Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lodge cheque for infant to parents account?

Options
  • 11-03-2014 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭

Hi, 
    our daughter was lucky enough to get a present of a €50 cheque from a relative at christmas and time is ticking by and its time we lodged it somehow. 
    She has no bank account but I have one with you. 

She is only 4 and cannot write so cannot endorse the cheque (which is crossed with A/C but not "payeee only". 
    So, can you tell me whats the procedure for lodging a cheque from a child who cannot write?
    I can provide a copy of her passport if needs be. 

Well... she could sign the cheque on the back but it would be no more than a scrawl if thats also any help! 

Many thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi munchkin_utd,

Thanks for your post.

When a crossed cheque is being lodged to another party's account, it must be endorsed by the payee. We would suggest calling into your local branch with your photo id and your daughter's passport as it may be possible to sign on her behalf. 

Another option would be to open a Childsave Account. With this account type you would have signing authority so could withdraw funds on her behalf. It would also be a way of saving for all of those expensive items daughters tend to want when they hit their teenage years!

Thanks
    Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Hi Tara, 
    I'm currently in Germany and will not be home possibly till christmas so wont be able to drop into the bank.

I might just have to take the hit and pay whatever fee they ask for if I lodge it to one of my accounts here. 
    Which still doesnt get me around the problem of endorsing a cheque by someone who is too young to write, but as you suggest its something that may be dealt with best in the branch itsself! 

anyhow, thanks for your quick respose and regards from Munich! 

Advertisement