Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

additional maternity leave duration notifcation

Options
  • 11-03-2014 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Have a query on the notification for additional maternity leave.
    I've advised my employer that I am taking unpaid leave, but I am not 100% sure yet on the duration. When do I have to advise my employer of the duration of my unpaid leave?

In the below info it states that I have to give 4 weeks notice that I am taking unpaid leave (I've done that). Further down it then says I have to advise the employer at least 4 weeks before I return to work that I am coming back, which would indicate that I don't have to advise of the length of unpaid leave? Or am I reading that wrong?

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/maternity_leave.html

Additional maternity leave

Notice: You must give your employer at least 4 weeks' written notice of your intention to take maternity leave and you must also provide your employer with a medical certificate confirming the pregnancy. If you intend to take the additional 16 weeks’ maternity leave you must provide your employer with at least 4 weeks' written notice. Both these notices can be given at the same time.

Return to work: You must give your employer at least 4 weeks' written notice of your intention to return to work

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

The bit you've quoted is in relation to returning from general mat. leave afaik. Just looking at our forms here (PS) we have to apply for additional leave four weeks before the end of our Mat. leave but in the form for the add. mat. level we do have to tell them how much we intend to take, and then still have to fill out the return to work form. It's a bit hazy, but I think it's down to your local policy.
    Does your HR have any policies outlined for Mat. leave?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Wooha

Thanks ginny, there's no hr so all a bit hazy :-)

Advertisement