Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

About canceling the account ?

Options
  • 11-03-2014 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Dear BOI representative,[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif] [/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]My name is Ondrej and I have been with BOI for few months now. I am from Dublin and I am in Ireland on internship. And in a month I am going back home.[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]I just have a few questions about closing my current account, before I go to my branch.[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]Is there something special I need to have in order to close account ? (as in the proof of address needed for opening etc.)[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]How long does it take to cancel the account and to transfer the funds ?[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]Can all the funds be transferred to a certain account during the cancelling ? Or should I transfer part of it in advance ?[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]Will BOI deduct fees/charges automatically during the cancelling ?[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]That would be about it.[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]Thank you.[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]Regards,[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]Ondrej[/font]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Billy

Hi Ondrej, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to Boards.ie

To close an account you can call into any Bank of Ireland branch – you will need Photo identification (Passport, Driving Licence, Garda ID) and your account details and express your request to close this account.
    You can also send a letter to your branch (an email/fax will not be accepted) – you can post this to your nearest branch or drop it in the branch mailbox. The branch will deduct any fees or charges before closing the account. Should you have a balance left in your account (over €5) please advise the branch what to do with the funds: If you require the balance to be issued to you by bank draft, please state who the draft should be made payable to. If you require the balance to be transferred to a replacement account, we will require details of the beneficiary account i.e. sort code, account number, account name, IBAN & BIC.

Please note, if you are currently signed up for eStatements, please ensure to switch back to paper statements before having the account closed. This will ensure you are able to receive your closing statement. Once an account has closed it is automatically removed from online access.

Depending on the account type, it can take several days for the account to be closed. Contact details for your branch can be found here

I hope this helps. 

Billy

Advertisement