Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB Ports

Options
  • 11-03-2014 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭

Iv a second hand computer and it has too damaged USB ports on the motherboard and its making it short cuircut the PC won't start, it will load then its says to much power are going to the USB ports and it turn of then after 15 seconds how will I fix it or do I need to take out the USB ports ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

If the ports were just damaged I'd say you could get away with adding your own USB 3 PCI expansion card to your motherboard.

But short circuits aren't good.
    I think it's good that the motherboard detects this short circuit as it could be a fire hazard, so I really wouldn't be able to trust this machine unattended.

If you are really desperate... you could try disabling the USB ports in the BIOS.
    I imagine you can't just start desoldering parts from the motherboard easily unless you're an electronic engineer.

I'd let that old machine go, it's not worth the fire hazard.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭LukeyKid

If the ports were just damaged I'd say you could get away with adding your own USB 3 PCI expansion card to your motherboard.

But short circuits aren't good.
    I think it's good that the motherboard detects this short circuit as it could be a fire hazard, so I really wouldn't be able to trust this machine unattended.

If you are really desperate... you could try disabling the USB ports in the BIOS.
    I imagine you can't just start desoldering parts from the motherboard easily unless you're an electronic engineer.

I'd let that old machine go, it's not worth the fire hazard.

yeah one is clearly broke and the other just looks little messed up but i would say it is short circuiting, this is what is happening i just used the wrong term.

http://www.whoho.com/2011/03/usb-device-over-current-status-
    detected.html

Iv tried unplugging the front USB's didn't make a difference.

i cant get into the bios or nothing because of it, i'm no electronic engineer but i can use a soldiering iron and i couldn't see it being that bad to de-soldier the two USB ports please correct me if i'm wrong.

Problem solved, i de - soldered the USB ports and its working fine :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

Luckykid

CrinkElite wrote: »
    Luckykid

Tell me about it i was amazed when it turned on :L

• Advertisement

here are 2 picture one of the mother board of were i took out the socket and another of the computer installing windows :)

Advertisement