Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cable or Modem Router

Options
  • 11-03-2014 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi,

I'm trying to set my parents up with a new wireless network, I'm telling them to get a normal router just to plug their broadband into so they can get it around the house. They are sending me details or "Cable" routers and "Modem" routers, which one should I tell them to get?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭moonstomp

Hi,

I'm trying to set my parents up with a new wireless network, I'm telling them to get a normal router just to plug their broadband into so they can get it around the house. They are sending me details or "Cable" routers and "Modem" routers, which one should I tell them to get?

Do they have internet service to the house already?
    If so then they have a Modem already - this will be connected to the phone line or DSL cable depending on who supplies their Broadband. A router connects to the Modem and the Modem connects out to the internet.

http://pc.net/helpcenter/answers/difference_between_router_and_modem

There should (at the back of the Modem) be outlets allowing connection of additional devices.

You can attach a wireless Router by running a cable (Cat 5e or Cat6) from the back of the current Modem to the new Router. I recently added two Wireless Routers to my UPC Cable DSL home network and used these:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/EDIMAX-EW-7228APN-150MBPS-WIRELESS-802-11-B-G-N-ACCESS-POINT-WITH-5-PORT-SWITCH-/330748434642?pt=UK_Computing_Wireless_Access_Points&hash=item4d022498d2

Cheap and cheerful but they do the job. You may need to configure them by attaching a PC / Laptop to get them up and running. It only takes a few minutes.
    Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mccannalain

Cheers, that helps a lot. I've set up loads of routers for myself but didn't realised there were different ones so must've got lucky with the ones I bought! Ha, I dread trying to explain to them how to configure it :O might need to get screen shots and step by step instructions

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

If they already have a modem (sometimes from UPC) then you need a wireless router (no modem built in). If they have an internet connection but no router or modem then a modem router is what you need.
    Your a little vague in what you require?
    You can have a home network setup with out a broadband connection but that's pretty pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭moonstomp

Cheers, that helps a lot. I've set up loads of routers for myself but didn't realised there were different ones so must've got lucky with the ones I bought! Ha, I dread trying to explain to them how to configure it :O might need to get screen shots and step by step instructions

Here's the manual for the Edimax. Though it might scare the hell out of them!
    It's actually a lot easier to set up than it looks. :)

http://www.edimax.com/images/Image/manual/Wireless/EW-7228APn/EW-7228APn_Manual_v1.1.pdf

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Could you clarify who is supplying their broadband?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 mccannalain

@moonstomp thanks for that, I'll see if they can understand the manual.

@dub45, I think it's Eircom, would that make a difference?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

If they have Eircom maybe they already have a wireless router with an integrated modem have you checked what actual model they have?

Advertisement