Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Husqvarna 242XPG

• 11-03-2014 3:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭

Have a 242XPG here which I inherited last year. It sat idle for about a year before I got near it to have a look. The saw is in good condition and was certainly well maintained, but with the passing of its previous owner, now needs some finer fettling.

I've cleaned the air filter, fitted a new plug (NGK, variety as per Husky manual), 13" Oregon Pro-lite bar and chain, replaced the fuel filter with genuine and filled her with Aspen 2T 40:1 premix from a new sealed can.

She fire's up but won't idle for more than a few seconds. Compression is good and I know it wasn't run lean. I'm not so good on small 2 strokes so maybe ye can tell me if I should be stripping and cleaning the carb rather than using a carb cleaner in situ. I'm guessing that's not such a good idea on a fuel-lubed engine?

Someone mentioned to me that there's a carb 'boot' on these that could be perished. Anyone know if that's the case and if so how handy are they to swap out?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭kay 9

Have a 242XPG here which I inherited last year. It sat idle for about a year before I got near it to have a look. The saw is in good condition and was certainly well maintained, but with the passing of its previous owner, now needs some finer fettling.

I've cleaned the air filter, fitted a new plug (NGK, variety as per Husky manual), 13" Oregon Pro-lite bar and chain, replaced the fuel filter with genuine and filled her with Aspen 2T 40:1 premix from a new sealed can.

She fire's up but won't idle for more than a few seconds. Compression is good and I know it wasn't run lean. I'm not so good on small 2 strokes so maybe ye can tell me if I should be stripping and cleaning the carb rather than using a carb cleaner in situ. I'm guessing that's not such a good idea on a fuel-lubed engine?

Someone mentioned to me that there's a carb 'boot' on these that could be perished. Anyone know if that's the case and if so how handy are they to swap out?
    will probably need a retune with aspen. But, if there was petrol & mix left in it might need a carb kit. How's it in the cut? Ps. Putting new carb kit in its pretty straight forward. Like for like. When doing it, give the jets a blast of carb cleaner. New good practice to change the fuel line also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Does it rev and run at high speed?
    If it does then it sounds like a blocked pilot jet.
    The orifices in these engines are very small and block easily.
    Gently screw the adjuster in until it stops and then back out to the same position and then blow some carb cleaner through it.
    When the old petrol sits in the saw it turns into a varnish which blocks the jets.
    Using Aspen is a good choice for a saw like that, they really scream for an old saw.
    Just be careful with the generator, they can come loose and hit the flywheel causing running problems, I took mine off my 262XPG as I didn't need it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

Yeah, it'll run fine at full throttle with impressive performance on cuts through 7-9" diameter alder and birch logs. I'd be confident it would run a 15" bar with 1.5mm chain easy enough for occasional thinning and felling. It seems a good little saw for a 40ish CC. I only cut a half dozen rounds as I don't want to work the saw until I know I have it right. It has a lot of sentimental value and while it'll be used as it was intended when it was first bought, I also want to take care of it as it should be too.

I'll try the things ye suggest and let ye know how that works out. Thanks.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Does it rev and run at high speed?
    If it does then it sounds like a blocked pilot jet.
    The orifices in these engines are very small and block easily.
    Gently screw the adjuster in until it stops and then back out to the same position and then blow some carb cleaner through it.
    When the old petrol sits in the saw it turns into a varnish which blocks the jets.
    Using Aspen is a good choice for a saw like that, they really scream for an old saw.
    Just be careful with the generator, they can come loose and hit the flywheel causing running problems, I took mine off my 262XPG as I didn't need it.

Ajuster all the way in back to where it was and a good squirt of carb cleaner into her seemed to have done the job alright. I'll open the flywheel cover at the weekend and make sure all is as it should be too.

Kay9 I ordered a carb kit for spares and a length of fuel line wihle I was spending so I can swap it as you said. Thanks to the both of you for replying lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

There is no carb boot on a 242, sounds like a quick tune up or tick over too low, start with the basics first before spending money on parts that may not solve the problem.

• Advertisement

I figured out this evening there is no boot on them. The only parts bought were what it deserved anyway so safe enough there. Sorted now thanks to the two lads above.

Advertisement