Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Safest way to prop up bike via engine? (rear shock problem)

• 11-03-2014 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

So, my Ninja 250R 2010's rear suspension has decided to lock up. I have no idea if it's the shock or the swingarm pivots themselves.

There is absolutely no movement if I try to push the tail down, or pull it up. If the shock had went, I would still expect to be able to move the tail up and down, but I can't. The bike was in fairly constant use and this seems to have occurred suddenly without any tell-tale signs. I haven't had the brightness or the time to investigate further so far.

So I need to investigate this Saturday. I am hoping something has seized and is repairable with a cleaning and some grease.

My worry is how to safely prop the bike up? I have a front and rear stand, but obviously the rear is of no use if I need to test or remove the swingarm. I have some axle stands for cars, and access to blocks of wood, etc. I could probably find some car jacks too. Apart from that, I don't have proper equipment.

Sooooooo, tips on how to prop the engine up? I could probably use the rear stand to prop the bike up and shove something under the engine and take the rear stand off, but I'm more worried about the safest spots on the engine are to do this...? How does a normal motorbike jack work? Do the header pipes sit on it?

Ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Trolley jack and a piece of wood underneath to protect the engine, will need a front paddock stand too.......jack up as far north as you can go before you hit the fairing. Had to do this the other day with the sprint for the forks seals to be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Use a cable tie to lock the front brake on, put the side stand down and jack the other side as far toward the rear as you can on the frame or under the footpeg.
    This will lift the rear wheel and allow you to remove it. and investigate the linkage and shock.
    Remember to lock the front brake and use a wedge/block etc as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Use a cable tie to lock the front brake on, put the side stand down and jack the other side as far toward the rear as you can on the frame or under the footpeg.
    This will lift the rear wheel and allow you to remove it. and investigate the linkage and shock.
    Remember to lock the front brake and use a wedge/block etc as well.

Dunno why I didn't think of that! I've been doing that to oil the chain for ages -- usually can't be arsed using a paddock stand. Well, I used a block of wood under the swingarm.

Thanks for the ideas lads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

To make it safer for the bike get a few "bike" straps ( see pic - not the other kind with ratchets n stuff ) and tie it to the ceiling of the shed as well as the stands

Worth spending a bit of time at this bit - it'll get mangled if it falls off the stands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Am i the only one thinkin.."a 2010 bike with a knackered shock..?????"
    Have you checked that there isnt something stuck in the linkages..??
    The whole system would have to be seized to get no movement at all...even a collapsed roller will move some....

• Advertisement

Am i the only one thinkin.."a 2010 bike with a knackered shock..?????"
    Have you checked that there isnt something stuck in the linkages..??
    The whole system would have to be seized to get no movement at all...even a collapsed roller will move some....

Well that's what I thought, but as I said, I haven't had time to check properly, but there is absolutely no movement if I try to push the tail down, or pull it up. My guess/hope is that something is stuck there and it's a simple fix...highly doubt the shock is fooked...

The bike seems LOWER than normal, like it's stuck in the downward stroke...which would make sense if something was stuck there.

Will have time & light on Saturday.

rat_race wrote: »
    Well that's what I thought, but as I said, I haven't had time to check properly, but there is absolutely no movement if I try to push the tail down, or pull it up. My guess/hope is that something is stuck there and it's a simple fix...highly doubt the shock is fooked...

The bike seems LOWER than normal, like it's stuck in the downward stroke...which would make sense if something was stuck there.

Will have time & light on Saturday.

Sorry, just to add: I DID look for anything obvious, and saw nothing malicious...but it was dark and the bike wasn't raised, so pretty awkward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

I'd be wanting something replaced tbh.. couldnt trust it not to happen again after just a clean / oil

Wossack wrote: »
    I'd be wanting something replaced tbh.. couldnt trust it not to happen again after just a clean / oil

Yeah. But, depends what the problem is...could be something dumb. Looking forward to getting at it, (have never taken a swingarm/shock out before).

Will let you know what I find! Gotta drive it about 45km before I can work on it (most of my tools, etc. are in Wicklow -- I live in Dublin!). Hope I survive...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

Yikes, that sounds pretty ropey :o wouldnt be driving it anywhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,391 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Yeah, don't ride the bike! if the linkage frees up mid-corner the shock could either suddenly compress, or release, either could make you crash. Or the rear suspension might even collapse entirely - unlikely but until you know what's wrong with it you can't rule out anything. Seriously, don't ride it.

Scrap the cap!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057169527

Update there for anyone bored enough! ;) No joy unfortunately...need help!

Advertisement