Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What says you bryangiggsy

Options
  • 11-03-2014 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭

Previous threads of this series are:
    Kurt Godel
    littlemsfickle
    BTH
    Green&Red
    Catzweazle
    Dory
    Oryx
    RQ
    Fazz
    Bambaata
    pgibbo
    AKW
    shotgunmcos
    peter kern
    zico10
    joey100
    Couerdelion
    Tunney
    miller82

Over to bryangiggsy

* What sports did you do growing up?
    * why did you take up Tri ?
    * How much do you think you have spent on Tri ?
    * Top three expenses in terms of return on investment ?
    * Aims for the year ?
    * 3 concise pointers/nuggets of advise you would pass on to a newbee breaking in to the sport
    * If you could change anything about Tri, what would it be ?
    * If TI was a dictatorship and you were that dictator for a year, what would you do differently ?
    * have you got on the yoga boat yet ?
    * you have been in tri a few years now, what changes have you noticed over the years
    * Does coaching appeal to you ? if so, is this driven by the feeling you you could have previously done a little bit more to help shave 37 seconds off someones IM time ?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

What's your favourite flavour of crisps?
    What's your favourite chocolate?
    Why are you still bitter that I simply let you know that John was beating you as you ran towards the finish line in Kilkee? :)
    Are you looking forward to your old man category events this year?
    Do you think you can be more competitive in old man category?
    Any ambition to do another Ironman?
    Why does Miller82 blame you for the fact he spent too long in T2 putting gel in his hair to make sure he looked pretty for the cameras in Austria?
    Have you ever done a standalone marathon?
    Have you done many run races or cycling races or did you go striaght into Tri?
    What do you feel is your best discipline? and worst?
    What exactly do you work at and what direction are you going now? I know you were talking about changing direction...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Work does not permit much free time but i promise i wil lreply to all by the night

* What sports did you do growing up?
    I swam from 10-14, played water polo,played soccer,gaa, pitch & putt. golf…..until 18 then done sweet fa until I started playing gaelic again at 24…jacked that in 31,32 ..went thru a phase of lifting in the gym for about a year..then signed up for a 10k..then the focus irl tri in 2007
    Had signed up for a sprint tri in cape cod when I was 25 but pulled out as gaelic season was starting again. I turn 40 this year.
    * why did you take up Tri ? fancied it

* How much do you think you have spent on Tri ?

An absolute fortune…50,60,70k?
    * Top three expenses in terms of return on investment ?
    TT bike over road bike (free mins), Garmin 310xt & a good coach.
    * Aims for the year ?
    Aims for the yr….is to go faster in swim ,bike and run.
    * 3 concise pointers/nuggets of advise you would pass on to a newbee breaking in to the sport
    1. Avoid junk miles,your easy training should be easy,your moderate training should be moderate…..and you hard training very hard.
    2. Get a good swim coach.
    3. Buy a Garmin hrm
    Rome was not built in a day or a couple of years.
    * If you could change anything about Tri, what would it be ?
    The swim longer and the bike/run shorter J
    * If TI was a dictatorship and you were that dictator for a year, what would you do differently ?
    More in and out of competition testing for age group athletes to prove the naysayers wrong. I read somewhere recently that 20% of age groupers are doping…..imo that’s a load of bolli* and would like to prove it.

A mental health course on how to retire from the sport.

* have you got on the yoga boat yet ? not yet but intend to. I hear there are some good looking yoga instructors :)

* you have been in tri a few years now, what changes have you noticed over the years
    More people have been bitten by the bug,,,
    Some people only last a couple of years, Some people last longer
    Competition seems to be getting stronger
    * Does coaching appeal to you ? if so, is this driven by the feeling you you could have previously done a little bit more to help shave 37 seconds off someones IM time

Maybe some day. LOL...37 secs.....abs not u nailed the pacing & nutrition plan! could have been 40 mins if u ignored them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Hey B,
    Whats your favourite meal - courses and plonk or beers?
    5 dinner guests you'd like to have around for dinner.
    Based on the lent thread, you obviously lack self discipline :pac: What are your strengths?
    Any reason you didn't list a PM above?
    How was your first structured training camp?
    Would you recommend one?
    You're obviously a driven and motivated person. Basing this on the fact that you make time to travel to training sessions at silly o'clock and also that you're studying too. How do you balance all this with family life?
    What's a typical training week like for you, including typical training times?
    Bucket list races?
    9:29 IM or Kona?
    Dream bike setup?
    Who has been your biggest influence since starting tri?
    Any Pros that you look up to or follow closely?
    Best race to date and why?
    Does a high elbow catch really help your running? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

You have swam in sessions taken by two different coaches this year. Compare and contrast the approach of each coach. Don't worry, I'm not going to ask which coach is better but if you would indicate which approach you feel works best for you and why??

*can of worms well and truly opened*

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭bopperr

what are the top 3 bits of advice you would give to a first time Ironman in training for this summer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

when do you think you will have lost the bulk you gained during the time as a body builder a few years ago ?

dinner for two, moody or tunny ?

Ah M..were is the love

What's your favourite flavour of crisps?
    Dont have a fav but dont like salt & vinegar
    What's your favourite chocolate?
    Cadburys
    Why are you still bitter that I simply let you know that John was beating you as you ran towards the finish line in Kilkee? :)
    Bitter me never...competitive perhaps..was well beat by john.. Had a mare on the run in kilkee last year...was ill prepared for it and left my nutrition in t2 so one of the hardest runs i have ever experienced. U got me at a bad time :)
    Are you looking forward to your old man category events this year?
    Yes i am very much. Its my new excuse!

Do you think you can be more competitive in old man category? i hope so!!!
    Any ambition to do another Ironman?
    Was planning on 2015 but no rush to be honest. Have done 3.would like to get stronger in all 3 disciplines first
    Although After spending a week training in Lanzarote...its definitely on my list. Epic bike course.

Why does Miller82 blame you for the fact he spent too long in T2 putting gel in his hair to make sure he looked pretty for the cameras in Austria? +1
    Have you ever done a standalone marathon? no but will some day
    Have you done many run races or cycling races or did you go striaght into Tri? i did 2 10ks in the phoenix park b4 signing up for a tri
    What do you feel is your best discipline? and worst? Swimming best....running worst..biking somewhere in between
    What exactly do you work at and what direction are you going now? I know you were talking about changing direction
    Hedge fund accounting. Anyone with kids never encourage them to go into it. long hours. dog work. little reward......am trying to move away from accounting and into sales....doing my financial advisor (qfa exams) at present....need a new challenge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Whats your IM pb and splits?
    What do you reckon you could hit with perfect lead in and training in an IM race and splits?
    You tend to not do much running, or very little from what i have seen and know. Any particular reason or do you not enjoy it as much as swim & bike?
    What do you reckon are your major limiters?
    Do you still do 2/3 sessions in Dublin a week? If so given how time crunched you are do you think the 3 or 4 hrs travelling could be better utlised on additional sessions or do you see the sacrifices are worth it?
    Ever had a marathon goal focus, if not what would be hopeful of targeting?
    Apples or Oranges?
    Do you think there is a high degree of bull**** that goes on in Tri compared to other sports?

Paulo

Whats your favourite meal - courses and plonk or beers?
    Easter seaboard crab claws & chicken wings to start
    West 29 fillet steak
    Not a wine lover unlike my wife....however love craft beers...sierra nevada, sam adams, ipa's

5 dinner guests you'd like to have around for dinner.

Based on the lent thread, you obviously lack self discipline :pac: What are your strengths? brutal Discipline when it comes to food as i always hungry...rarely eat fast food though. Strengths hmmm i never give up in a race no matter how shi* its going...did dct one year and got 2 punctures..a 2 hr bike split and a 42 min 10k.....
    Any reason you didn't list a PM above? no its a great piece of kit too
    How was your first structured training camp? Loved it
    Would you recommend one? Yes definitely.....great training great fun...and u meet good people. b4 rolling off for our first ride another group was heading off too and my bike was next to a sweet p5....i turned to the girl saying wow nice bike only later dawning on me it was bella bayliss.
    You're obviously a driven and motivated person. Basing this on the fact that you make time to travel to training sessions at silly o'clock and also that you're studying too. How do you balance all this with family life?
    Its possible but its difficult as you know. Tri is a very selfish sport and to get the training in you have to be a bit selfish. i do 9 sessions a week. 4/5 before 7.30am 2 at lunch, 1 in eve and 2 at weekend. Its the only way it works with 2 kids under the age of six and both of us working full time. A sat or sun afternoon every week has to be dedicated to doing something with the family no matter what else is on
    What's a typical training week like for you, including typical training times?above
    Bucket list races? IM Lanzarote. Kona .

9:29 IM or Kona? Hmmm not hung up on time. Would love to get to kona some day but that would take a big change on family life imo and not willing to make that sacrifice at present. With the right training & time everybody has a 10hr ironman in them imo
    Dream bike setup?
    P5...di2...zipps
    Who has been your biggest influence since starting tri? Myself since im the one who does the work
    Any Pros that you look up to or follow closely? Not really. Saw a load of them in Lanzarote. I thought i was skinny until i saw Stephen Bayliss. Stick insect
    Best race to date and why? Frankfurt 2012...injury prone preparation which really screwed me up..knew when i got off the bike that i was going to suffer on the run and suffer i did for just under 4 hrs.
    Does a high elbow catch really help your running? Absolutely!!! :):pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Ah M..were is the love

I'm like a 14 year old boy. I save all the abuse for those I love the most :D

• Advertisement

BTH wrote: »
    You have swam in sessions taken by two different coaches this year. Compare and contrast the approach of each coach. Don't worry, I'm not going to ask which coach is better but if you would indicate which approach you feel works best for you and why??

*can of worms well and truly opened*

Well fook u very much Euge :) indeed i swam with Mr interested for one term last yr then moved to Mr Kern when Mr interested retired the session. Both coaches are excellent imo even though both can be grumpy fookers :) one likes toys the others does not bar a weird un natural obsession with a kickboard. Ones session was a 60 min the others a 90 min. One favours 400's one favours 800's . Kern watters watters kern both great swim coaches who genuinely want to improve even the slowest swimmer. Both have improved my swimming. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

As a reasonable swimmer you invest alot of time and money in specific swim sessions. Four hours commuting for two sessions. Given you are a reasonable swimmer why invest all this time in your strongest discipline for, at best, marginal gains? Investing this time to the detriment of the other two disciplines? I understand the idea of "using your swim as a weapon" but its a bit like throwing a 180 first dart and then hitting the ref in the head with the next two.

Sticking with the swimming - a close to an hour swim and a 6:19 400m. What gives? Effectively your time per 100m was only 3 seonds faster in the 400m TT recently? This related to an inability to suffer or has the quality of your swim sessions gone down since you did the 61m IM swim.

bopperr wrote: »
    what are the top 3 bits of advice you would give to a first time Ironman in training for this summer?

Jeez there are tonnes

Re training your imo your 2 most important sessions per week are your long bike and long run. On my 2nd IM i really liked doing a 5hr bike followed by a 40 min transition run on a Saturday(obviously i built up to this) and a long run on a Sunday. Long bikes are a mind f*ck when doing solo but they really bring you on and are great preparation for the day. Put the miles in.

Once you do the training then race day the most important things imo are Pacing and Nutrition ...ignore either and you will end up having a stinker of a marathon.

U need to pee at least twice on the bike. If you have not peed within 90 mins hrs you are dehydrated and need to drink. Ignore this at your peril.

Finally dont get hung up on time. Smart mgt will bring you naturally to your goal which is your fastest time for the point you are at.

peter kern wrote: »
    when do you think you will have lost the bulk you gained during the time as a body builder a few years ago ?

dinner for two, moody or tunny ?

I need to do some pushups to get that washboard chest back :)

Dinner for two for Moody & Tunney and id pay :)

All joking aside would gladly go the dinner with either. I get on well with both.

For those of us in the dark, who is moody? :confused:

pgibbo wrote: »
    For those of us in the dark, who is moody? :confused:

Steven Moody, ex Belpark, went to Piranha. Tells triathletes he is a runner, tells runners he is a triathletes. Does running races in a IRL trisuit.

Good craic, nice guy, a lot of time for him.

Whats your IM pb and splits?
    11.05 with poor prep in Frankfurt 2012 due to a 10 week hip injury
    Splits were 1.01,5.53,3.59

What do you reckon you could hit with perfect lead in and training in an IM race and splits?
    Oh tough question. Been 2 seasons since i done one. on an exact course like frankfurt id be probably be around the 10.15 mark.on a faster course faster..on a slower course slower . thats with a 6 mth perfect run in.

You tend to not do much running, or very little from what i have seen and know. Any particular reason or do you not enjoy it as much as swim & bike?
    Run miles to increase in coming mths. Sicknesses and training camp in lanzarote which was maily bike focused meant my feb numbers really low

What do you reckon are your major limiters? Job, spare time & time for recovery which is tough with kids

Do you still do 2/3 sessions in Dublin a week? If so given how time crunched you are do you think the 3 or 4 hrs travelling could be better utlised on additional sessions or do you see the sacrifices are worth it?
    I only do 1 session a week in Dublin. Its the only session i train with a squad and i dont believe it would be possible to put the same effort in on your own

Ever had a marathon goal focus, if not what would be hopeful of targeting? Sub 3 ;).....may go for it some day
    Apples or Oranges?
    Do you think there is a high degree of bull**** that goes on in Tri compared to other sports? Not sure what you mean? in what context? cheers

tunney wrote: »
    Steven Moody, ex Belpark, went to Piranha. Tells triathletes he is a runner, tells runners he is a triathletes. Does running races in a IRL trisuit.

Good craic, nice guy, a lot of time for him.

i feel one needs to add that he is most likely the only runner ever that won the operation transformation 5 k run with a sub 3 hour marathon pb ;-)

i feel one needs to add that he is most likely the only runner ever that won the operation transformation 5 k run with a sub 3 hour marathon pb ;-)

HAHAHAHA I forgot about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Hey there Bryan! :)

Just a few questions to get me warmed up....

What events have you lined up for this year, and which race(s) will be your goal race(s) and what time(s), including splits, are you targeting?

You indicate that you never give up in a race no matter how bad the wheels are falling off....so does that mean your secret weapon in a race is your mental capacity? If not, then what is your secret weapon?

What sorts of things occupy your mind on those mind f*cking long bike rides you mentioned above?

What age group are you moving up to?

Best finish in any event...and best prize won?

Have you any tattoos? And if so, how many, where and of what?

Why do you think Peter Kern wrote his questions to you in pink? And what color do you think interested would write his questions to you in?

• Advertisement

on advise of fazz we converted a shiv bike into an underwater bike so he actually cycles while swimming. I guess this is the reason he is quite high up on the bike scale in the sbr thread .

at the same time he has now twice as many km on the bike than yourself this year.
    As a reasonable swimmer you invest alot of time and money in specific swim sessions. Four hours commuting for two sessions. Given you are a reasonable swimmer why invest all this time in your strongest discipline for, at best, marginal gains? Investing this time to the detriment of the other two disciplines? I understand the idea of "using your swim as a weapon" but its a bit like throwing a 180 first dart and then hitting the ref in the head with the next two.

Sticking with the swimming - a close to an hour swim and a 6:19 400m. What gives? Effectively your time per 100m was only 3 seonds faster in the 400m TT recently? This related to an inability to suffer or has the quality of your swim sessions gone down since you did the 61m IM swim.

on advise of fazz we converted a shiv bike into an underwater bike so he actually cycles while swimming. I guess this is the reason he is quite high up on the bike scale in the sbr thread .

at the same time he has now twice as many km on the bike than yourself this year.

It was a serious question though, the potential ROI on the effort is minimal, but the travel time alone could have a significant ROI on the bike/run (albeit if properly applied - and the lack of deviation in 5 min versus 20 min would be a concern)

Also a shiv would most likely float if you left the internal bladders in.

If only the statement "volume beget performance" was true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Hi Bryangiggsy:

1. Favourite place to swim?
    2. What three toys would you put in your swim kit?
    3. Thorpe or Phelps?
    4. You have a retired investor age 70 who is well capitalised with short and medium term access to funds, and has a balanced portfolio. List three suitable options where they might invest €100k over 3/4 years. (maybe I'll get next weeks work done here...;))

Ah i only do one session in Dublin a week. As i said earlier its the only session i do with a squad and i enjoy it plus its a good hard coached session which would be difficult to replicate on your own. So i dont agree the other 2 suffer.

I swam 61 in a wetsuit in Frankfurt before i started with Interested and Peter. Id be looking to swim a 57/58 next time out. Alex (miller82) swam under the hour in Austria i believe and the races we went head to head last year i was out of water first. I benefit greatly from a wetsuit.my 400 time was 6.16 ithout (5th or 6th in class)a few weeks ago and 5.31 with wetsuit on (2nd in class). My swim times in all my tris last year were up on the year previous so swimming has definitely improved!!!

Ah dory nice to finally meet u!!!!

Just a few questions to get me warmed up....

What events have you lined up for this year, and which race(s) will be your goal race(s) and what time(s), including splits, are you targeting?
    Liam Ball, Kilkee, Athlone, Caroline Kearney..and hopefully lost sheep.......would be targeting pb in kilkee....was 2.23 there last year i think...one of two races more

You indicate that you never give up in a race no matter how bad the wheels are falling off....so does that mean your secret weapon in a race is your mental capacity? If not, then what is your secret weapon?
    I suffer like a mother f8cker in races as i usually pace the shorter ones poorly..would not consider it a weapon....actually not sure if i have any :(

What sorts of things occupy your mind on those mind f*cking long bike rides you mentioned above? 'Why the fook am i doing this' 'oh she's alright' 'that fooker didn't wave' 'Wind u mother fooker'

What age group are you moving up to? 40-44..the vets :)

Best finish in any event...and best prize won? hmmm 22nd in lough key national series last yr i think prob my best as it had a pretty decent field...no trophy though. 6th in lough ree monster tri sprint in 1.06 last yr..nice trophy

Have you any tattoos? And if so, how many, where and of what? No tattoos but have toyed with the idea in the past. Non m dot but i have to say millers one is cool on the inside of his bicep

Why do you think Peter Kern wrote his questions to you in pink? And what color do you think interested would write his questions to you in?

I have no idea why peter wrote that in pink and i dont want to know either!!!! Dont know the colour but his pen would probably have a picture of a kickboard on it.....kickboard sadist....(as u can tell i hate kicking)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Seemed apt

Kurt apologies for delay in responding

1. Favourite place to swim?
    Kilkee or Any decent lake on a nice day
    2. What three toys would you put in your swim kit? band,buoy.fins
    3. Thorpe or Phelps? Phelps defintely
    4. You have a retired investor age 70 who is well capitalised with short and medium term access to funds, and has a balanced portfolio. List three suitable options where they might invest €100k over 3/4 years. (maybe I'll get next weeks work done here...;)) Hmmm let me think about this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Hello again, B. :)

How many bikes do you own? And what are their names?

Where do you keep your water/sports drink on your bike? And if you favor grabbing your water bottle with one hand or the other, which hand do you favor?

Can you blow snot rockets while cycling? And if so, have you ever accidentally hit another cyclist with one?

Pet peeves?

Annoying habits?

Blondes, brunettes or redheads?

What kind of socks do you typically wear while at work? And while we're at it, what kind of shoes do you wear while at work?

Rate your dancing ability, and what is your trademark move on the dance floor?

Have you ever seen "A Serbian Film" or "Cannibal Holocaust" as some of our triathlon mates have (I'm looking at you cw and griffin and mloc123!), and if so, what did you think of them?

Why did you have to drop out of the Lent Challenge after only 2 days?

• Advertisement

Favourite training session across the 3 disciplines?
    Do you do much core/rolling and general maintenance?
    Which boardsie would you most like to beat in a sprint finish?
    Favourite distance to race?
    Favourite race?
    What sports do you have your kids doing?
    You and 2 others for a boards relay team. Who would you pick and what discipline would each person do?
    Favourite book?
    How do you kick back and relax?
    Do you do any new or different sports in the off season?
    Dream holiday?

Advertisement