Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobs in IT Field....

Options
  • 11-03-2014 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

What is the Minimum Requirement to get a job in IT Field?:cool:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's a pretty big field...

Did you have anything particular in mind?
    Server admin, programmer, data entry?
    Any background with computers at all?
    Any training?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

One of the most under resourced (Imo) areas of IT is people who can look at both the business side and the IT side.

This is covered by both Business Analysis and good use of the likes of ITIL

I'd suggest starting in testing, then onto either.

If you have a love of code, then it's development.

If you are into VMware/hardware/Infrastructure, that's another area.

What are you interested in?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

There are no formal educational requirements to get a job in IT- people will look at your previous experience, and examples of specific projects you have undertaken or been part of.

There are specific areas that have more vacancies than others- and that are more portable- in programming it might be someone with good Java skills, there is almost a presumption that everyone has SQL, and once you get past the hard-slog, you'll need project management skills and general managerial skills (this applies even for very small teams).

If you elaborate a bit more and flesh out where you currently are at- and where you hope to go (i.e. a roadmap- you are currently at point A and hope to be at point B in 2-5-10 years time)- we might be able to give you a few pointers how to navigate the roadmap..........

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

There should be a sticky on this by now.

It is obviously a lot of people are asking this question as they don't understand it is an industry not a career.

It seems people are attracted to asking this due to the fact they hear there are jobs and/or great salaries.

OP.

People are going to basically tease out what you actually want to do and what aptitude you have. Basically it will come down to you doing some form of entry level job and spend about 5 years getting experience before you get a decent salary. If you are young and just starting out that is fine. If it is your second career you might find the low wages and workload tough.

Entry level positions normally require a lot of unpaid overtime. As most younger people don't have much in the way of commitments the workload isn't seen as problem. If you have commitments and have to go on time every day you probably won't get a pay rise or promotion in any short time.

In saying the work can be great fun and learning constantly keeps it interesting. If that is what you want

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Why do you want to work in IT?

What do you want to do in IT?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 pruthive

I study in college currently. I have coding experience in languages like java, HTML and studying few more now! I'm studying a diploma in computing and studied business communications and studying more coding. I would like to go into web developing field. I love coding! But I heard that I need to finish at least my BSc before I get a job in it field. Which I will start this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Do the B.Sc.

General advice:

Not sure how this happened, but it seems people who enter the IT field now think they need to learn programming languages rather than the concepts of programming. So I often see people saying they "know java" and now they are learning PHP or whatever.

The reality is learning a new language is very easy if you know how to program. The concepts are pretty much the same across languages, you're just learning new syntax.

So I recommend you really learn OOP (and I don't mean the concept of class/object, I mean real OOP). Get a good book on design patterns. Learn best practices. Things like SOLID. Unit testing. Writing specifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

A good portfolio is the minimum you need. Thats the short answer.

The real question is what do you need to have a good portfolio?

Previous post hits the nail on the head. Learn to understand the concepts and the syntax and your 90% there.

Advertisement