Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contact on beveled door

Options
  • 10-03-2014 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi all,having difficulty with a contact on a beveled upvc door,basically the magnet is not making sufficient contact with the tamper switch because of the angle of the bevel which in turn will not allow me to set the alarm,front door open zone appears when I try and set the alarm.is there any products on the market or easy fixes for my problem?thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Any hope of a picture?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Purecuntish

Sorry here you go.because the magnet is at the top of the contact on the right and the magnet in the switch is towards the back they don't seem to be making contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

The two parts shouldn't touch. Mount the magnet on the door as near to the edge as possible without it hitting the frame if opened. It will work just fine.

The other thing I am wondering about is the orientation of the sensor head within that inertia.

Did you refit that unit yourself?

The two parts shouldn't touch. Mount the magnet on the door as near to the edge as possible without it hitting the frame if opened. It will work just fine.

Thanks for the post,i realise the parts shouldnt touch but even with the parts as close as possible it still dosent work.

• Advertisement

kub wrote: »
    The other thing I am wondering about is the orientation of the sensor head within that inertia.

Did you refit that unit yourself?

Yes i had to refit the switch and contact when we replaced the front door,do you suspect its the wrong switch??

Yes i had to refit the switch and contact when we replaced the front door,do you suspect its the wrong switch??

OK have a look at the sensor head (the little barrel shaped unit), there is an arrow on the side of it, make sure that is looking at the sky.

Secondly there is a little pcb with cable terminals on it within the sensor, on the opposite side of where the cables enter it, there is the associated reed switch for your magnet.
    Make sure that this switch is on the same side as the magnet.

If having checked all that and you are still in trouble you might please post a picture of the internals of the sensor.

OK have a look at the sensor head (the little barrel shaped unit), there is an arrow on the side of it, make sure that is looking at the sky.

Secondly there is a little pcb with cable terminals on it within the sensor, on the opposite side of where the cables enter it, there is the associated reed switch for your magnet.
    Make sure that this switch is on the same side as the magnet.

If having checked all that and you are still in trouble you might please post a picture of the internals of the sensor.

Thanks for that,i have checked the barrel and the arrow is pointing towards the ceiling and have checked that the switch is on the right side which it is.I was contemplating putting a piece of wood or plastic behind the switch to build it out so the switch is flush with the bevel on the door,this way the two magnets should be that bit closer,do you think this might help??

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭ShanE90

Top photo correct installation see sensor arrow pointing up and reed is closest to magnet. Second and third photos are incorrect as the reed isn't beside the magnet and the sensor arrow not pointing up.

DFDAE8A2-A301-4585-A88B-BB49E2AAB9B8_zps82z30hlm.jpg

8361D8A9-1376-47E5-A5FA-4B4D25BF5EDA_zpsqjvcujki.jpg

860E3223-176F-45FD-8661-7C51E2A3033C_zpspwlm9ubp.jpg

Thanks for that,Yes the top photo is how mine is exactly set up but my theory is my magnets are too far apart??

• Advertisement

Thanks for that,Yes the top photo is how mine is exactly set up but my theory is my magnets are too far apart??

Are you sure there is a reed switch in the little slot in the green pcb on the sensor? The reason I ask is the inertia sensors are identical to contact just missing the reed. Do you have a multimeter to check the reed switch?

ShanE90 wrote: »
    Are you sure there is a reed switch in the little slot in the green pcb on the sensor? The reason I ask is the inertia sensors are identical to contact just missing the reed. Do you have a multimeter to check the reed switch?

Ye I'm 100%,it's exactly the same set up as you have posted,haven't used a multimeter on the sensor yet but I have removed the contact and aligned it with the sensor and the alarm sets normally.

Sorry prob should of mentioned that all had been working perfectly up until recently.

Ye I'm 100%,it's exactly the same set up as you have posted,haven't used a multimeter on the sensor yet but I have removed the contact and aligned it with the sensor and the alarm sets normally.

Sorry prob should of mentioned that all had been working perfectly up until recently.

Ok so your saying that if you bring the sensor closer to the magnet it sets ok? If this is the case and you haven't changed anything lately then I suspect a faulty sensor/magnet. I've got sensors on windows with the magnet an inch away and they work fine. Alternatively you could build out the sensor nearer to the mag for a while and see how that goes.

Ok so your saying that if you bring the sensor closer to the magnet it sets ok? If this is the case and you haven't changed anything lately then I suspect a faulty sensor/magnet. I've got sensors on windows with the magnet an inch away and they work fine. Alternatively you could build out the sensor nearer to the mag for a while and see how that goes.

Ye it sets perfectly when i have the sensor and magnet side by side which makes me think that its not a faulty sensor or magnet but the distance that they are apart??

Ye it sets perfectly when i have the sensor and magnet side by side which makes me think that its not a faulty sensor or magnet but the distance that they are apart??

Must be the distance so, it is strange that it was working and they usually work when a bit apart!

Must be the distance so, it is strange that it was working and they usually work when a bit apart!

Very strange,i have sensors and magnets on windows that are a much greater distance apart but work perfectly.

Have you tried putting the magnet the other way around or by any chance was it put next to a bigger magnet while the door was being replaced?

I came across a situation once where there was a magnet within a door frame and it was upsetting the magnetic field between the magnet and reed switch.

Have you tried putting the magnet the other way around or by any chance was it put next to a bigger magnet while the door was being replaced?

I came across a situation once where there was a magnet within a door frame and it was upsetting the magnetic field between the magnet and reed switch.

Thanks for all the help,found a short on one of the cores which was hid in the reveal above the door and managed to re connect it,so far so good the alarm is setting as normal.

Thanks for all the help,found a short on one of the cores which was hid in the reveal above the door and managed to re connect it,so far so good the alarm is setting as normal.

Well done.

Advertisement