Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boa Constrictor

Options
  • 11-03-2014 3:41pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭

I'm really interested in getting a boa or some kind of dwarf boa.

I have kept Corn snakes before, and I would like to try my hand at a different species.

Does anyone have any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

Boas are great snakes, very tamable and grow to a nice manageable, yet still big size. My advice is, if you haven't had the opportunity to handle adult boas with somebody else' supervision, get a baby or a juvenile. They don't look that big, and compared to retics and burms, they're not that big. But you'll be surprised at how big and powerful they actually are. Some boas have accidentally strangled their handlers just by climbing around them and getting a hold of their neck, with no intentions to hurt. When it comes to boas and pythons, you need to absolutely make sure you have a good heating system. Boas can get respiratory infection quite easily, which can be deadly. A heat mat should work grand, but I'd check it frequently and make sure it's taped down to the vivarium properly and is in tight contact, as they don't work properly if they're not in contact. I'd also suggest using a heat bulb, but boas are known to get curious and investigate the heat bulb, leading to burns, so I'd suggest getting one with a guard. Really, other than that, they're not too much different to corn snakes, surprisingly, they are a lot more likely to bite if they feel threatened, but they're easily tamable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭JonKelleher

Boas are great snakes, very tamable and grow to a nice manageable, yet still big size. My advice is, if you haven't had the opportunity to handle adult boas with somebody else' supervision, get a baby or a juvenile. They don't look that big, and compared to retics and burms, they're not that big. But you'll be surprised at how big and powerful they actually are. Some boas have accidentally strangled their handlers just by climbing around them and getting a hold of their neck, with no intentions to hurt. When it comes to boas and pythons, you need to absolutely make sure you have a good heating system. Boas can get respiratory infection quite easily, which can be deadly. A heat mat should work grand, but I'd check it frequently and make sure it's taped down to the vivarium properly and is in tight contact, as they don't work properly if they're not in contact. I'd also suggest using a heat bulb, but boas are known to get curious and investigate the heat bulb, leading to burns, so I'd suggest getting one with a guard. Really, other than that, they're not too much different to corn snakes, surprisingly, they are a lot more likely to bite if they feel threatened, but they're easily tamable.

Thanks a million for your detailed feedback. Would you recommend any where in particular to purchase a baby? I've seen them for sale on done deal but I'm a bit wary. In terms of the vivarium, could my corn snake vivarium house a boa for the first 12-18 months? Have you any knowledge of the smaller boa species? I think they are called pygmys or dwarfs, not certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

I've got no experience with dwarf boas. However, in general, dwarf species of snakes tend to have bad personalities, I know Hog Island boas usually only get to about 6 foot, it's a bit smaller than average, but I wouldn't really call it dwarf, they have nice personalities. If you're in Dublin, there's a shop called Reptile Haven, they have a huge stock of reptiles and should have baby boa constrictors, all their animals are in great health. Your corn snake vivarium should be grand to house a baby boa for the first year, if not more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭JonKelleher

I've got no experience with dwarf boas. However, in general, dwarf species of snakes tend to have bad personalities, I know Hog Island boas usually only get to about 6 foot, it's a bit smaller than average, but I wouldn't really call it dwarf, they have nice personalities. If you're in Dublin, there's a shop called Reptile Haven, they have a huge stock of reptiles and should have baby boa constrictors, all their animals are in great health. Your corn snake vivarium should be grand to house a baby boa for the first year, if not more.

Thanks again, really appreciate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

Reptile Haven on Fishamble Street has young boas.

In regards to BetterThanThou's advise I'd second a heat bulb, but definately use it with a guard, I put a boa pair into a new viv and half an hour later I came into the room to find they'd pulled the bulb down and smashed it

• Advertisement
Advertisement