forthcoming European Elections. I know of two people who quit their jobs due to the length of time spent commuting up and down (4 hrs a day up from 2hrs prior to the the route change)
    How are people supposed to sell Mullingar & the East side of the county as a commuter area with that kind of nonsense?

Ditto the train service- 45 minutes to Maynoth and 30-35 mins to Connelly after that? Can't be right. I'm told the only way this will improve is if they reopen the Athlone Mullingar line allowing a faster service from Galway.

Advertisement