Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notice Period - within 6 month probation

Options
  • 11-03-2014 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I started a job 3 months ago, I am still in the 6 months probation period.

For a few different reasons, the job is not working out and I wish to move on to better opportunities.

I believe ( if I researched correctly ) that legally I only have to give a weeks notice, but what if in the contract it says I have to give a month?

Is notice periods just a week for both parties ( employer and myself ) while still on probation ? I thought so anyway.

All advice welcomed. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

IMHO if your contract says anything, then it supercedes the legal minimum.

But you may be able to negotiate a shorter time (maybe even tomorrow!) if both sides are unhappy.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭oB1

IMHO if your contract says anything, then it supercedes the legal minimum.

But you may be able to negotiate a shorter time (maybe even tomorrow!) if both sides are unhappy.

Excellent, thanks for your advice, i didn't know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Yep, once the contract doesn't specify a shorter notice period than you're entitled to, then it's whatever you signed up to. Otherwise there'd be no point including that clause at all in the contract.

As Mrs O says, it's often easy to negotiate a shorter notice period during the probation period; an employer is usually just as happy to cut their losses as the employee is. May be no harm to be armed with a plan for finishing up / handing over your work to make the conversation a bit easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

As others have said the contract supersedes the legal minimum. Interestingly, a one month notice period within the probation period seems to be bordering on the norm now. Why are employers doing this? If an employee hands in their notice within the probation period, it is highly likely that a shorter notice period will be agreed upon by both parties, as Mrs O said.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

COYW wrote: »
    As others have said the contract supersedes the legal minimum. Interestingly, a one month notice period within the probation period seems to be bordering on the norm now. Why are employers doing this? If an employee hands in their notice within the probation period, it is highly likely that a shorter notice period will be agreed upon by both parties, as Mrs O said.
    Because someone still need to do the work of said person and 1 month gives more time to find and start training a replacement compared to 1 week/day. Of course if the team is not as busy as expected you can always agree to let them go earlier to save some money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭oB1

Eoin wrote: »
    Yep, once the contract doesn't specify a shorter notice period than you're entitled to, then it's whatever you signed up to. Otherwise there'd be no point including that clause at all in the contract.

As Mrs O says, it's often easy to negotiate a shorter notice period during the probation period; an employer is usually just as happy to cut their losses as the employee is. May be no harm to be armed with a plan for finishing up / handing over your work to make the conversation a bit easier.
    COYW wrote: »

Thanks all for the helpful responses - After speaking with fellow colleagues, it seems that it will be possible to agree upon any notice period that suits both the employer and myself. I have yet to do this officially, but i don't suspect any issues as i am leaving on good terms.

Advertisement