Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

none trading business name

Options
  • 11-03-2014 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi, I am looking to register a non trading business name - but don't know of the process.

I take it I have to register it with the CRO - have already checked and the name is not used.

But since I am not trading for now or a number of month do I need to send a letter to the CRO or revenue to tell them that this is a none trading business name and another letter then when I am ready to trade under this name ?

thanks for your help
    Gilbert

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I registered the company a few months before we started trading there is no need to inform them you won't be trading for X period of time. You are better off registering now so that you can put any start up costs in the company name makes it clearer for your accounts and start getting everything you need to do in order also businesses will obviously want the company name and you don't want to tell a load of people its going to be X and not register it and find someone else likes that name and registers it in the mean time! Depending on your likely start up costs you can put off registering for VAT until nearer the time (if you do plan on registering at all).

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Slaacer

You just registered your company with the CRO to have the name and your registration no confirmed and did nothing else until you were ready to trade ?

Well you read my mind - I want to have everything in place before I start actively talking and marketing my activity so it looks properly set up and organised.

Thx

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Slaacer wrote: »
    You just registered your company with the CRO to have the name and your registration no confirmed and did nothing else until you were ready to trade ?

Well you read my mind - I want to have everything in place before I start actively talking and marketing my activity so it looks properly set up and organised.

Thx

Yeh pretty much it does take a little while for the whole registration process to go through so best to get our the way a little too early than a little too late! If you are acting on behalf of the company in a way you are already trading I guess especially if you are incurring business expenses. I registered for VAT straight away too as there was a good bit of stuff to claim back.

What are you planning on getting into? The forum is a great place to check you are doing things right and getting new ideas!

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Ctrl Alt Del

Slaacer wrote: »
    Hi, I am looking to register a non trading business name - but don't know of the process.

I take it I have to register it with the CRO - have already checked and the name is not used.

But since I am not trading for now or a number of month do I need to send a letter to the CRO or revenue to tell them that this is a none trading business name and another letter then when I am ready to trade under this name ?

thanks for your help
    Gilbert

My logic will tell me:

-get the business idea
    -do the home work with related to market,area,cash,banks,SWOT
    -get a name that makes sense and relates to my business
    -register the Business Name with CRO / CORE online
    -based on that,you can apply and get your .ie domain name
    -wait for Certificate of Registration
    -open a bank account
    -get an Accountant from day 1

Now,the most important answer to your Q... when you are ready to trade (i mean to effective buy products /services TO sell products / services) you fill and send to Revenue the so called Form TR1,signed and marked the day of beginning to trade. You have to make sure that any expenses made before that day are well accounted for...Also,few variances when register a self employed AND when you register a LTD.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/business/running/registering-tax.html

Good luck...

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Slaacer

thank you these are great answers - well being out of work for so long now I have to do something so I decided to publish through a website my expertise in Customer experience and start blogging and threads through social media to promote myself - it could be a while before someone asks me to work with them on projects, consultancy basis but I want to have my website ready with some core articles and theories first while I work on the sales/marketing plan - have gone that way as a results of feedback from people who know me.

my website is www.customerexperience360.net and I am looking for the .ie hence my post as I think the best way is the register with the CRO. PS any feedback is welcome - site still developped as we speak.

i want to have the .ie so I can start getting my business cards done too so from a customer experience view it looks properly structured !

For now I don't have expenses as such as I do the site myself and the content is mine.

thank you for your help
    G

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭terryhobdell

Good luck in your new endeavour there are some typos on your website "  a smarter to way" for example get it proof read by a person who can spot these things. Hope it works for you.

Advertisement