Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No more fluoridation in the county

Options
  • 11-03-2014 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭

If you want a nice glass of cold fresh pure drinking water then just jump on a bus to Kinsale and enjoy....
    Cork County Council, the country's largest local authority ,
    has voted for the fluoridation of Irish water to end.
    Yesterday's motion was proposed by Clonakilty based
    Councillor Christopher O Sullivan, while councillors also received
    an open letter from the West Cork Fluoride Free campaign.
    The campaigners believe there are links between fluoride ,
    and a number of illnesses and diseases.
    Over the last two years, six West Cork councils have voted for the
    immediate cessation of the fluoridation of the public water supply.
    The motion was unanimously passed by all of the councillors present.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

So there is no fluoride in your water as of today?

Or.... Did a council 'call on' the government to do something they have no intention or obligation to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

corkonion wrote: »
    The campaigners believe there are links between fluoride , and a number of illnesses and diseases.
    They believe, or they have proof?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

They believe, or they have proof?

They believe. Owen Boyden from Fluoride Free Towns was on RTE's today programme on radio earlier and claimed fluoride caused Down's syndrome and. When challenged by the presenter to cite a source, or, at the very least, name the medical journal which had published the research, he was unable to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

evilivor wrote: »
    They believe. Owen Boyden from Fluoride Free Towns was on RTE's today programme on radio earlier and claimed fluoride caused Down's syndrome and. When challenged by the presenter to cite a source, or, at the very least, name the medical journal which had published the research, he was unable to.

There's a surprise :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

And remember folks, don't vaccinate your kids against preventable dangerous diseases, they'll be autistic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I have heard arguments before that the fluoride in Irish water is contributing to the higher than average level of cases of Autism and Down Syndrome in the country relative to pretty much anywhere else in the world. Any studies have been inconclusive though, some saying there is a correlation, some saying there isn't. I think there are too many other factors involved to say either way for sure. Still, fluoride in our water is not a good thing and there studies that show it affects the development of the brain so it's not a HUGE leap to link Autism or Down Syndrome to it, particularly when we drink and shower/bath in it every day. It's gonna have some health impact.

Bacchus wrote: »
    I have heard arguments before that the fluoride in Irish water is contributing to the higher than average level of cases of Autism and Down Syndrome in the country relative to pretty much anywhere else in the world. Any studies have been inconclusive though, some saying there is a correlation, some saying there isn't. I think there are too many other factors involved to say either way for sure. Still, fluoride in our water is not a good thing and there studies that show it affects the development of the brain so it's not a HUGE leap to link Autism or Down Syndrome to it, particularly when we drink and shower/bath in it every day. It's gonna have some health impact.

What causes down syndrome

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/145554.php

What causes autism

No mention of fluoride being a contributing factor there.

What about all of the autistic and down syndrome children born in countries with no added fluoride:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

My teeth are in excellent shape because of fluoridation in the water.

Whats the alternative to fluoridation so?

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭alanucc

Interesting that this comes up around the same time as the responsibility for water treatment is being passed over to Irish Water

alanucc wrote: »
    Interesting that this comes up around the same time as the responsibility for water treatment is being passed over to Irish Water

I think it's more closely linked to forthcoming local elections.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

the waiting lists at the dental hospital will be years now as opposed to months if this does go through

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭big_heart_on

My teeth are in good shape but I dont know how much of that is thanks to fluoride or proper care.

In Germany I understand that fluoride is added to table salt. That way if you want fluoride you can get it daily and if you dont want it you dont have to consume it.

I would suggest the German model is what we should have here, give individuals the choice.

the waiting lists at the dental hospital will be years now as opposed to months if this does go through

Yes, but at least Downs and Autism and all other maladies will have been eradicated.

bumper234 wrote: »
    What causes down syndrome

What causes autism

No mention of fluoride being a contributing factor there.

What about all of the autistic and down syndrome children born in countries with no added fluoride:rolleyes:

No need for the rollie eyes. We're not children here.

I find the links to Downs Syndrome a stretch myself but flouride does have an effect on brain development and Autism has MANY causes (your link isn't working btw). Therefore I think it is reasonable to look for links between that and instances of mental disabilities. BTW, I never said it was THE cause but it could be a contributing factor, however small a factor it may be. We've no need for flouride to be in our water and since the long term effects of it's consumption are unknown, I'd rather it not be there. You want to look after your teeth, brush them regularly.

No need for the rollie eyes. We're not children here.

I find the links to Downs Syndrome a stretch myself but flouride does have an effect on brain development and Autism has MANY causes (your link isn't working btw). Therefore I think it is reasonable to look for links between that and instances of mental disabilities. BTW, I never said it was THE cause but it could be a contributing factor, however small a factor it may be. We've no need for flouride to be in our water and since the long term effects of it's consumption are unknown, I'd rather it not be there. You want to look after your teeth, brush them regularly.

So could carbonmonoxide....should we not ban driving until we are sure?

So could carbonmonoxide....should we not ban driving until we are sure?

I don't disagree with your point but the two solutions "banning driving" and "stop adding flouride to our water" are not equal.

Removing the flouride is undoing what we did years ago. It is not necessary to add it to our water and there are many health concerns (beyond just autism) associated with it. I don't see a reason to keep adding it.

Banning driving would be a drastic measure that would grind the country to a halt and destroy our economy. The benefits to the environment and health would be great alright but it's quite ridiculous to compare it to the simple act of not adding flouride to our water. Totally off topic, but the future of renewable, clean energies is hopefully a bright one.

I don't disagree with your point but the two solutions "banning driving" and "stop adding flouride to our water" are not equal.

Removing the flouride is undoing what we did years ago. It is not necessary to add it to our water and there are many health concerns (beyond just autism) associated with it. I don't see a reason to keep adding it.

Banning driving would be a drastic measure that would grind the country to a halt and destroy our economy. The benefits to the environment and health would be great alright but it's quite ridiculous to compare it to the simple act of not adding flouride to our water. Totally off topic, but the future of renewable, clean energies is hopefully a bright one.

So there is no evidence of fluoride causing autism but you think it should be banned anyway just in case. Scaremongering at it's finest by throwing in autism and down syndrome without a shred of credible evidence (you deserve these):rolleyes:

So there is no evidence of fluoride causing autism but you think it should be banned anyway just in case. Scaremongering at it's finest by throwing in autism and down syndrome without a shred of credible evidence (you deserve these):rolleyes:

You're quite the condescending one aren't you. I was not scaremongering at all. Read my posts, I even doubt the results of the studies myself and said ...
    Any studies have been inconclusive though, some saying there is a correlation, some saying there isn't. I think there are too many other factors involved to say either way for sure

... in my first post. Further, I said
    I find the links to Downs Syndrome a stretch myself but flouride does have an effect on brain development and Autism has MANY causes

I do not pretend to know exactly what effect Flouride is having on the health of the population but I have concerns that it has a negative effect on our health. You don't have to agree with all or any of the studies or articles on the topic them but give me one good reason why we should have flouride in our water. Bear in mind dental hygiene products are easily available to all. Why do YOU want to keep flouride in the water?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭sok2005

I'm glad it's out of our water. Tooth decay is not caused by fluoride deficiency and no one is 100% sure what all the side effects or long term effects of fluoride in our system are.

If you want fluoride feel free to add it yourself, you get it in most toothpastes, it's in out tinned foods, fruits, veg etc. also.

sok2005 wrote: »
    I'm glad it's out of our water. Tooth decay is not caused by fluoride deficiency and no one is 100% sure what all the side effects or long term effects of fluoride in our system are.

If you want fluoride feel free to add it yourself, you get it in most toothpastes, it's in out tinned foods, fruits, veg etc. also.

It's not out our water. Cork County Council passed a motion calling on the Government to stop treating the public water supply with fluoride.

It has more effect on the world, or the water, than Cork declaring itself a Nuclear Free Zone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,029 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I think the onus should be on the people insisting on fluoridation to prove that it doesn't have any ill effects.
    I think it may have been beneficial at one time when dental care and awareness weren't so good. Now, I see no reason for it when most people use toothpaste with fluoride and take much better care of their teeth.

Get it out, I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭corkonion

I don't know all the pros and cons of fluoride, I do know that unless I buy bottled water in Ireland and stay away from coffee shops and all other sources of water I am being forced to consume a chemical that I don't want. The rest of europe have perfectly good teeth without being force fed this chemical that has been proven to effect brain development.

http://fluoridealert.org/studies/brain03/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluoride_toxicity

http://www.globalresearch.ca/effects-of-fluoride-on-human-health-can-damage-the-brain-and-bones/5321568

I think the onus should be on the people insisting on fluoridation to prove that it doesn't have any ill effects.
    Surely the onus is on either side to deliver their proof?

The rest of europe have perfectly good teeth without being force fed this chemical that has been proven to effect brain development.
    Am I missing something here?
    Are we all spinning out of control with brain damage due to being forced feed dangerous levels of fluoride in our water?

Am I missing something here?
    Are we all spinning out of control with brain damage due to being forced feed dangerous levels of fluoride in our water?

Perhaps you are, nobody said Brain Damage, it is Brain Development that has been proven to be effected by fluoride, a very different thing. Why would anyone want a chemical added to their fresh water that can cause damage? There was a time in Ireland that Oral hygiene practices were non existent and fluoride was added as many people didn't have a tooth in their mouth at very young ages. That time has passed, the risks now certainly outweigh any benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,029 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Surely the onus is on either side to deliver their proof?

Not really.
    If you insist on putting a chemical in public water, I think the onus is on you to prove categorically and without doubt that it is safe to do so.

Not really.
    If you insist on putting a chemical in public water, I think the onus is on you to prove categorically and without doubt that it is safe to do so.

If you make claims that the chemical is dangerous and can lead to autism and down syndrome then surely the onus would be on you to back up these claims that it is unsafe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

I don't know all the pros and cons of fluoride, I do know that unless I buy bottled water in Ireland and stay away from coffee shops and all other sources of water I am being forced to consume a chemical that I don't want. The rest of europe have perfectly good teeth without being force fed this chemical that has been proven to effect brain development.

no they don't.
    i'm a dentist working in the UK. i see more patients that you could only describe as dreadful in a month that i would see in a year in Dublin.
    then again, if they take fluoride out, then i might be able to move home sooner and not spend my time twiddling my thumbs.
    even the difference between urban and rural cork is obvious especially in kids.

If you make claims that the chemical is dangerous and can lead to autism and down syndrome then surely the onus would be on you to back up these claims that it is unsafe.
    By that logic it would be ok for companies to add whatever chemicals they wanted to products, and if the consumer couldnt prove that they were toxic then that would be fine!!

if you look back a few posts you will find the links to the research that have been conducted on the dangers of fluoride, or else just google it. theres plenty of research there and none of it endorses the use of fluoride.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

Is it too much to ask to just have water in my water?

Never mind the argument about whether or not flouride causes brain damage, Downs or Autism.....I'd prefer to CHOOSE what I consume. Is that too much to ask?

Advertisement