Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog drinking sea water

• 11-03-2014 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

My lab (9 months) has a tendency to lap at sea water when we walk on the beach. I don't want to have to restrict him to the lead, would bringing fresh water with me and encouraging him to drink that help?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

I always bring freshwater to the beach with me for that reason. water water everywhere and not a drop to drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭robocode

Did yours try drink sea water at any stage? If so, did bringing fresh water stop it happening?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

robocode wrote: »
    Did yours try drink sea water at any stage? If so, did bringing fresh water stop it happening?

I live beside a beach and am there most days with the dogs. They've always slurped some sea water, I think it's a simple matter that they like the taste! I wouldn't worry too much about it unless your dog is ingesting a lot of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭robocode

Ok, thanks for the reassurance. I googled it earlier (usually a bad move) and was quickly greeted with "Salt Water Kills Dogs", "Sea Water Makes Dogs Brain Swell" etc.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

robocode wrote: »
    Ok, thanks for the reassurance. I googled it earlier (usually a bad move) and was quickly greeted with "Salt Water Kills Dogs", "Sea Water Makes Dogs Brain Swell" etc.

:-o
    My dogs must have huuuuge brains so!
    Seriously though, they wouldn't take in any more than a few slurps, I wouldn't be inclined to allow them to take much more than the few experimental slurps. No harm to bring fresh water with you in any case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

DBB wrote: »
    I live beside a beach and am there most days with the dogs. They've always slurped some sea water, I think it's a simple matter that they like the taste! I wouldn't worry too much about it unless your dog is ingesting a lot of it.

I suppose given they sometimes eat their own chocolate pellets I shouldn't be too surprised but my god when I accidentally get a drop of seawater in my mouth the job to try and get rid of the taste :P
    Mine eats bucketloads of seaweed when he goes to the beach no doubt that's full of seawater, apart from the odd little regurgitation when we get home he's had no issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

My sister in laws Spitz is not too clever. When at the beach he will have a lap at the water. A few minutes later he will throw it back up. A few minutes later he will have some more water and throw it up and repeat for the duration!

Advertisement