Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blatant Begging?

Options
  • 11-03-2014 4:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭

Hello fellow Boardsies,

I have seen this pop up on Facebook and now on the Irish Echo website.

http://www.irishecho.com.au/2014/03/11/kildare-teen-needs-donations-to-play-for-australia/30883

I read this 3 times just to make sure I wasn't missing something. Am I the only one who thinks this is down there with some of the worst journalism and beggary that has been given legs by the Irish echo?

$5k to go to a Futsal tournament?

The family are having an absolute laugh .. what about people who are in genuine hardship but have no one to reach out to over here .. they don't go begging on social media or websites.

Am I going mad or is this a pathetic attempt to fund a glorified holiday?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,337 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It's pretty standard for amateur athletes to receive funding to compete internationally. At top level stuff, like the olympic/national teams, get state funding but a lot of other guys, especially niche sports, are left to fend for themselves.

Most non-commercial sports clubs and teams survive on funding and volunteering. Raffle & lotto tickets, family days etc. This obvious feels less personal as its not an individual, but its the same thing really. Most of the time this money comes from within the sport, other athletes, and their families who support it.
    In this case this last has reached out to the Irish community. I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with that. We tend to be a pretty supportive as a group. So I've no issue at all with him asking, but I also won't be donating.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Its just Typical Irish echo, the staff only write the damn thing because they are too dumb to do something useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 observed

Have to agree with Mellor. I don't see any issue with looking for support for your team. It is no different to collecting money at bag packing/bunnings BBQ days. Being involved in a club here it is hard to find funds to support teams so it is no surprise that he has reached out. All I say is fair play to him.

Advertisement