Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does frost really damage mown grass.

• 11-03-2014 3:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭

Just like the title lads.
    My garden badly needs a cut. Not today but I'm wondering about tomorrow for a run with the mower up at the highest setting.
    It's not a fine lawn or anything. Just a garden.

Is is a myth about frost killing the grass or will it just stunt it.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,675 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have just cut my lawn, if there is frost I assume it will do no worse than burn the ends a bit, I can live with that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Just done mine today fairly low it looked awful so I took the chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭vinnie13

No won't do a bit of harm to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,192 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Walking on frozen grass does the damage as it breaks the frozen water (ice!) inside the leaves.
    The frost itself doesnt really cause any harm to grass, seedlings etc are a different story though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Those cut ends are susceptible to damage. They could yellow and get damaged. Weakened grass promotes weeds and moss. But in the long run the grass wont die and will recover. The advice is best practice and probably not so important to the average gardener. But the likes of the rhs do and should give best practice advise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Thanks.
    That was my feeling in it. Will try and get mower fired up this week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭secman

According to the infamous Gerry Daly............ No........ grass is quite tough and durable.... well able and will grow away once 6 degrees or better.

Secman

Advertisement