Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

4S from O2

• 11-03-2014 11:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭

My wife got offered an iphone 4S (8gb) for free as an upgrade on her Simplicity 150 minutes/texts & 250mb data.

24 month contract, €18 per month, free phone.

Seems like an unreal deal. Seems like O2 are finally giving some good deals.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Was it a special offer through her job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

nope, she just got a call yesterday.
    she was on a simplicity 18 month €20 a month deal for 150min/250mb data.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭McGrath5

The only thing to be careful there is the low data offering included with that plan, she would be best advised to keep a close eye on her usage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

My wife got offered an iphone 4S (8gb) for free as an upgrade on her Simplicity 150 minutes/texts & 250mb data.

24 month contract, €18 per month, free phone.

Seems like an unreal deal. Seems like O2 are finally giving some good deals.

Thoughts?

Not a bad deal but a 2 year contract wouldn't be for everyone either especially when its not the latest phone they are getting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

not a great deal tbh,

4S is a 2 year old phone at this stage, 250mb I'd blow that in two days (or even less) and I'm not even a heavy user.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭makoten

It's not much of an 'upgrade' considering the 4s was released in late 2011 and will be outdated by next year, so a 2 year contract is really not worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

You'll find sooner rather than later that 8gb isn't enough (well 6gb user usable really). And 250mb data per month is only for checking email and some websites/Facebook. Forget about YouTube, streaming or anything like that.

You will regret the deal very quickly.

She currently has a 3gs and used (wait for it), 29mb last month. I keep her locked in the house mostly and she uses wifi

wife literally uses the phone for phone calls and texts (now whatsapp). I didnt think that paying €18 a month you would get any phone for free, no mind one that is €399 in the apple store.

I'm a nexus 5 user btw, so yeah, my phone is better than yours.

not a great deal tbh,

4S is a 2 year old phone at this stage, 250mb I'd blow that in two days (or even less) and I'm not even a heavy user.

I have 4g and dont go near anything like that in two days. You're a crazy heavy user!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

She currently has a 3gs and used (wait for it), 29mb last month. I keep her locked in the house mostly and she uses wifi

wife literally uses the phone for phone calls and texts (now whatsapp). I didnt think that paying €18 a month you would get any phone for free, no mind one that is €399 in the apple store.

It's probably better than my 4S but not by much :-)

For your wife this is a good deal. The 4S is way faster than the 3GS. And retina. It's still a very usable device. She will get iOS 7 & 8 but maybe lose out on 9. Since she is on a 3GS she is used to not getting the latest OS in her last year. Go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,907 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

I have 4g and dont go near anything like that in two days. You're a crazy heavy user!

4G here also and have a 3GB allowance but usually use 2-2.5GB, I'm in wifi range most days. Currently projected to use 1500mb for the month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

If that's the case then yeah, it should be fine. Although photos and videos on the 4S are much larger than the 3GS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

The data on offer is shockingly low. They have some nerve offering people that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

... she uses wifi ...
    Poor woman. It sounds like she uses WifeFi :D

Not really I just use it on my dart journey which is 45 minutes in and out. I mostly browse boards and twitter (I also have 4g). Most others I see on my commute are streaming archaic FM radio for the entire journey which I'd say eats way much more data than I'd do.

I also don't tether that much (maybe once a month) and I still manage to hit 1.5-2gb a month. I'm also connected to 200mbit at home and 1000mbit at work so it's not like I'm doing much on cellular there either or have an incentive.

naasrd wrote: »
    The data on offer is shockingly low. They have some nerve offering people that.

my thoughts aswell, but she just doesnt use data. and its €18 a month. €18! thats the part I couldnt get over, they dont normally give free phones in ireland for that kind of moolah a month

as said earlier, the 4S is now 2 years old. they've probably got a warehouse full of them that they are trying to get rid of.

Advertisement