Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What breed of beef do you prefer?

Options
  • 11-03-2014 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭

Not wanting to hijack finix's thread about how we like our steaks , and post #99 about the breed of cattle we prefer, I thought I'd ask you guys.

Hereford is much too lean for my tastes. Male Jersey calves are apparently available at €6 :eek: at the marts because their growth/feed ratio makes them uneconomical for farmers to rear to beef. I haven't tasted Wagyu beef, Dexter or (knowingly) any other identifiable breeds.

I'll go for Angus most of the time but I'd like to see all beef labelled with the type of beast that it came from.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The problem with labelling the breed is that an awful lot of beef cattle are cross breeds.
    To be honest, I don't know which I prefer for steak but I do know that buffalo makes amazingly flavoured stews/casseroles. I've done a buffalo tail and I've done a red wine stew with buffalo pieces (not sure from where) and they were the tastiest stews I've made.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

The problem with labelling the breed is that an awful lot of beef cattle are cross breeds.
    To be honest, I don't know which I prefer for steak but I do know that buffalo makes amazingly flavoured stews/casseroles. I've done a buffalo tail and I've done a red wine stew with buffalo pieces (not sure from where) and they were the tastiest stews I've made.

That sounds awesome. I know they're making water-buffalo mozzarella here now so it stands to reason that meat becomes available sometimes.

Dubl07 wrote: »
    That sounds awesome. I know they're making water-buffalo mozzarella here now so it stands to reason that meat becomes available sometimes.

That's exactly where it comes from;)

That's exactly where it comes from;)

You're well-connected! :D

Dubl07 wrote: »
    You're well-connected! :D

Not really, it sells in The English Market, Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

My Daddy's!
    I know it's sorta irrational, but the beef at home, done up by the local butcher from the factory carcass, is unbeatable.
    He has 2 "herds" - angus, and then crosses - mainly Charolais/Hereford.
    My uncle breeds bull beef, Charolais/Fresian crosses - and I have had good steak from them.

I tend to buy Angus in the shops - mainly because I know farmers get a premium for it, and they tend to be the smaller beef farmer.

I tried Kobe beef before - wasn't overly impressed. Give me a neat little angus bullock anyday. Grand quiet beasts, as the father says!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Worked in the three sectors- farming, marts and finally a slaughter house.

Most of the AA/HE beef that is advertised in stores is only half that breed.
    The ID cards contain sire breed and this is what is used to determine the sectors it will be divided into if necessary.

As mentioned above ,many AA/HE breeders are from smaller farms OR dairy. But have to be of a certain age and have under a certain number of movements between herds before it gets the status.
    If you want to know any more just ask:D

Personally, I like a BB (Belgian Blue) animal ,heifer if possible ,nice bit of fat marbling and tender flesh. A BB/AA or BB/HE is ideal.

Thanks, Kovu, that's very informative. Having seen my share of bullocks being fattened over the years in fields around various parts of the country I wondered quite a bit because each looks very individual and quite unlike the pedigree Angus on a friend's Texan ranch.

I know a wide genetic mix is important for animal health but I buy spuds based on particular varieties and producer. It would be helpful as a consumer to know more about what I'm purchasing by way of meat, game and poultry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

Was watching the hairy bikers yesterday and they cooked Kobe beef. Seemingly it can be thousands of pounds a kilo. Obviously I've never had it but it's the bees knees of beef they play opera music to these cows as they are so prized and they groom them daily as a type of massage. When I saw the cuts of beef it appeared more pink than red due to the marbelling

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I would always have said angus or Hereford heifers , but I've been swear by it .... Always though smaller grass fed animals, better but had some cracking beef in Argentina I'm guessing was feedlot finished, had some huge rough cut chunks of steak given by a neighbour who works in a major meat plant ,looked rough tasted great...
    Nicest that I remember the specific breed was Dexter ,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement

Markcheese wrote: »
    I would always have said angus or Hereford heifers , but I've been swear by it .... Always though smaller grass fed animals, better but had some cracking beef in Argentina I'm guessing was feedlot finished, had some huge rough cut chunks of steak given by a neighbour who works in a major meat plant ,looked rough tasted great...
    Nicest that I remember the specific breed was Dexter ,

I'd love to try Dexter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Black angus for burgers, Kobe for steak.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 cattle fanatic

definitely a nice Hereford steak - delicious!!

Meat all depends on how it is cooked though really. I like mine nice and rare!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

I had a wagyu steak when I was in Australia. It was amazing, never had a meal like it.

Kobe is on my food bucket list!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Do you know are they from bull calves, or old cows?

I had a bulls tail in Spain once, 'twas pretty tasty alright.
    one of those black bullfighting bulls

In terms of type of beast, a premium heifer beats bull beef any day of the week

Do you know are they from bull calves, or old cows?

I had a bulls tail in Spain once, 'twas pretty tasty alright.
    one of those black bullfighting bulls

I think it was from an adult cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Anyone know if wagyu is available in butcher's or restaurants in Dublin area?

Slunk wrote: »
    Anyone know if wagyu is available in butcher's or restaurants in Dublin area?

James Whelan Butchers (in Avoca Monkstown and Rathcoole) may have it - it's in their online shop. €44 for 2x12 oz sirloins for example. Phone first though - they breed it themselves and supply is very limited.

• Advertisement
Advertisement