Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taekwondo Blackbelt

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Are you taking TKD in order to defend yourself against people who wish to hit you really hard i the face repeatedly?

Hahaha random and unprovoked attacks no doubt

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭JonKelleher

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Are you taking TKD in order to defend yourself against people who wish to hit you really hard in the face repeatedly?

No, I'm not.

Peetrik wrote: »
    Hahaha random and unprovoked attacks no doubt

There it is, weigh in behind someone else. It's safer that way, isn't it?

There it is, weigh in behind someone else. It's safer that way, isn't it?

Hah, safer? Why would I have to worry about safety? You don't even have a black belt, if you did I'd have to mind my manners.

Peetrik wrote: »
    Hah, safer? Why would I have to worry about safety? You don't even have a black belt, if you did I'd have to mind my manners.

Yeah Patrick, that's right, good man yourself. And tell me, do you have a lot of time to read fantasy novels and punch tyres when you're unemployed?

• Advertisement

Yeah Patrick, that's right, good man yourself. And tell me, do you have a lot of time to read fantasy novels and punch tyres when you're unemployed?

Haha I'm touched, you went to the trouble of trying to research me. I guess I hit a nerve.

That's great Patrick, sorry to disturb you from World War Z and plotting your survival in a post-apocolyptic world. You enjoy your escapism pal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

How the fcuk old is everyone on this forum?

Pack it in and help the guy with his answer which in my mind is a very straight forward question.

No more childish BS please

yomchi wrote: »
    How the fcuk old is everyone on this forum?

Pack it in and help the guy with his answer which in my mind is a very straight forward question.

No more childish BS please

Appreciate that. I literally just want to know more about grading.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭cletus

How often do you plan on training

• Advertisement

cletus wrote: »
    How often do you plan on training

Twice a week!

Twice a week!

depending on the club, 4-5 years. You'll probably grade at every grading for the first 3 or 4, and then the gradings will start to spread out, assuming that the club your are joining have regular (3ish monthly) gradings. You may find as you progress through the belts you begin to train more regularly.

Btw, no need for attitude, trying to help

cletus wrote: »
    depending on the club, 4-5 years. You'll probably grade at every grading for the first 3 or 4, and then the gradings will start to spread out, assuming that the club your are joining have regular (3ish monthly) gradings. You may find as you progress through the belts you begin to train more regularly.

Btw, no need for attitude, trying to help

No attitude pal, just answering your question. Really appreciate the feedback :)

No attitude pal, just answering your question. Really appreciate the feedback :)

Sorry, I just view exclamation marks as the written version of shouting

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I don't do TKD but from conversations with senior TKD students and with TKD instructors I have come to the conclusion that the grading curve is similar enough to my own martial art (shotokan karate).

If you train steadily twice a week you should reach the intermediate levels in around 2-3 years. At that point progress will slow unless you add another session a week or put in significant effort outside class your progress could stall before black belt.

If you could reach black belt without significant effort outside your sessions a week it could easily take another 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

I don't do TKD but from conversations with senior TKD students and with TKD instructors I have come to the conclusion that the grading curve is similar enough to my own martial art (shotokan karate).

If you train steadily twice a week you should reach the intermediate levels in around 2-3 years. At that point progress will slow unless you add another session a week or put in significant effort outside class your progress could stall before black belt.

If you could reach black belt without significant effort outside your sessions a week it could easily take another 3 years.

Why would you give a person with rude and argumentitive posts helpfull feedback?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

shutup wrote: »
    Why would you give a person with rude and argumentitive posts helpfull feedback?

The responses he has received on this forum has been rude and argumentitive so I decided to raise the tone slightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

shutup wrote: »

Why would you repost something after I delete it for being abusive? (Editing out the swear word doesn't really make it less abusive, btw.)

It's not really any of your business why someone would choose to respond to someone else. Especially when that person is making a helpful response. You might as well take the weekend off from posting here.

Personally I feel its a bit patronising to have to say this, but I think a lot of people don't seem to get this:
    • Helpful responses are considered a good thing.
    • Discouraging people from making helpful responses is considered a bad thing.

Also, JohnKeller, you don't need to be so argumentative with the responses you get. You're not doing yourself any favours.

Also, JohnKeller, you don't need to be so argumentative with the responses you get. You're not doing yourself any favours.

Thanks for that Doug. Really appreciate your advice on how to reply to people. Such profound insight must be the reason you're a moderator.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that Doug. Really appreciate your advice on how to reply to people. Such profound insight must be the reason you're a moderator.

OK, fine so. You can take the weekend off from posting as well.

Anyway, I think the original question has been answered as well as it's ever going to get answered.

I'm going to lock this up now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement