Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home grown food advice

• 11-03-2014 12:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭

Hello, i be grateful if anyone could clue me in on this, Im a total beginner and would need to be told step by step on this.

I want to know what I can grow out my back garden in this irish weather ehat kind of vedge could I grow I really want to get into this but haven a clue where to start. We have plenty of empty plant pots but no grass. So what could I do with it ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Start with a list of what you would like to grow to eat. Your question is very broad. You can grow most things you see in the supermarket. Although tender things will do best under cover/ in a greenhouse eg. Tomatoes, peppers etc.
    You can grow in pots or directly in the ground. In the ground is probably easier as you don't need to give the plants as much attention with watering and feeding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭danish pasterys

redser7 wrote: »
    Start with a list of what you would like to grow to eat. Your question is very broad. You can grow most things you see in the supermarket. Although tender things will do best under cover/ in a greenhouse eg. Tomatoes, peppers etc.
    You can grow in pots or directly in the ground. In the ground is probably easier as you don't need to give the plants as much attention with watering and feeding.

Iv no grass its mostly decking, alot of pots though, may even build something like a coffin in the long run.. But I wouldnt be able to do the green house thing, so id be happy with say carrots, onions, garlic, celery, kale, cucumber, id be happy with any of them but what type of soil maintenance is involved ? I think id enjoy it as a hobby, is there any fruits thay can be grown also ?

Advertisement