Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping my Alaskan Malamute cool?

• 11-03-2014 3:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

I recently got an Alaskan Malamute puppy, but my house seems to be too warm for him. I've considered buying an air conditioner or a fan for him to sit at, has anyone ever done this? Has anyone else got any suggestions to keep him cool? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭tinyter28

Hey,

Congrats on the puppy, Ive a sib that I've had since 10 weeks. Ours stays and sleeps indoors and we've a tiled kitchen so he just flakes out on the tiles to cool down. Even then sometimes he'll just go outside and lie out on the patio.

The fur on them works as a great insulator for cold but also for heat, but if you want to look into it you can get cooling pads online but Ive never used them. If you keep him indoors his coat will adjust to the warmer temperature (when he sheds the under coat wont be as thick when it grows back.. not really noticeable )

Plenty of cool water usually does the trick for my boy, also some ice cubes to chew on (not sure if other dogs like them).

btw.. Some dogs wont like fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

What makes you think it is too warm for him? how is he acting? I have had the fire on in the sitting room pretty. much every evening and most nights Cooper is in here with me. He has a vet bed rug that he normally its on, but sometimes he will get off it and lay on the floor and very occasionally will flake in the hallway instead. At night he sleeps in the hallway on his vetbed.

During the 'heat wave' last year was the only time I really noticed Cooper affected by the heat. Then, during the day he'd find the coolest part of the house and not move. That house also had tiles which would be a bit cooler than the flooring of the house I am in now (laminate flooring).

I previously had a mal in Australia, so they can cope with very hot weather, although I would take my girl down to the beach in the evenings for a walk in the water on really hot days to cool her down.

Make sure your puppy has access to fresh water at all times.

Advertisement