Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soccer Republic: so how was it for you?

• 11-03-2014 4:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭

Poor effort
    Ok
    Good
    Other

Soccer Republic:So how was it for you? 35 votes

Poor
    0% 0 votes
    Good
    37% 13 votes
    50/50
    28% 10 votes
    I'll post something-
    34% 12 votes

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Fell asleep waiting for it to come on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

There should be a Shamrock Rovers fan option.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

I went to bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Thought it was OK. The pointless overlong gadget analysis of rovers and Derry game was just MOTD balls though.

At least the non LOI stuff was mostly at the end.

AFAIK, the FAI stipulation that RTE do the show hss expired so everybody gurning and making hip I went to bed instead stances will probably just drive down viewership figures even worse than MNS and get it pulled altogether.

anncoates wrote: »

AFAIK, the FAI stipulation that RTE do the show hss expired so everybody gurning and making hip I went to bed instead stances will probably just drive down viewership figures even worse than MNS and get it pulled altogether.
    If it gets pulled maybe clubs would be able to produce their own packages and we'd get to see highlights less than 72 hours after the game has finished.
    Shels TV highlights were far better than anything RTE showed of us after we were promoted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I too was in bed, will watch it on the RTE player when I have time

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I'll watch it on RTE player later. I'm not sure who was on it last night, but of the 9 pundits listed to appear regularly, I find Ray Houghton and Ronnie Whelan completely insufferable to listen to. I don't hold much hope for it, but I'll give it a try. Most weeks, I'll just end up watching the goals from the Limerick away games and that'll be it, depending on who the pundits are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I've set to record the season and will probably watch it one of the evenings this week. I will generally hope to be tucked up in bed well before that start time on a Monday evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

5 and a half thousand people at the Cross Friday night, great athmopshere, current league champions playing, a good game of ball, and they give it about 50 seconds if you include the managers interviews. Shocking stuff.

Did they play music over the highlights like MNS? Always annoyed me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Catching up on it now.

About 5 minutes of LOI highlights in total. Over analysing the Rovers/Derry game to death despite nothing really happening in it, a Rovers best XI type segment, Rovers doing a really cringey "free kick king"/crossbar challenge hybrid with Jimmy Magee commentating over it and an interview with Keith Fahey and Martin O' Neill is what I've gotten through so far.

Pretty meh overall.

EDIT: Finished it now. Not as hugely catastrophic as I thought it would be but can certainly improve.

Could do with new reporters for games though. Really dislike Tony O' Donoghue and that other fella.

Maybe a 'fanzone' thing from real supporters when goals/incidents go in to use as soundbites to break up the monotonous and rehearsed reporting might be worth a look.

The archived footage was a nice touch I'll admit.

I really don't think 5 or 6 minutes of LOI highlights is good enough though. Even if they added a few roaming reporters with cameras outside grounds interviewing fans about expectations for that game/season ahead and then getting into highlights. Make it that bit more personal.

That_Guy wrote: »

I really don't think 5 or 6 minutes of LOI highlights is good enough though. Even if they added a few roaming reporters with cameras outside grounds interviewing fans about expectations for that game/season ahead and then getting into highlights. Make it that bit more personal.

Unfortunately what we want (more highlights, less Ireland legends wheeled on to mumble punditry, more first division, more fan stuff) is niche stuff in popular viewing terms, like the league itself.

It looks like the programme has tanked in the prime time slot and for it to survive, you're probably going to have to get used to the LOI stuff being minimized and MOTD'd with Ireland/Premier League shite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Unfortunately what we want (more highlights, less Ireland legends wheeled on to mumble punditry, more first division, more fan stuff) is niche stuff in popular viewing terms, like the league itself.

It looks like the programme has tanked in the prime time slot and for it to survive, you're probably going to have to get used to the LOI stuff being minimized and MOTD'd with Ireland/Premier League shite.
    For it to survive it needs to appeal to the people who might watch it. Thats league of Ireland fans.

'The Irish Football Fan' has no interest in watching this show and never will no matter how hard they try to appeal to them.

The only hope they have of attracting viewers is to give us what we all want. Its simple stuff. Just show the football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,813 ✭✭✭lertsnim

LOI stuff being minimized and MOTD'd with Ireland/Premier League shite.

What Premier League stuff do they do? Thought this would be a Premier League free zone seeing as RTÉ don't have the rights to it anymore.

AgileMyth wrote: »
    For it to survive it needs to appeal to the people who might watch it. Thats league of Ireland fans.

It would appear that not enough LOI fans watched it (or simply exist) to save it from tanking in a prime time spot, unfortunately.

When it comes to a LOI show in a country like Ireland, It's not what we as LOI fans want unfortunately especially as the national broadcaster will apparently be no longer forced to show it.

Only good thing that might come from the show going tits up is, as said, that the clubs can start filming and releasing footage of their games without hindrance.
    lertsnim wrote: »
    What Premier League stuff do they do?

Apologies, I meant the little CL segment they did at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭podge018

... which only focused on the premier league teams in the competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Part of the CL rights is a magazine show weekly.

Think RTE used to have one early saturday mornings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

CHealy wrote: »
    5 and a half thousand people at the Cross Friday night, great athmopshere, current league champions playing, a good game of ball, and they give it about 50 seconds if you include the managers interviews. Shocking stuff.

Well how else are they going to make time for that free kick competition or that interview with that random actor about English football.

Watched this afternoon. Turned off before it was over although Jimmy Magees all time 11 looks like a good segment.

Watched it there (Well until the end of the highlights) Ran through the games very quickly, with the exception of the Rovers/Derry game, no surprise there though. As a highlights programme it's very weak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I miss Paul Osam in the halloween mask :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

v3ttel wrote: »
    I'll watch it on RTE player later. I'm not sure who was on it last night, but of the 9 pundits listed to appear regularly, I find Ray Houghton and Ronnie Whelan completely insufferable to listen to. I don't hold much hope for it, but I'll give it a try. Most weeks, I'll just end up watching the goals from the Limerick away games and that'll be it, depending on who the pundits are.

I like Whelan's Dubscouse hybrid however I reach for the mute anytime that Donegal Glaswegian Gobsh*te is on telly, he's a drivel machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭kksaints

Not very good this week. Limited highlights, didn't talk about half the matches, awful Robbie Fowler interview that added nothing to the show, and the special guest thing doesn't really work. Just have an interview with them instead of having them trying to talk about something in which they have a limited knowledge of. Also having them talk about the EPL is strange considering they have no rights whatsoever to it. SKY almost never talk about stuff that they don't have the rights to so why should soccer republic.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

kksaints wrote: »
    Not very good this week. Limited highlights, didn't talk about half the matches, awful Robbie Fowler interview that added nothing to the show, and the special guest thing doesn't really work. Just have an interview with them instead of having them trying to talk about something in which they have a limited knowledge of. Also having them talk about the EPL is strange considering they have no rights whatsoever to it. SKY almost never talk about stuff that they don't have the rights to so why should soccer republic.

Because it's going to draw in the viewers for them of course. :D

Taking a bit of flak on twitter

Apparently it's not an Irish football programme though
    Soccer Republic ‏@SoccRepublic 13h

@bitoredfan it's not classed as an "Irish football show" never has been

Haven't seen this weeks edition yet myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

Not impressed with the new MNS (Mid-Night Soccer) so far, all of shoehorned in EPL stuff isnt going to appeal to LOI or EPL fans who have far better produced programs at more reasonable times to choose from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

They seem very confused about who they are targeting. All they're doing is alienating the people who might actually watch it. I'm out now after that one. Not going to bother again.

Fair play to whoever thought of interviewing Fowler. They obviously sat around thinking of ideas of how to talk about Liverpool on the show.

Really hope its cancelled soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

This is possibly worse than The Voice. Possibly.

Advertisement